Physx or Havok?

Started by
12 comments, last by superoptimo 15 years, 1 month ago
Sorry guys, I know it is a very old question. However, despite many hour's searching, I still cannot find my answer. I am currently using ODE, which I think is a little under-documented and inconvenient to use. I would like to change to either PhysX or Havok. What I want to do is simple cases like one or several human characters interacting with each other or with the environment. And I want to do it in a dynamic way which means I have to use rigid bodies to build a human first, set the joints and use torques to activate the human model. Because of the heavy load of computation of dynamics models, I would like to make it faster(I heard that PhysX currently transfers a lot physical computation to GPU, do I have to get a special graphics card for that?). However, I also have heard some complains about the PhysX, less stable, buggy and so on. In addition, another reason that I want to change my physics engine is that I want to beautify my animation without having to code everything myself like building a complex terrain or beautiful clothes. Can anyone help me out? Great thanks!
Advertisement
I'd go with Havok, it has been around longer and doesn't prefer any system over another. PhysX will not be GPU accelerated unless you own an NVidia 8-series or newer card, or an actual PhysX card. Just my two cents.
Is Havok free now? I thought a license was still in the hundreds of thousands...

PhysX is free and IMHO just as dope as Havok (I've used both professionally)

-me
Quote:Original post by Palidine
Is Havok free now? I thought a license was still in the hundreds of thousands...

-me

When I looked last time only PhysX was free, it seems to be available for Windows, Linux, xbox360 and the PS3 (I can't seem to find any info about a Mac version which is really odd though).
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Havok is also free.
Quote:Original post by SimonForsman

-me
When I looked last time only PhysX was free, it seems to be available for Windows, Linux, xbox360 and the PS3 (I can't seem to find any info about a Mac version which is really odd though).
Havok is free, at least for non-commercial use. PhysX is used on the Mac by several commercial games, but it appears to be impossible to obtain the Mac version without a commercial license. NVidia has mentioned PhysX capable GPU drivers for the high end Macs sometime this year, but whether the SDK will be available is another matter.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Quote:Original post by swiftcoder
Quote:Original post by SimonForsman

-me
Havok is free, at least for non-commercial use. PhysX is used on the Mac by several commercial games, but it appears to be impossible to obtain the Mac version without a commercial license. NVidia has mentioned PhysX capable GPU drivers for the high end Macs sometime this year, but whether the SDK will be available is another matter.

I am pretty sure you can not obtain a Mac version of Havok without a commercial license as well, at least thats how it was the last time I checked.
Remember Codeka is my alternate account, just remember that!
Thank you guys, I am doing a research project, a non-commercial one. And it is highyly possible I have to code in Windows XP
I've personal experience with PhysX, and I found it to be well documented, and very fast. But from what I heard, the same goes for Havok :-) The one single fact that makes our development live much harder is the fact that PhysX insists on its runtime installation. You can't link statically to it, you can't simply put the neccessary DLLs into your executable folder. You *have* to install a runtime setup on your target machine, and there's quite a chance that it will conflict in some way with a earlier installment and simply doesn't work.

After using PhysX for about two years now in our game we consider switching to Havok.
----------
Gonna try that "Indie" stuff I keep hearing about. Let's start with Splatter.
Quote:Original post by crane
Thank you guys, I am doing a research project, a non-commercial one. And it is highyly possible I have to code in Windows XP

Perhaps you should consider other libraries - see the Sticky thread.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement