Incoming hilarity: abaraba is back, and this time he's fixated on P2P networking!

Started by
81 comments, last by eq 14 years, 7 months ago
You folks may remember abaraba from his "fix your timestep" internet crusade: http://gafferongames.com/2008/10/20/fix-your-timestep-crazy-internet-stalker/ Now he's back to make sure that everybody switches from client/server to P2P networking!
Quote:i wish to argue how peer-to-peer model is faster, much faster, than currently popular server-client model… and in fact, it has so many advantages over S/C that it is mindbogglingly unexplainable why in the world no online multiplayer game use it. why, why, why? but, if there are any games to use it after all, then please let me know about them. ok, here it goes...
his rationale for all this?
Quote:P2P updates are asynchronous, there is no FAST/SLOW here, no waiting – you only have FURTHER and CLOSER, and further is not SLOWER it is only more behind in the past, but the rate of update is NON INTERRUPTED, has CONSTANT streaming flow. theoretically working on FULL 60Hz and more, where frequency only depends on upload bandwidth, size of packets and number of peers. there is no lag, no glitches, no slowdowns, no waiting on server… only time dilation, depending only on DISTANCE.
(boggle?!) read on for pure hilarity: http://gafferongames.com/game-physics/networked-physics/#comment-11576 cheers all
Advertisement
He suckered us in already.
yeah the 2 deleted threads should tell you something. Didn't realize it was the same person. :P
Just read through that whole thread - the thing you guys need to understand here, and this is essential to really understand what that abaraba guy is all about - he's not a troll, he actually believes what he's saying.

Yep, he's actually that crazy.
Yeah, that was the impression I got as well. Stil, I wasted so much time replying to that thread before I realised that he actually had no interest in learning anything and clearly completely ignored parts of responses (and in some cases, entire responses) which didn't fit what he was trying say...

Oh well, live and learn :-)
My guess is that in addition to being stir-crazy, the guy has english as a second language - and doesn't really understand it too well. In fact, I highly suspect that he takes all replies to his posts and feeds them through google translate, replies in his native language, then google translates it back. Seriously, this would explain a hell of a lot :)
I made a post with math and took the time to refute his numbers. I have too much free-time. Hopefully I didn't make a mistake myself though.

It would be saner if he had any networking experience.

Oh yeah and how fast is a 56k modem? I mean is it really only 56 kilobits/sec max? I haven't seen one in years so I forgot what speed they ran at.
I'd *love* to see this guy sweating it out actually trying to ship a console game. Especially considering the 360 TCR that you must function at 64kbit/sec up and down ... try doing that with P2P @ 32 players. I'm waaay too lazy to do the math right now (it's 12:35AM on a sunday night), but the packet header overhead would probably eat up the entire 64kbits, especially if he goes with the 60Hz packet send rate!!! :)
Mandatory Unskilled and unaware of it link.

It's like talking to a wall. That's just too scary, he may actually suffer from a condition.

P2P is a pain in the ass. The extra bandwidth requirement and update rate are trivial problems when compared to host migration, and achieving consistency (with exotic NAT router settings and all), packet forwarding, ect...

15peers @ 60hz, you'd be way over the requirements of 64bk/s, your updates would have to be 9 bytes in size, which is less than the actual packet header size. Especially on consoles where you have extra security overheads.

Maybe he is the long lost brother of the guys who found a way to compress everything into one byte (cant find the thread here but it was pretty funny).

Everything is better with Metal.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement