• Create Account

Solved: [SlimDX] Another Force Feedback Question

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 munawar   Members   -  Reputation: 152

0Likes

Posted 24 October 2009 - 09:51 AM

Hi, I've been playing around with force feedback in DirectInput; I redownloaded the Managed DirectX sdk since it's somewhat close to SlimDX. I've tried converting a sample from MDX to SlimDX but am having trouble. What I'm trying to achieve is a rumble on my force feedback joystick. I create the EffectParameter structure, fill it in, and then create the Effect object with it. I get the following error: SlimDX.DirectInput.DirectInputException was unhandled Message="DIERR_INCOMPLETEEFFECT & VFW_E_NO_TYPES & DMO_E_NO_MORE_ITEMS: The effect could not be downloaded because essential information is missing. For example, no axes have been associated with the effect, or no type-specific information has been created. & One of the specified pins supports no media types. (-2147220986)" Source="SlimDX" StackTrace: at SlimDX.Result.Throw[T](Object dataKey, Object dataValue) at SlimDX.Result.Record[T](Int32 hr, Boolean failed, Object dataKey, Object dataValue) at SlimDX.DirectInput.Effect.SetParameters(EffectParameters parameters, EffectParameterFlags flags) Here's my code:
            int xAxisOffset = 0, yAxisOffset = 0;
            int nextOffset = 0;
			foreach (DeviceObjectInstance d in device.GetObjects()) {
                if ((d.ObjectType & ObjectDeviceType.ForceFeedbackActuator)
                    != 0) {
                    if (nextOffset == 0)
                        xAxisOffset = d.Offset;
                    else
                        yAxisOffset = d.Offset;
                    nextOffset++;
                }
}
Effects eff1 = null;
            Guid forceFeedbackGuid = EffectGuid.ConstantForce;

int[] offsets = new int[2];
            offsets[0] = xAxisOffset;
            offsets[1]=yAxisOffset;
            int[] coords = {0, 0};
            EffectParameters info = new EffectParameters();
            info.Flags = EffectFlags.ObjectOffsets | EffectFlags.Cartesian;
            ConstantForce typeSpec = new ConstantForce();

info.Duration = 1000;
            info.SamplePeriod = device.Capabilities.ForceFeedbackSamplePeriod;
            info.Parameters = typeSpec;

info.Gain = 5000;

info.SetAxes(offsets, coords);

info.StartDelay = 500;

eff1 = new Effect(device, forceFeedbackGuid, info); //This is the line i get the error on.
		}
I'm still fairly new to force feedback, so I'm probably missing something obvious. Any help would be greatly appreciated! After looking at an effects file i realized I failed to set trigger button to -1. Everything works fine now. [Edited by - munawar on October 25, 2009 9:22:18 PM]

Sponsor:

#2 munawar   Members   -  Reputation: 152

0Likes

Posted 24 October 2009 - 10:31 PM

Hi,
I made a mistake in my last post. I set up the effect like this--assuming info is filled in:
eff1 = new Effects(device, forceFeedbackGuid);
eff1.SetParameters(info, EffectParameterFlags.None);

I've tried giving it different combinations of flags but that doesn't work either.

When I try it the way I described in my first post:
eff1 = new Effect(device, forceFeedbackGuid, info);
I get an invalid parameter error, something like "an invalid value was passed to the returning function."

#3 munawar   Members   -  Reputation: 152

0Likes

Posted 25 October 2009 - 07:08 AM

Hi,
I think I've gotten everything confused here. I just ran the "feedback" sample in managed dx and it told me I have no force feedback devices attached to the system (it uses the forcefeedback enumeration to enumerate devices, and that returned null.) My joystick does have "vibration feedback" though. So am I correct in assuming that "vibration" is different from true "force feedback?" Do the effects in DirectInput only handle force feedback (E.G. forcing a joystick control left or right,) and can they also handle just activating the vibration motors. If you can activate vibration motors with Direct Input, how is this done? Sorry for all these posts! :). I seem to be bouncing around the place but hopefully someone can clear things up for me. I'm using August 2009 SlimDX version.

#4 iliak   Members   -  Reputation: 275

0Likes

Posted 31 October 2009 - 09:06 PM

Do you have a working code ? I'm trying to achieve a simple force feedback effect.
- Iliak -
[ ArcEngine: An open source .Net gaming framework ]
[ Dungeon Eye: An open source remake of Eye of the Beholder II ]

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS