Where to go from this story?

Started by
35 comments, last by Telastyn 14 years, 6 months ago
Hello folks. I'm sure glad this forum exists. I've my share of questions. I am an undergrad, and my background is summarized here (EDIT: Link removed). I do not want to pay for college as I am nowhere near ready to put myself 62 grand in the hole. I met one of the mods here in a Starbucks, and he told me that he did not have to go to college; he just showcased his work and ended up with who found him impressive. I liked that, so I decided to try it. Just one problem... I now live in Mississippi. I'm in no rush to get out the door, but I have good skills to share and I would prefer to make use of them for profit soon. The link above takes you to my 2-3 week old site, so there isn't too much content, but enough in the portfolio to show a little of what I can do. What would be a good move for me from here? All I know how to do in the business here is to toss more work on my site and cross my fingers, hoping opportunity will call me in this yokel-ridden state. [sick] [Edited by - zyrolasting on November 4, 2009 10:35:04 AM]
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by zyrolasting
1. ...I do not want to pay for college
2. ...I now live in Mississippi. ...cross my fingers, hoping opportunity will call me in this yokel-ridden state.

1. Okay, then you have to build a doubly spectacular portfolio.
2. Wrong. This is Stupid Wannabe Trick #6. You cannot get a call from Opportunity while you live in a bad location. Read http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson24.htm - stop doing those things, and start doing these things instead: http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson27.htm Opportunity is not going to Mississippi. You have to go to Opportunity.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote:Okay, then you have to build a doubly spectacular portfolio.

On it.

Quote:Wrong. This is Stupid Wannabe Trick #6. You cannot get a call from Opportunity while you live in a bad location. Read http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson24.htm - stop doing those things, and start doing these things instead: http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson27.htm Opportunity is not going to Mississippi. You have to go to Opportunity.

Wrong yourself. You say it like it's easy. Do you think I'd move to a hellhole like MS out of desire? Like I opened a brochure and said "Hey, I want to go there"? I moved here because I did indeed have an opportunity to take. Unfortunately it wasn't for the VG industry, but I needed some income to make that happen for me. Please don't toss out references and head off like you made a real contribution. Even if they are just words, "Stupid Wannabe" is an ignorant title to toss out if you pose as a "Stupid Wannabe" E-Psychiatrist. By the way, don't be offended. These are just words.

Seriously though. I'm not trying to pick a fight. Just please put more thought into what you say, rather than parrot articles without any idea of their impact.
To give you a better idea of what I'm looking for, it's more of what to do from a situation like mine. My options are quite limited here. I have little money, there is nothing video game related anywhere. Got any advice on grabbing digital opportunity?

Thanks for the references, anyway.
Wrong yourself. You say it like it's easy. Do you think I'd move to a hellhole like MS out of desire? Like I opened a brochure and said "Hey, I want to go there"? I moved here because I did indeed have an opportunity to take. Unfortunately it wasn't for the VG industry, but I needed some income to make that happen for me.

So save money until you can move. But seriously, video game opportunity is NOT going to come to you there in Mississippi. How can you possibly believe realistically that it will?

Just please put more thought into what you say, rather than parrot articles without any idea of their impact.
Er... you do realize he wrote those articles, right?
Quote:To give you a better idea of what I'm looking for, it's more of what to do from a situation like mine.
Be willing to move, or give up.
Quote:So save money until you can move. But seriously, video game opportunity is NOT going to come to you there in Mississippi. How can you possibly believe realistically that it will?

Believe me, I don't! You are totally right in that respect.
You could say I'm teetering on Stupid Wannabe Trick #3.
I don't want to jump in too quickly, but I've been one to want to find some sort of placeholder to get some On-The-Job training. It's one thing for me to make my own efforts alone, and another to observe or get a feel of the work actually being done.

Thing is, any chance I have of doing that costs money. A lot of money. My goal here is to try and compromise these two issues. Sorry about not clearing that bit up. Your documents are well-written and I'm still reading them, but understand that it is a touch elitist. It is helpful information, though. :)

Quote:Er... you do realize he wrote those articles, right? Be willing to move, or give up

My apologies. I had a lapse in judgment, since I do believe that relocating is one of the most difficult things I can do right now, and I thought it was a little pissy to tell me to "just do it" when I'm over here wishing I could. My response was hasty. Take my word for it, I am more than willing to get out of here. The redneck next door is trying to convert me.

[Edited by - zyrolasting on November 1, 2009 11:41:40 AM]
1. You could say I'm teetering on Stupid Wannabe Trick #3.
2. Your documents are well-written and I'm still reading them, but understand that it is a touch elitist.
3. I am more than willing to get out of here. The redneck next door is trying to convert me.

1. I realize that it's difficult to overcome impatience. Many things worth doing are difficult.
2. If it was easy to get into the game industry there would be no need for any of those articles. People in the industry would be just saying "come on in, the water's fine," and we wouldn't sound elitist. But it's not easy to get in. So we seem elitist, I suppose. And since my articles are there to show you how to overcome the difficulties of getting in, I have to wonder how that's being elitist?
3. I don't know if he's trying to convert you into a redneck or to his religion. But conversion requires willing cooperation from the convertee. So it doesn't matter if he's trying to convert you. He's obviously not elitist, I guess. (^_^) BTW, you'll get people trying to convert you no matter where you go. My articles are my attempt to convert people too, I suppose. I'm trying to convert them into thinkers and effort-makers, if anything.

Quote:3. I don't know if he's trying to convert you into a redneck or to his religion.

Given his speech mannerisms I can't tell either. I mostly stare while he does what I can only guess is speaking ==> [sick] ( But seriously, religion. Agnostic here. )

As for your articles: You've been bookmarked. Your intentions are lovely, I'm just still defensive on doing what I have to do with the lack of funds. No hard feelings. [smile] I'll just keep saving. Definitely have to put off any hopes of getting a Quadro GPU for a while.

I spoke to my father about our conversation to get his input since he's a good businessman. (Yes, in Mississippi. Long story.) He told me that a college degree is a great way to aim to be working for someone else, but is not a high priority when it comes to building one's skills independently. I don't have a problem with working for someone else for a bit, but my long-term goal would be to have my own company. There was also the mod I met up with who had no high school diploma or a college degree and was working in a game company as a programmer. I'm not totally convinced on getting a degree. Do you have anything to add I should consider against that?

On a relevant note from that... What would you qualify as a doubly-impressive portfolio?

[Edited by - zyrolasting on November 1, 2009 12:56:51 PM]
I've given all the arguments I've got as to why one should get a degree, if possible. Not only in the FAQs on my site but also in my IGDA columns.
No, I didn't read your story or look at your portfolio. It would not change my advice.
I'm sure someone else will have a look at your portfolio and give you feedback on it.

Well, thanks anyway. I appreciate your input and I'll work it out.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement