Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Flatland: The Video Game

Started by Ezbez Jan 5, 2010 at 12:46 PM 6 replies 7.6k views
Original Post
Ezbez
Ezbez
What if a video game took place in Flatland? It is not the Victorian era social commentary of Flatland that resonates as a game play mechanic but the introduction of higher dimensions to a previously "flat" 2D world. A Square, with the help of his friend the sphere, would have exactly the kind of powers that make up a gimmicky platformer or puzzle game, not to mention some potential educational value. So embrace the gimmick and brainstorm what game play this could open up! The primary challenge I see is that the powers of having extra-dimensional aid are too great. The sphere could lift our friend the Square up out of Flatland and place him back down at his destination, avoiding all platformer-style obstacles in the way. Most standard puzzles would be easily avoided this way, too; any locked door can be gotten around, any blocks rearranged, any button pressed, etc. In short, there must be some way to restrict sphere's powers. But restrictions on Sphere's powers would be hard to come by if they are only in Flatland. We could make Sphereland restrictions that, too, block Sphere. A 3D box with the goal inside, could intersect Flatland and act as a barrier to both Square and Sphere. But this weakens the Flatland setting of the game; the only true obstacles are the ones that exist in Spaceland! The obstacles have to interact interestingly with both Spaceland and Flatland, otherwise we are squandering the gimmick. For this, we might be saved by some abilities that Square has that Sphere cannot. For example, our 3D box in Spaceland intersecting Flatland might have an infinitely thin slit (conveniently in the same place as Flatland!) through which Square could fit comfortably but which would shame poor Sphere. But I have yet to think of any interesting puzzles or game play that could be worked out with this scheme. Does anyone else have thoughts? Some other ideas:
  • Sphere can flip 2D things over, making them their mirror image. This is otherwise impossible in Flatland.
  • Some restrictions originating in Flatland may still pose a challenge in Spaceland: a rope between two blocks can still connect the two in three dimensions.
  • There is the possible mechanic of being able to move Flatland through Spaceland. As the plane of Flatland intersects different parts of Spaceland objects, they might grow, shrink, suddenly change, or even disappear abruptly. Objects in Flatland could still block the movement of Flatland; a Flatland object inside an enclosed 3D box still would stop all of flatland from moving (so long as the 3D box is fixed).
  • This idea can, of course, be extended to higher (or lower, I suppose) dimensions as the Edwin Abbott would encourage us to do. However, I think that the possibilities of Spaceland being aided by Hyperspaceland shouldn't be considered too deeply until the Flatland-Spaceland relationship is fleshed out, game play wise.
  • Flatland need not be entirely "flat"! It could be Sphereland, for instance, where our (non-Euclidean) Square is restricted to the surface of a sphere. Or Rubberland (as one might call it), which can be stretched and distorted easily in three dimensions. Or Torusland where such well-known characters as Pacman reside.
NickGravelyn
NickGravelyn
I had once discussed with my friend the possibility of a Flatland first person shooter. The entire game taking place in a single row of pixels where you had to use the shading of the lines to determine shapes and decide who to kill and who to not kill.

I'm still considering implementing that at some point. :P

Tim Ingham-Dempster
Tim Ingham-Dempster
Thats a really good idea for a game. I haven't had much chance to think about it, but a few things would spring instantly to mind if I were making this:

Everything in Flatland would be a slice through Spaceland. That would avoid the problems you mentioned with a Spaceland object being too powerful, it would probably also help the gameplay by making the whole thing consistant.

Hyperspaceland could feature, but only when the game was played in a 3d spaceland mode.

Flatland could become Reimannian land and have some nice relativistic gameplay. That may be a little hard to code.

I can't think of any specific puzzles or gameplay off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are plenty.
ernow
ernow
Makes me think of Super Mario Paper
Ezbez
Ezbez
@NickGravelyn: I've considered that, too, but can't think of anything truly interesting to do with the idea.

@Tim Ingham-Dempster: I feel that having everything in Flatland simply be a slice of a Spaceland object takes away somewhat from the setting. The original Flatland was about the exploration of trying to understand a higher dimension. I'd like to capture or extend that idea into this game and having everything actually in Spaceland seems to make this exploration less necessary or substantive.

The Riemann-geometry-land is what I was getting at with Sphereland and Rubberland in the other ideas, though you are quite correct that this creates some additional difficulties!

Glad you like the idea!

@ernow: Interesting game. I've never played it before, but it seems to be a little different.
Tim Ingham-Dempster
Tim Ingham-Dempster
Yeah, I think your right, it would defeat the object to have flatlad just be a slice of spaceland. As I said it was what jumped to mind immediately.

Following the theme of exploring a higher dimension, how about square being a flatland mathematician who has to discover the properpties of spaceland? He could be giving a lecture at the Royal Flat Institute and have to demonstrate the various ways that spaceland behaves. Each aspect that he has to demonstrate would be a puzzle to solve, with later puzzles growing in complexity as various aspects are combined together.

If you are interested in exploring relativistic concepts then I would recomend making spaceworld {x,y,-ict} and not having real-time coincide with gametime at all. In other words the player would be able to run time forwards and backwards. This should make the coding manageable, as long as you don't try and show the inside of a black hole. It would be a slight departure from the flatworld idea, but I don't think it would be manageable any other way.
ernow
ernow
Quote:
Original post by Ezbez
@ernow: Interesting game. I've never played it before, but it seems to be a little different.


Yes it is different but what you described was what I (as a math addict and fan of Flatland) expected from Mario Paper. They took a different road.
Pete Michaud
Pete Michaud
Let's challenge a basic assumption. You're thinking that the people of Flatland are correct in that their world is 2D and flat. The reality is that it's only flat from their reference point. The reality is that:

1) The objects in their world have a 3rd dimension that they simply don't perceive or understand. So, to them it's a line which forms a "door". To you, the door protrudes in dtrange ways into the third dimension. That protrusion forms an obstacle for the sphere. Maybe it's easy to move a 2d thing past a flat door, but what if the door protrudes into the 3rd dimension, forming an obstacle for the sphere also.

2) The world itself must exist on some 3d surface. It doesn't have to be a flat plane -- no matter what the surface is, it'll FEEL like a flat plane to a flatlander. Maybe it's on the inside or outside of a sphere. Maybe it's on a spiral of decreasing width. Maybe it's on a mobius strip.

Maybe it's on the outside of a sphere that has gravity and the falloff for the gravity is very narrow so it's easy for the player sphere to roll around the surface, passing over 3d doors and whatever, but it's dangerous to "jump" or lift things off the surface because it's very easy to achieve escape velocity and go careening into 3D space. The difficulty then would be to lift things carefully.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.