I can has relocation?

Started by
8 comments, last by Rycross 13 years, 11 months ago
So I just graduated yesterday, and I am pretty aware that I will probably have to move if I want a decent job in the industry, so my issue isn't relocation itself. I am looking for junior programmer positions, and I am willing to relocate anywhere at my own expense. My problem is that I am on a pretty fixed budget. I have enough money to relocate myself, but not enough to last very long if I relocate. I am wondering what my best course of action is. Where would be the best place to relocate to? Should I find a crappy summer job and save up to make relocating easier or would that be a waste of time? Should I just continue applying for non-local jobs trying to get lucky? I've seen a lot of people recommending to relocate, I'm just looking for more tips on relocation itself other than that I should do it.
Advertisement
1. Relocate to a game development hub.
2. Get any sort of job to supplement your cash.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
Quote:Original post by way2lazy2care
1. Where would be the best place to relocate to?
2. Should I find a crappy summer job and save up to make relocating easier
3. or would that be a waste of time?
4. Should I just continue applying for non-local jobs trying to get lucky?

1. Read these:
http://gamedevmap.com/
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/m70.htm
2. It doesn't have to be crappy. It might have to be much longer than a summer.
3. Read this:
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson51.htm
4. No.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

While I can't speak for all game companies, generally most companies will part or all of your moving expenses, even if you're a junior programmer. When I started working in the industry at EA Canada, they were kind enough to pay my moving expenses (I moved 4500km, 3000 miles from Toronto to Vancouver). I left EA to work at a company closer to Toronto where my family was (moved back 4500km again) and they paid my expenses as well as well as helped arrange moving companies and took care of all the expenses without me having to get reimbursed for anything (they were a fantastic help).

What I'm getting at is that its better to get the job first then figure out where you're going to live, because most of these companies will pay these expenses and if they don't have the money, be cautious about them. If you pay out of your own pocket to move without having a secured job, you risk moving to an area only to have to move again once you get something. Good luck with everything.
Quote:Original post by shwasasin
While I can't speak for all game companies, generally most companies will part or all of your moving expenses, even if you're a junior programmer.

While I can't speak for all game companies either, generally most companies will NOT do that, not for untried beginners. There are exceptions to everything, though. Including the previous sentence.

I'm with Tom. Most companies will not pay for relocation for entry level/inexperienced staff because they don't need to. They usually have way more local applicants for any entry level positions than they need so there is no point in paying to relocate someone.

The same does not apply to experienced staff who are often hard to find (global economic crisis aside) and hence many companies will go to the trouble and expense of relocating and arranging/paying for visas.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
When I started in the biz about 8 or 9 years ago, I moved from Scotland to London for a graduate programmer job and got paid relocation expenses. A year or so later I moved back to Scotland to work for a different games company, still a graduate-level position, and got paid relocation expenses too. I think most of my classmates from uni applying for jobs at the same time also got relocation expenses.

That was a while back though, the situation could be quite different now. It's worth asking though - they might offer to pay a small part of your costs, which is better than nothing. If they're serious about employing you, they're not going to get annoyed and ditch you for asking about relocation expenses.
Quote:Original post by Hinch
1. When I started in the biz about 8 or 9 years ago, I moved from Scotland to London for a graduate programmer job and got paid relocation expenses.
2. A year or so later I moved back to Scotland to work for a different games company, still a graduate-level position, and got paid relocation expenses too.
3. they're not going to get annoyed and ditch you for asking about relocation expenses.

1. There's an exception to every rule, including this one.
There are exceptional stories to be told about every "rule" you hear about on this forum, including the "no relocation reimbursement for raw wannabes" rule.
2. Well, that story is not as remarkable. Once you have experience, you're not a raw wannabe anymore.
3. Sure. Doesn't hurt to ask.
The main point is that relocation reimbursement can be hoped for but not counted on.

Quote:Original post by Hinch
That was a while back though, the situation could be quite different now. It's worth asking though - they might offer to pay a small part of your costs, which is better than nothing. If they're serious about employing you, they're not going to get annoyed and ditch you for asking about relocation expenses.

Precisely. As an example, the place I currently work for wasn't originally going to pay anything for my relocating, but after asking and discussing it (politely!) they settled on paying for half of the expenses.

In answer to the other question, I don't really recommend sitting around until you find a job. Pick up some part time work, work on side projects, do things to keep yourself busy. It's much more impressive to an employer to see that you've been working on your own little side project in your free time rather than sitting around for months while trying to find work. Just my two cents.
---------------------------Visit my Blog at http://robwalkerdme.blogspot.com
I can't speak for game development jobs, but I've moved around a lot for normal software development jobs, and met a lot of people who've done likewise..

It doesn't actually hurt to apply for non-local jobs, so I'd go ahead and do so. Again, I can't speak for game development jobs, but you may have more luck trying to get a position at a traditional software development company in a game development hub, and use that to get yourself established, then swap to a game dev job after a year or two. They will likely not pay for relocation expenses, but your expenses will probably not be all that great right out of college.

You should not limit yourself to non-local jobs though. Most people I knew relocated for work right out of college, but quite a few had to work locally for a while before moving. You can always get a local entry level position for about a year and save like a madman.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement