Junkers - Indie Project

Started by
13 comments, last by dood 12 years, 5 months ago
Project name: Junkers Brief description: For the past month I've been creating artwork and mockups while defining the game with a design document. I've toyed with this game idea for a long time and I believe I have something that is achievable, unique and most of all fun. Junkers is a fast paced, squad-based game with emphasis on quick tactical thinking and a fun retro-game vibe. Players control a team of "Junkers", men who raid derelict spacecraft for valuable machinery, technology and equipment. Things are made tough however by competing Junker teams, the alien "bugs" that infest the ships and the dangers of space and the ships themselves. PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
- Video doesn't make much sense but it gives an idea of the feel. Target aim: Foremost this is a labor of love and an opportunity for game design experience. A retail worthy outcome is the eventual goal but I want to be realistic. Compensation: If the project reached a money making stage then revenue would be shared. Technology: PC and Iphone are the initial targeted platforms. Programming language and technology will be the coder's decision provided it can handle the game features, which are not especially advanced technology wise. Talent needed: A single talented, capable coder is what I need. The game is not large in scope and won't require an advanced 3d engine or highly complex systems. Team structure: Myself, 3d artist and game design. I believe I can handle most if not all needed artwork for the project. I'd like to keep this a focused two man operation. You can see examples of my work at www.syaped.com Contacts: syaped at hotmail.com Previous Work by Team: I have no previous game project experience. Feedback: ANY [Edited by - Syaped on May 22, 2010 6:48:28 PM]
Advertisement
Amazing artwork! I have to say that I really like the headshot/side-view of the man with the turban - excellent! I'm sure though, that most people will respond to this post with the following:

"Please follow the template."

The template does in fact come in handy for those looking to help out with projects like these, with information such as compensation, previous work done, technology being used, what kind of game are you creating, etc. As a programmer, these are some things people wanting to help out want to know about.

This looks pretty cool, cant wait to be playing it :P. Good luck.
It is absolutely awesome! I enjoyed the trailer. Could you tell me a bit about what platforms you are targeting, and how the player controls the squads? Also, is the plan to render sprites from these characters, or go the 3D route? I guess 3D, judging from the polycounts, but looks can be deceiving.

Thanks for the compliments guys :D

Can I get a link to this template Krysis? Sounds like something I definitely should look at.

DogmaDZ, the plan is to go the 3d route for it's various advantages while keeping a 2d isometric look. Control is mouse point and click with lots of context sensitive commands and hotkeys to keep control as streamlined and quick as possible. The game is played in realtime however there are "planning" periods where the game is paused and actions can be stacked for more planned team maneuvers. I see the PC and Iphone/Ipad being the most suitable platforms.
The Template is not only Helpful but it is also Mandatory that help wanted posts be made using the template. Your thread will be closed by a mod if it is not updated following the template.

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=338886
In Development:Rise of Heros: MORPG - http:www.riseofheroesmmo.com
Wow, love the style, the characters & animations!

I wish you the best of luck!
We need concept artists for a metrid style 2D side-scroller, If you are interested please contact me at Everebirth@gmail.comThanks!
I can be a programmer here.:)
Sent you email.
Quote:
Junkers is a fast paced, squad-based game with emphasis on quick tactical thinking and a fun retro-game vibe.

Players control a team of "Junkers", men who raid derelict spacecraft for valuable machinery, technology and equipment. Things are made tough however by competing Junker teams, the alien "bugs" that infest the ships and the dangers of space and the ships themselves.

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

- Video doesn't make much sense but it gives an idea of the feel.

That looks and sounds like a nice successor of the x-com games (and I love the sound in your teaser!, why is it so damn short? :P).
Looks very interesting, and indeed quite fun. Contextual commands sounds like something that should be utilised to the fullest, especially if the game will be playable on hand-held devices.

Is the music in the trailer from the actual gameplay?
-------------------------
Daniel Ran
danielran.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement