Best free multi-platform GUI toolkit?

Started by
7 comments, last by Houdini 22 years, 8 months ago
Ok, a friend of mine has a good idea on an application we wish to write, however we want to release it on both Linux and Windows. At first we decided to just abstract the whole GUI and create our own concrete wrapper classes for XWindows and Win32 but in the end we decided that it would take too long to write create all of the classes that we''d need. So then we took a look at QT, which is a multi-platform GUI toolkit. It looked to be exactly what we needed, but the $1,550 price tag PER developer is way too high (You only need to pay that if you wish to sell your application, which we may want to). So my question is, is there any commercial quality multi-platform GUI API''s out there for free or at a small cost? - Houdini
- Houdini
Advertisement
Its not exactly what you need but GLUT might work.
If you''re doing a DirectX style application, go with SDL (www.libsdl.org). If you''re doing a window-dialog style application, go with wxWindows (www.wxwindows.org).

(my byline from the Gamedev Collection series, which I co-edited) John Hattan has been working steadily in the casual game-space since the TRS-80 days and professionally since 1990. After seeing his small-format games turned down for what turned out to be Tandy's last PC release, he took them independent, eventually releasing them as several discount game-packs through a couple of publishers. The packs are actually still available on store-shelves, although you'll need a keen eye to find them nowadays. He continues to work in the casual game-space as an independent developer, largely working on games in Flash for his website, The Code Zone (www.thecodezone.com). His current scheme is to distribute his games virally on various web-portals and widget platforms. In addition, John writes weekly product reviews and blogs (over ten years old) for www.gamedev.net from his home office where he lives with his wife and daughter in their home in the woods near Lake Grapevine in Texas.

http://www.fltk.org/

The most complete FREE Gui toolkit for windows and Linux. There is also a port for Mac but it is not complete. It has everything you would ever want!!.

By the way people, SDL is NOT a gui toolkit!!! It is a portable API for hardware abstraction.

Glut is a gui abstraction, but quite limited. To extend glut, there are a bunch of toolkit : Glow(my favorite), Glui and of course fltk and probably others I don't know about.

I use Glow because it very simple and my gui need are very limited. But if you want to create a full fledged application, fltk is the way to go if you don't want to pay money for your widgets.

Edited by - Gorg on August 16, 2001 11:59:22 AM
Try this link, it has a list of many guis and a description.

Maybe it can help you find what you are looking for :-)

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Vista/7184/guitool.html

-vissing

-Vissing-
quote:
By the way people, SDL is NOT a gui toolkit!!!

Nobody said it was.
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall
SDL is not a GUI toolkit, but since it provides platform independent access to the frame buffer, it is perfect for writing a platform independent GUI with. And some people have already released GUI add-on libraries for SDL, that are worth looking into.
I''d just like to echo johnhattan''s advice.

wxWindows is a great cross-platform UI library for applications (game tools etc). Its not really meant for an in-game UI (say, the type of UI in Unreal Tournament, or the basic menu-based UI most games have), so I think what he meant there is that for that type of thing, to be cross-platform, use SDL (with SDL_gui, or paragui or some other existing SDL UI extention).

Thanks for the replies guys. I''ve narrowed it down to GTK-- (C++ wrappers for GTK+), wxWindows, and fltk.

I''ll end up using one of these I''m sure.

- Houdini
- Houdini

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement