Help with simple AI, PLZ!!

Started by
4 comments, last by Mman 22 years, 8 months ago
Hi, I am programming a 3D game and I want to make an invisible path which my computer cars would fallow. Is it possible? and how do I go about it? Thanks a lot.
Advertisement
A specific path or a road to follow? Wouldn''t be much chance for the player if they was no variation in the path.

I am no expert. But, I would so for each poly they can be on on the road, you have a vertex pointing the general direction to go. If they arent pointing that way, they turn. If there is something in the way, they turn. If there is a hole, they turn. Etc, etc.

You could also toss in some neural nets and such to make them learn a little better, like turning into the curves a little more and all that. Maybe let them see ahead more, but its all up to you.
(http://www.ironfroggy.com/)(http://www.ironfroggy.com/pinch)
A: How is the world stored? As polygons? Tiles? Something else?
B: Is this simply a racing game?
C: If so, are there set start and finish markers?
I am using DX 7 under VB so I thinks the world is stored as polygons although I am not sure because I am using the RM Mode and it kind of makes the shapes for me, all I do is specify the size. It is not just a racing game. I am going to make it a mission based game in a city with full traffic and pedestrians.
Well, that''s about it. If you can help me, please do!
You don''t have your level data stored anywhere in memory? You''re just issuing tons of Direct3D commands like DrawPrimitive? That won''t work in a real game, because you need to access your world data for things other than drawing - all Direct3D does is deal with graphics. You''ll need to change your game architecture so you draw the contents of some kind of list or array - or some other way of storing level data in memory so that it can be accessed throughout the program.
Hmm, not quite sure what your talking about, every DX 3D game I''ve seen is the same. What about using the IM Mode? Will this work? With the IM Mode you create my own Vertex format and construct the world with Vertices rather then just shapes.
Thanks a lot TerranFury.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement