Need help with a MAJOR problem!

Started by
19 comments, last by Telastyn 13 years, 5 months ago
Quote:Original post by NateTheGreat22
O ok, I was just afraid that I would get bashed by a company because my resume would say that I'm an ITT tech grad, the school that every hates...

It isn't the problem that you expect.

Let's look at your first line:
Quote:ITT Tech - Albany campus majoring in Software Programming

On the one hand, the school offers accredited degrees. They meet certain standards.

On the other hand, that is a specialized trade degree, not an industry standardized degree. It is also a much shorter program than the industry standard degree.

In game development the typical programmer degree is in Computer Science. Accreditation requirements for the degree are standardized, unlike the specialized trade degree.

You can still find a job, you just need to be aware that your degree is not quite standard.
Advertisement
Thanks guys for all the feedback. I've decided I'm going to leave ITT Tech and apply to Globe Institute of Technology in NYC. Wish me luck! Thanks again, you guys really were a big help.
Thanks guys for all the feedback. I've decided I'm going to leave ITT Tech and apply to Globe Institute of Technology in NYC. Wish me luck! Thanks again, you guys really were a big help.

... that doesn't seem much better... Even something like one of the SUNY's would be a step up.
@ Telastyn.......its a 4 year school and preferred college on gamecareerguide.com. See for yourself...http://www.gamecareerguide.com/schools/551/globe_institute_of_technology_git.php
...and still a trade school.
O....well do you know anything about Westwood College? Just spoke to an advisor there and they seem pretty good. (I swear I'm confused and don't know what to do, I'm honestly just trying to be successful. Now that my football career is over with, my dream to work at gaming development company is all I have...)
Quote:Original post by Telastyn
O ok, I was just afraid that I would get bashed by a company because my resume would say that I'm an ITT tech grad, the school that every hates...

Not being able to make well formed forum posts properly is probably a more damning indictment than ITT...

QFE. Rule-of-thumb: Proper format is always important.

I had a hard time finding NateTheGreat22's question/s in the original ascii blob. So hard that I and many others are not even interested in whether they are interested to answer or not.
@ phresnel....I'm sorry if this is my first time ever writing on a forum (sarcasm). Honestly I think I've received everything out of this "post" or w/e you want to call it. Again thanks @Telastyn, @frob, @zerowolf, @yudhishthir, and everyone else for the help, much appreciated.
@ phresnel....I'm sorry if this is my first time ever writing on a forum (sarcasm).
It doesn't matter if the medium is unusual. If you want to work in a profession, you need to act professionally in *any* setting - and yes, that includes the internet.

Beyond that basic concern, when you apply for a job, chances are fairly good that someone at the company will google your name/screenname. You should be at least a little careful about what they will find...
Quote:well do you know anything about Westwood College?
Westwood is another of these distributed online universities. You should be looking at a traditional 4-year university, one with a campus, etc.
Quote:I swear I'm confused and don't know what to do, I'm honestly just trying to be successful.
If you just want to be 'successful', then game development is the wrong field: it has lower pay, longer hours and more stress than virtually any other computer science-related field.

If you are truly passionate about game development, then take the time to do it right. Ace your current semester at ITT, and attempt to transfer into a better 4-year university. If grades and/or finances are a problem, then a state school, probably one of the SUNY campuses. But if you have decent grades and can afford it, go for a high-end private institution: NYU is the obvious top-tier choice in that area, and there are several 2nd/3rd-tier schools as well.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Quote:Original post by Telastyn
Even something like one of the SUNY's would be a step up.

"Even"? I'm an SUNY grad.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement