Gdnet Black (Alpha)

Started by
60 comments, last by EDI 13 years, 1 month ago
Yeah, it is what lead to the post wars back in 2000/2001 IIRC
Advertisement
Axed the 'Group: Members' line for people who are just normal members.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Limited signatures to 100px. If they're taller than that, they should just get cut off.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This should make quotes and code blocks <span style="font-weight:bold;">everything</span> nicer:<br /> …<code> border-width: 1px 1px 1px 3px;<br /> font-size: 0.9em;<br /> margin: 0px;<br /> padding: 0px;<br /> </code><br /> </blockquote><br /> Fixed.<br /> <br /> I&#39;m actually building my own custom .css to replace my old one in stylish for the site. The padding, margin, and font-size elements are by far my biggest complaints on the new site.<br /> <br /> When I first started, I noticed lots of &lt;div … padding: 5px … &gt; &lt;div … margin-top=4px … &gt; &lt; div … height=&quot;way too much&quot;&gt;<span style="font-weight:bold;">content</span>&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/div&gt;. A few items had 20+ pixels of useless padding around blocks. The lines of text ads are one such offender.<br /> <br /> Just pruning those down gives me a much more readable site. The white space bothered my eyes much more than the color scheme.
Code blocks are pretty difficult to read in black mode, just my opinion.

Dark purple and dark green on black doesn't really stand out very much, looks kind of weird.
[size=2]My Projects:
[size=2]Portfolio Map for Android - Free Visual Portfolio Tracker
[size=2]Electron Flux for Android - Free Puzzle/Logic Game
To fix news posts on front page....post, ul.activity li {
background: #373737 repeat-x 0% 100%;
border-bottom: 1px solid #CFE3EF;
margin: 0px -10px;
padding: 1em 10px;}

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

Code blocks are pretty difficult to read in black mode, just my opinion.

Dark purple and dark green on black doesn't really stand out very much, looks kind of weird.

It was a quick hack to get them looking better.

If you have better suggestions, then contribute the CSS for them :)

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

A few observations on colors and readable web text:

[Qualifications: i do this for a living. ]

[Caveat: Contains personal views; subject to opinion]

Black text on white background: This is the highest contrast you can get and the easiest to read... or so some people claim. This works good for print but not web. Obviously, the bright white is not popular around here and that's because were talking about positive (emissive) color. Translation: it burns your eyes.

White text on black background:
You would think this would solve all the problems of the opposite, but it doesn't. It creates bad eyestrain for me.

Anything on midtoned background: congratulations, you've just cut the contrast down, which makes your eyes strain even more!

Best compromise IMNSHO:
Black text (#000) on off-white or light grey (#DDD) works well for me. This is also the format of the old GDnet on my account settings. (Surprise!)

The current Black Alpha uses a midtone/dark grey for the posting area with white text. This is actually really hard for me to read. My eyes hurt less than staring at white, but strain more to see.

I would recommend a dark page background, but use a black-on-off-white scheme for the actual post content area.
The whole point of this theme is to provide an option for those people who don't like black-on-white, though. Basing it around black-on-white text would somewhat defeat the purpose.

I like the deep black that shows in Washu's post. This gray-black is .... better than the bright default but not as good as the original black.

To add, original black background with gray-offset text would be great!

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement