Wrong career move?

Started by
27 comments, last by d000hg 13 years, 3 months ago
On the one hand, there's something to be said for instincts but on the other, three days seems a pretty short time to have an informed opinion about the job. If you're the technical lead, have you tried to take the lead or are you waiting for someone to hand you the reigns? Before you be direct to them about wanting to leave maybe be direct with them about what you're supposed to be doing there.
Advertisement

The existing codebase is bad, that's probably why they need you the most. Stay and leave your mark by improving their codebase. If they don't allow you enough room and autonomy to make the changes you would like to see, then let them know that you are unhappy.
Indeed. If you're hired as a lead, part OF your job is TAKING charge, not waiting to be given authority. Start acting like a lead. If explicitly told not to, ask why they hired you (if you're considering leaving anyway).

I was in a similar situation and i did improved the... well, no, i completely scrapped the old code and started over from scratch. The old code was TheDailyWTF worthy. The new code was much much better. Doing everything from scratch was hard

I don't have much real world experience, but I've worked at a university for 3.5 years with the freedom to scrap and start any project from scratch. If your company can afford it then it's an amazing feeling. I redid all of the university printing servers and software documenting everything from the very beginning and I haven't touched things really in like a year and a half.

Eeew, doing from scratch is a horrible plan. Then the next guy comes along and doesn't like your code, and decides to rewrite from scratch... meanwhile your competitors have shipped 2 new versions of their software based on "terrible" code and you are losing business.

'Oluseyi' said:

Also look into whether you can return to your old job.

That's an interesting suggestion. I do wonder though, has anyone here ever managed to pull that off?
I've had the option to, and I know people who have done it.

That's an interesting suggestion. I do wonder though, has anyone here ever managed to pull that off?

Happens all the time. I worked at a place that hired someone who quit before their first day of work and went back to their old job.

'Oluseyi' said:

Yes, I've seen it several times. I've never seen an immediate boomerang work in a professional work environment. It is different for those who return after an extended period rather than immediate boomerang.

You will be known as a flight risk at your returned job. After all, you left once. Regardless of the morality of the situation, you will be treated differently. Depending on the reasons for your return, you might be treated as a newfound slave since you refuse to leave, or you might be treated as a pariah or outcast.

Leaving a company, even if you left on good terms, has a big cost financially and emotionally. Even if on the surface you are welcomed back, your leaving will have caused a substantial rift. It may be better to wait a year or more before returning.

'hiigara' said:

The existing codebase is bad, that's probably why they need you the most. Stay and leave your mark by improving their codebase. If they don't allow you enough room and autonomy to make the changes you would like to see, then let them know that you are unhappy.
Indeed. If you're hired as a lead, part OF your job is TAKING charge, not waiting to be given authority. Start acting like a lead. If explicitly told not to, ask why they hired you (if you're considering leaving anyway).

Simply put, are you a leader or not?

Control is a myth. You can never be given control because that just isn't possible. You can be given authority, but that is not leading. When you start leading you inherently pick up both authority and the illusion of control. How you manage those perceptions is an important part of if you will succeed as a leader or not.

It is you who must become the leader. It is not conferred as part of a job title.
Sorry, but in reality you cannot simply aasume control of a work environment straight away. First off, its a very small company, the only other people there have been there from the beginning and are the domain (if not technical) experts.

Oluseyi, I had considered going back to my old job, but as others have said, I'm not sure that'd be a good move. They now know I want something they can't provide.
And for the record, part of the reason I got this job is because I have a track record of taking control when needed. However, that requires management who are receptive to good ideas. Not sure if that will happen here.

'hiigara' said:

I was in a similar situation and i did improved the… well, no, i completely scrapped the old code and started over from scratch. The old code was TheDailyWTF worthy. The new code was much much better. Doing everything from scratch was hard, but…

Anything I do now makes me look awesome compared to the last guy!

If you don't have the authority to make the code shine, then yes, i fully support you looking for other work. Better to work at a gas station and be happy than hate every day of your life.

I'd +1 this if I could. If you have the authority and you aren't a code monkey anymore you should be able to really make an impact, which could be great for you. Try to make the changes you want to see there. If they don't let you make those changes, THEN I'd say start looking around.

'Oluseyi' said:

I haven't, but I feel like as long as you left on good terms, they were aware of why you left, and they haven't filled the position you should be fine.

Also you shouldn't have done this:

Sorry, but in reality you cannot simply aasume control of a work environment straight away. First off, its a very small company, the only other people there have been there from the beginning and are the domain (if not technical) experts.

Oluseyi, I had considered going back to my old job, but as others have said, I'm not sure that'd be a good move. They now know I want something they can't provide.

They hired you for a management position though. If you can't take the bull by the horns your first day you should probably make way for somebody that can. Those "experts" are always going to be experts, if you are scared to delegate them now then that won't change six months from now.

Correct. Trust is earned and becoming the go-to guy is gained over time.

And for the record, part of the reason I got this job is because I have a track record of taking control when needed. However, that requires management who are receptive to good ideas. Not sure if that will happen here.

Getting hired into a lead capacity is risky that way. My short list:
* You must very rapidly gain trust.
* You must very rapidly become expert at something, and learn who the experts are for everything else.
* You must very rapidly establish your own leadership and sources of power. That leads to the illusion of control. Positional power (I'm the leader) is one of the weakest. You need to find and gain other sources. Probably the most easily available to you are informational power and resource powers. Probably the most useful when starting is the power of your own personal traits.
* You must very rapidly learn who can be trusted with your power, using it to take a leadership role rather than a micro-manager role. Leaders find ways to give away or delegate power, and when done correctly, delegating your power actually increases your own. Failure to give power to others reduces it. Giving it away improperly leads to unemployment. This is part of what makes leading so much fun.

What is your plan for those?

If you don't have a plan, there are many piles of excellent books on leadership, project management, and career building that can help. Visit your library and read up.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement