Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

visual c++ express and grid/spreadsheets

Started by kablammyman Feb 16, 2011 at 7:31 AM 4 replies 4.5k views
Original Post
kablammyman
kablammyman
Hello,

I'm wondering if there is a way to have a flexgrid or spreadsheet in my win32 app without using MFC. I only have the express version of visual C++ 2010, so MFC is out.

I have a 2d array that i need to show the user so he/she can edit/modify the contents of the array. I am making a rom editor program that will need this type of interface :

0506_ht_07_z+ecu_tuning+turboedit.jpg

Any ideas?

thanks in advance.
brx
brx
Do have any GUI so far?

You need a UI library/framework like Qt or wxWidgets. Both of these are free and can be used under the terms of the LGPL. I haven't used wxWidgets myself, yet, but I really enjoy working with Qt. By the way, even if MFC was an option for you, I'd still suggest to use one of the above, but that is only personal preference.
unbird
unbird
Since you're using VS and assuming this does not need to be cross-platform: Can you use C++/CLI ? In which case you have access to the .NET library and Windows Forms in particular. This exposes the DataGridView which is pretty flexible and easy to use.
kablammyman
kablammyman
Thanx for the replies guys. I thought CLI was disabled for the express versions of visual studio, but I think I am wrong about that; so I will have to check that out.

I'll also check out Qt and wxWidgets. If I run into a wall trying this stuff out, I'll post in this thread. Thanx again guys....I knew you guys would come thru!
unbird
unbird
...I thought CLI was disabled for the express versions of visual studio...[/quote]
Nope, even the GUI designer works (just checked with VS 2008 Express). Start a New Project/VisualC++/CLR/Windows Forms Application. Enable View/ToolBox. Drop controls to your form and change the properties.

For the custom cell coloring you wanna look at the DataGridView.CellPainting event IIRC.
kablammyman
kablammyman

...I thought CLI was disabled for the express versions of visual studio...

Nope, even the GUI designer works (just checked with VS 2008 Express). Start a New Project/VisualC++/CLR/Windows Forms Application. Enable View/ToolBox. Drop controls to your form and change the properties.

For the custom cell coloring you wanna look at the DataGridView.CellPainting event IIRC.
[/quote]

awesome, thanx! I have a free weekend (finally!) so, I have a chance to really figure this stuff out. Thanx again everybody!

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.