First Game Industry Interview

Started by
6 comments, last by MAEnthoven 13 years, 2 months ago
Yeah so i have my first interview for a job in the games industry next week with a big company that everyone here would know.

Can anyone tell me about stuff they got asked, technical stuff mostly, or anyone have any advice? Any help is hugely appreciated. (Im a programmer and job is C++)

Cheers
Advertisement
Moving to Breaking In.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

What's the job?

SE1? FE:SE? Internship? something else?
Its an entry level position on the Core Technology team.
When I went through a series of interviews, these were the type of questions I was asked: http://www.alixgames.co.uk/post/1353008794/alix-first-of-all-i-must-thank-you-for-your-post-it

As you going into the core development team, I would expect questions on the technologies used (eg DirectX, physics, etc). I don't suppose you are interviewing at Rare in UK?

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

Cheers for the link. No im not going for Rare but it is in the UK
It should be obvious, but do not say you are knowledgeable on a subject but can't answer basic questions on it. I am on the interview team for my current employer and I can tell you that nothing makes you worse then you saying "I have experience doing ___", then I ask you how you would solve a basic question and you blank out on it.
Expect to be grilled on anything technically relevant to either the position or something you list on your resume. You will be expected to both read and write code, so make sure you "brush up" on that if you need to. On the Core Technology team, the #1 thing they want to know is "can this guy actually code what we need?"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement