Any recommendations for a game engine?

Started by
19 comments, last by Zakwayda 13 years ago
Hello, all!

I’m searching for a game engine to stick with and I’ve triedout a few. I’ve tried Unity 3D (which I’veworked with extensively when I was in school), UDK, Visual 3D, C4 Engine and,briefly, a few others. I’m looking foran engine that dishes out quality games and has a nice user interface. I am a coder so the programming language doesn't exactly matter because I'll learn whatever I need to. I see most engines in C++ anyway so I figure that I'll end up learning C++ one way or the other. I really likedVisual 3D’s interface, camera controls and terrain editor. One of the best terrain editors I’ve usedthus far. I am leaning towards the C4Engine. But I am still “shopping around”.

So, does anyone recommend an engine in particular?

Thank you for any suggestions.

Developers, developers, developers, developers.
Advertisement
Moving to Game Programming, where this is likely to get more of the attention it deserves :)

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

haha Thank you, ApochPiQ.

I continued searching after this post and ran into the Vision engine. That engine looks promising.

I would honestly rather an engine using C# because I enjoy that language but again I have no problem learning other things.

Still on my list is C4 Engine, Vision engine and sticking with Unity 3D.
You could also try looking at the ShiVa Engine. (I seem to be saying that a lot recently...)
It's another WYSIWYG editor and uses C++ and Lua.

If you already know C# and enjoy it then I'd recommend Unity, but I'm just throwing another option into the mix.
C4 Engine is one of the best I've tried, Visual 3D wasn't bad.

I'd certainly avoid Torque though, with GarageGames you never know when they're going to take your money and leave you with an incomplete product or pull features and then try and charge you more for them later on.
Yeah I've settled on the C4 Engine. Found out the Vision engine is WAY over priced. Should've guessed when Trinigy didn't list the price on their site. haha I'm going to learn C++ without a complaint. So many engines use that language and I hear it is a strong language to use for games and so forth. Two reasons I don't want to stick with Unity: The majority of the community is rude and unhelpful and their lighting and shadowing is blah. C4 Engine on the other hand has a great community and nice shadowing and lighting. Not to mention the great prices on such an amazing engine. C4 Pro is cheaper than Unity Pro and it blows Unity away. So anyway enough of my ranting on things. C4 Engine it is. Thank you all that decided to reply to this.

I'd certainly avoid Torque though, with GarageGames you never know when they're going to take your money and leave you with an incomplete product or pull features and then try and charge you more for them later on.

Yeah I'm staying back from them too. haha I'm thinking that learning C++ instead of a language that an engine has made specifically for them is a good idea. Torque has their own right? Unity has their own and if I'm not mistaken Vision has their own. C++ is so widely used that when I get good at that I'll be a huge asset to my team and whichever C++ based engine they decide to use.

I think I'm wrong actually. Vision uses Lua and C++. It's just expensive. haha

You could also try looking at the ShiVa Engine. (I seem to be saying that a lot recently...)
[color=#1C2837][size=2]It's another WYSIWYG editor and uses C++ and Lua.

Yeah I've looked that one up once before. Wasn't all too impressed by it to be honest. Well the tech demos didn't look impressive. I've installed the free edition of it and messed with the interface a bit then decided to head back to C4 Engine. But it using C++ it doesn't hurt to give it another shot.
Have you tried http://leadwerks.com It has a lot of great tools and the graphics are very nice!

Have you tried http://leadwerks.com It has a lot of great tools and the graphics are very nice!

Indeed I have. It was either Leadwerks or C4 Engine. I was definitely impressed with Leadwerks. I'm going to try out their engine once more to get a solid opinion with Leadwerks Engine. But they both allow for C++ so that's perfect.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement