Programmer looking for artist / co-designer

Started by
3 comments, last by xaviersythe 13 years ago
[color="#1C2837"]Brief description:
I'm a programmer looking for a dedicated, motivated artist, either 2D or 3D, to develop a small (but professional looking) game with, from design/concept to completion. I have no game design currently.
[color="#1C2837"]
Target aim:
The target aim is to complete a small, free-ware game to gain experience in the overall game development process and to possibly meet other developers interested in later pursuing larger projects.

Compensation:
No compensation. I have no plans to monetise the project. If it turned out to be of sufficient quality there is no reason why that couldn't happen (and it's certainly a possibility), but it's not the primary goal of the project.

Technology:
This will depend on the game style and design we end up choosing, and whether or not you are a 2D artist or a 3D artist. Good options for engine/framework are (I'm open to suggestions):
[color="#1C2837"]- C4 Engine - I have an unlimited standard (full source indie) license for this. It only costs per programmer seat so you won't have to shell out anything as an artist.
[color="#1C2837"]- Unity
[color="#1C2837"]- UDK
[color="#1C2837"]- XNA

[color="#1C2837"]Advantages/disadvantages of each mostly depend on what the project is, so that is something that needs to be decided first.

[color="#1C2837"]From the purely art side of things it's really up to you what software you use

[color="#1C2837"]Talent needed:
2D/3D artist, art director and co-designer. (all in one.. :/)

[color="#1C2837"]The only thing I will really have to go on is an art portfolio so that is a necessity.
[color="#1C2837"]
Team structure:
Me - Programmer/Designer

[color="#1C2837"]I also know a couple of people who can help with sound production (composition and effects).

Contacts:
You can PM me, email me through the board or email me directly at sqwertyjuju at gmail, whichever you prefer. Feel free to ask any questions or if you want to talk further about it let me know and I can jump on whatever instant messenger.

Previous Work by Team:
This will be my first proper game development project.

[color="#1C2837"]I'm currently a final year computer science student and will be graduating in ~7 weeks. My relevant experience:
[color="#1C2837"]- Good experience with C4 engine
[color="#1C2837"]- Experience with both DirectX and XNA (small 3d graphics and 2d game learning projects).
[color="#1C2837"]- Decent 3D math skills and working knowledge of basic real-time physics engines and have written and implemented a basic real-time 3D rigid-body physics engine.
[color="#1C2837"]- Good C++ experience (some freelance projects, lots of educational/hobby projects)
[color="#1C2837"]- Extensive C# and python experience (professional/freelance/hobby/educational).
[color="#1C2837"]- 9 months in network security software development as a C# / python developer.
[color="#1C2837"]- Currently working on freelance projects using c#, asp.net, mssql (~6 months).
[color="#1C2837"]- Various other educational and amateur programming experience over the past 7 years in various fields with various languages, APIs, technologies etc.
[color="#1C2837"]
Additional Info:
Like I said I have no game design at the moment, so it will be a case of us sitting down and brainstorming some ideas (unless you have some good ideas yourself?). Whatever we end up choosing it needs to be something both of us genuinely want to make.

[color="#1C2837"]Also I'm not going to be graduating until the end of May so, at the least, pre-production will last until then (design, engine/framework selection, concepts, etc) and time investment will be somewhat minimal. Beyond this point I will be able to devote a decent amount of time to the project as I work from home and won't be working full-time hours. [font="Arial"]This also means if you aren't available until the end of May or early June that is fine too.[/font]

[color="#1C2837"]I'm from the UK and so would prefer to work with someone from the UK for time-zone reasons and because it will be feasible to meet in person should we ever need to. It is by no means a requirement though.

ANY

[color="#1C2837"]edit: wording
Advertisement
Hey, are you wanting to finish up this project before graduation?

Hey, are you wanting to finish up this project before graduation?

I'm wanting to start development work on it promptly after, so at the end of May. I guess this post may be a little premature, but the end of May is ~7 weeks away now which seems like a decent amount of time to draw up concepts, plans and get an initial design document together. I'm not in any rush though.
I have found someone to work with. Thanks for the responses.
If you decide to quit your project, don't hesitate to PM me.
I guarantee you'll love my game concept.
[size="3"][topic='595477'][size="3"]FACADE, the ultimate adventure game!
Volunteers Needed![/topic]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement