3D Modeler looking for work.

Started by
28 comments, last by nestor818 12 years, 8 months ago
[color=#1C2837][size=2]Now Available for more work.Thanks to all my clients and future clients for trusting in me and giving me the opportunity.
Advertisement
1 week bump.
Hello nestor818,

Amazing
3D Humanoid Works of Art! Would you be interested in an idea for Model Packs which are popular on the Hobbyist Game Development Scene? There is no doubt that Model Packs provide awesome artwork for an affordable price. The major concern for most Indie Game Devs is knowing that identical models are being used by others in their games. It is strongly desired that ones game has its own distinctive look. In the past, I've personally purchased packs and modified textures to provide some variation, however, in the end that simply wasn't enough.

What I propose is a New Model Pack System concept that would provide both 3D Artist and Game Developer with greater amount of flexibility and variety. I call this system, Modular Entity Construction Sets (MECs). MECs provides modeled/textured Parts that can be assembled to create countless Entity variations. Several Model Construction Sets for Buildings and Structures are already available, MECs takes the concept further providing Parts for Character Bodies/Heads, Furniture Props, Firearm Weapons, Melee Weapons, Trees/Plants, Vehicles/Crafts, and Machines.

Parts could be imported into a 3rd party editor and assembled manually OR imported into game engine and assembled using a Plug-in that handles parts welding and texture blending. To be determined....

MECS_bigpic.jpg

Your work is better than average, however I just wanted to point out that none of your models are actually 100% accurate to the concept artwork. Some less accurate than others. In some cases I can see how things might need to be modified a bit, but in a lot of your models, I'm seeing stuff that could easily be fixed to match up to the concepts and seem more like mistakes than decisions to change the overall look.

Like just for example, the Knight character in the second image..

- the horns on the helmet don't bend the same way
- character is sleeveless but concept art shows sleeves
- pretty much all the armor and clothing is different enough to not even be considered the same outfit
- the big demon head on the belt buckle is totally out of proportion (face is too big, horns are too small, etc)
- major thing... the guy looks nothing like the dude in the concept art (in the face) your guy comes off looking like he's ready to cry

It might sound like I'm being too harsh, but in the world of 3D modeling, accuracy is everything. If you can't match concept art 100% of the way, then you have to be considered an amateur and you're not going to get paid the sort of money you're looking for. The absolute most important quality in a 3D modeler is their ability to match reference. People will hire you and want you to make exactly what they want. Not your own interpretation of it.
[size="3"]Thrones Online - Tactical Turnbased RPG
Visit my website to check out the latest updates on my online game

Your work is better than average, however I just wanted to point out that none of your models are actually 100% accurate to the concept artwork. Some less accurate than others. In some cases I can see how things might need to be modified a bit, but in a lot of your models, I'm seeing stuff that could easily be fixed to match up to the concepts and seem more like mistakes than decisions to change the overall look.

Like just for example, the Knight character in the second image..

- the horns on the helmet don't bend the same way
- character is sleeveless but concept art shows sleeves
- pretty much all the armor and clothing is different enough to not even be considered the same outfit
- the big demon head on the belt buckle is totally out of proportion (face is too big, horns are too small, etc)
- major thing... the guy looks nothing like the dude in the concept art (in the face) your guy comes off looking like he's ready to cry

It might sound like I'm being too harsh, but in the world of 3D modeling, accuracy is everything. If you can't match concept art 100% of the way, then you have to be considered an amateur and you're not going to get paid the sort of money you're looking for. The absolute most important quality in a 3D modeler is their ability to match reference. People will hire you and want you to make exactly what they want. Not your own interpretation of it.

uh huh...well its interesting that you took your time to type all this,but I think you should had ask any questions before you jump into your conclusion.I mean first you got to understand that in order to get some stuff done quick we need to compromise some stuff(exact looks/proportions to concept ,considering its a diffident thing in the 3d world ),but I agree some stuff could of been tweaked to look much better but we needed to compromise some stuff(is what the art director said for this project,but as long as the overall structure is there it was fine).Another thing,like said before I think you should not critique unless you knew all the WHY's,and BUT's.I say that because I had other Orthographic concepts/with color scales(example down below),but like you didn't ask, I think its a little immature to yap about things you don't know.Do you think a client paying money will want this model if it was nothing they were looking for?(considering they payed more then $300 bucks for?) I mean its kind of insulting saying
People will hire you and want you to make exactly what they want. Not your own interpretation of it.[/quote] because obviously they got what they wanted,and in my opinion concept art is not really suppose to be taken as the exact precise look,but really more like an idea(some times clients want the 3d artist to add there own imagination/spice into the character,because things tent to not work right in the 3d world according to the concepts).With that said,you should always think before you start commenting considering you did not know what the facts of the project were(and no one asked for your opinion, at least start a convo like you where interested in the character instead of critiquing it ) :).Keep the feedback coming,just make sure you have the facts before you jump to your conclusions :D.Cheers.

Here is the Ortho and the different color scale they wanted :).
[attachment=4456:Ortho_BattleMaster.jpg]
Well I didn't really "take time"... I type fast, so don't assume it took me a while to type the post (aha, there you are assuming stuff and telling me not to! :P)

I understand that there are deadlines and such, but I don't think compromising by doing a rush job is exactly a compromise. By compromise it would mean just not putting in the details... But it should definitely match the concept otherwise.

Also you keep telling me not to assume and not to say things until I know all the facts... But that's just it... when someone is looking at your portfolio of work, the only facts they get are what you presented to them. Had you included that new piece of concept art, I wouldn't have been so harsh on that Knight model. Yes, it does match that concept art better... but the image you originally posted didn't show that. You can't expect potential clients to want to ask you questions about the models... They are going to see "it doesn't match the concept art that is next to it" and that's that.

I think the point I'm trying to make is that it isn't whether I'm right or wrong.. it's that I came to the conclusion I did in the first place. Had you posted that other concept art, I wouldn't have had to bother wondering if you could actually match reference. So my suggestion to you is to simply make more effort to display upfront that you can match the reference instead of making potential clients guess about it

Just don't get too defensive of my posts... I'm trying to help you out here, not insult you or anything like that. I think everyone would agree that the original stuff you posted didn't match that closely to the concept art that went with them. That's all I was trying to point out. Whether it matches other concept art or if it's what the client wanted is irrelevant. All that is relevant is the information you gave us, and that information was "look, I can't match concept art 100%"

Well I didn't really "take time"... I type fast, so don't assume it took me a while to type the post (aha, there you are assuming stuff and telling me not to! :P)

I understand that there are deadlines and such, but I don't think compromising by doing a rush job is exactly a compromise. By compromise it would mean just not putting in the details... But it should definitely match the concept otherwise.

Also you keep telling me not to assume and not to say things until I know all the facts... But that's just it... when someone is looking at your portfolio of work, the only facts they get are what you presented to them. Had you included that new piece of concept art, I wouldn't have been so harsh on that Knight model. Yes, it does match that concept art better... but the image you originally posted didn't show that. You can't expect potential clients to want to ask you questions about the models... They are going to see "it doesn't match the concept art that is next to it" and that's that.

I think the point I'm trying to make is that it isn't whether I'm right or wrong.. it's that I came to the conclusion I did in the first place. Had you posted that other concept art, I wouldn't have had to bother wondering if you could actually match reference. So my suggestion to you is to simply make more effort to display upfront that you can match the reference instead of making potential clients guess about it

Just don't get too defensive of my posts... I'm trying to help you out here, not insult you or anything like that. I think everyone would agree that the original stuff you posted didn't match that closely to the concept art that went with them. That's all I was trying to point out. Whether it matches other concept art or if it's what the client wanted is irrelevant. All that is relevant is the information you gave us, and that information was "look, I can't match concept art 100%"

hehe.You got a point, but you also got to understand the way you came out sounded to cocky.Like if you where a pro :).
Well I am a professional 3D artist... but I didn't mean to sound cocky.

Well I am a professional 3D artist... but I didn't mean to sound cocky.

Oh really,can I see some of your work? Do you have a link?
Yes, I'm currently working in Post Production at Nickelodeon in Burbank. Honestly the only work I have to show at the moment is from nearly 3 years ago when I was a student, and I'm not really sure my work is really relevant to the conversation. If you'd really like to see my work though, feel free to PM me and I'll try to show you some stuff.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement