Is it really worth getting a Wii 2?

Started by
49 comments, last by Zeypher 13 years ago
Rumors abound and all but why would anyone want to get a new system now? The PS3 and 360 not even near the end of their life yet. So the next console cycle shouldn't start until 2015 (360 launched on November 2005). And there's no way they've squeezed every iota of graphical and processor power out of either of those systems yet. Especially the PS3. Also the Move and Kinect have brought a completely "new" way of interacting with games. Far more immersive than the WilMote.

If the rumors are true, then we'll have a Wii 2 that :
  • has similar architecture to a 360
  • is supposedly more powerful than a PS3 or 360
  • has a controller that's actually a 6.2" touchscreen
  • costs between $350 - 400
  • may or may not be backwards compatible

This sounds like a system that 7 years too late and not worth the price of admission. Your thoughts?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Advertisement
They're just trying to get attention to help sell the new 3ds. Everything I've read, makes it sound like the new (cafe), is aiming to be a server for up to 4 3ds in controller form. I hate to sound like a pc fanboy, but consoles suck in my opinion. I own a wii that I've used for maybe a week total. My playstation even get's used rarely... just cause I love FF titles and grand turismo. If either of those two games were for PC aswell I wouldn't own a ps3.
[ dev journal ]
[ current projects' videos ]
[ Zolo Project ]
I'm not mean, I just like to get to the point.
I'm interested to see what Shader Model they go with for their graphics hardware. I'd love to see a Wii with tessellation hardware. (Extra round corners just seems right for Nintendo). They're just so good at making games as a company that I have a hard time seeing them put out a *bad* offering at this point. (Virtual boy aside).

What if they added a bunch of parallel processing cores specifically streamlined for the marching cubes algorithm. Metaballs hardware. They could make a proper Wind Waker sequel, or another Mario sunshine. That would be awesome, I'd definitely buy that.
[color=#1C2837][size=2]This sounds like a system that 7 years too late and not worth the price of admission. Your thoughts?[/quote]
I see it the same way I see any game console:

Does it have games that I want to play? Am I willing to pay that much money to play those games? Do I have the funds available in my budget?

If yes to all of them, make purchase.

Game consoles are not mutually exclusive things. Just because you purchase one system doesn't mean you must abandon the others.

Rumors abound and all but why would anyone want to get a new system now? The PS3 and 360 not even near the end of their life yet. So the next console cycle shouldn't start until 2015 (360 launched on November 2005). And there's no way they've squeezed every iota of graphical and processor power out of either of those systems yet. Especially the PS3. Also the Move and Kinect have brought a completely "new" way of interacting with games. Far more immersive than the WilMote.

If the rumors are true, then we'll have a Wii 2 that :
  • has similar architecture to a 360
  • is supposedly more powerful than a PS3 or 360
  • has a controller that's actually a 6.2" touchscreen
  • costs between $350 - 400
  • may or may not be backwards compatible

This sounds like a system that 7 years too late and not worth the price of admission. Your thoughts?

Based on the past few generations the next console should start this year or next year. The sixth generation started in 1999. I can imagine Sony or Microsoft revealing a new console either 2012 or 2013 no way waiting until 2015, PC hardware is already a number of generations ahead.

I'm hoping the next generation console from Nintendo puts less emphasis on gimmicks, while yes some use of motion controllers is fun I would personally get sick of it after too much (I have the playstation move but haven't used it too much as neither my bedroom or office where I tend to do most of my gaming are large enough for effective use).

Virtual reality is going to make a come back.
just a trivia, in korea, 2 is ni, so in korea, it will be called wiini, haha wee-ni, get it. I know I'm good I'm good.
Edge cases will show your design flaws in your code!
Visit my site
Visit my FaceBook
Visit my github

just a trivia, in korea, 2 is ni, so in korea, it will be called wiini, haha wee-ni, get it. I know I'm good I'm good.

Very good, except its not Korea, perhaps your thinking of Japanese.

Interested in Fractals? Check out my App, Fractal Scout, free on the Google Play store.

no, what he's trying to say is, the number sound in Korea. for example in Malay, 2 ( or two) is 'dua'. So we would say 'Wii dua', because 'wii' is a name, therefore untranslated, but '2' is a number, so it get translated. of course this is a language jokes (such as 'duck'), where non american would not understand if a character change into a duck to evade bullet.

just like the story of the car Nova, which when translated into certain language, means 'no go' (didn't move).

Yes, I have a certificate in translation rolleyes.gif which can be a back-up job.
to keep on the topic, it can be too early, it might be not. PC user upgrade all the time, sometimes keep changing new PC every three years (standard). My country has tax write-off for PC every three years for the person. in other word, only hardcore games would buy it when it first came out. the rest just wait until the price get cheaper, and there are move game they can't live without.

on the other side of the coin, how much difference would it be, gameplay wise. a lot of games today are multiplatform. except of course, nintendo own games. but if most games made for Wii 2 is also available on 360 and PS3, why people go out and buy Wii 2.

Wii was out in 2006. So next year Wii equal two generation old PC. I think it's about time for Nintendo to sell Wii 2 in 2012.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement