What happened to the pc game industry?

Started by
57 comments, last by Hodgman 12 years, 11 months ago

[quote name='Hodgman' timestamp='1305074991' post='4809197']
I don't know what this means... It sounds like you're assuming that I'm arguing that digital distribution shouldn't exist?
I was just adding to Gorbstein's anecdotes about how painful DD can be for a percentage of it's customers, not arguing that it's the anti-christ.

I am aware that it sucks for some users. Most of the games that would have been in physical stores years ago are still being released in boxes in those stores. There are just more games being released online that benefit more developers and customers who have decent internet connections.
[/quote]
To be fair the trend in Internet speeds can be seen on the Steam Hardware Survey. They just jumped into the scene at the right time and noticed that the speeds are good enough to make DD a viable platform for most everyone using the Internet.
Advertisement
Apparently I had an email for Gaikai access. I just played a small demo of Dead Space 2. I filled out a small survey then Dead Space 2 popped up and I was in the level in like 5 seconds. Yeah this is going to start to look really tempting for companies. I wasn't aware they had begun beta testing that system yet. As smooth as OnLive for me.
A few comments

The demise of PC games in shops has been due to several reason, some of which have been mentioned.

1. Digital distribution.
Was heralded as cutting out the publisher and reducing costs, but last time I checked, apart from special deals, they seem just as expensive as physical products. However it would appear this has been the major factor in the decline of shops stocking pc games. It may not be to everyones taste, but enough of the market is happy to use it that it really is the only future for PC games now.

2. The stupid over-sized boxes.
Publishers and retail were there own worse enemy back inthe 90's. Though there were some great games released in over-sized boxes with wonderful extras included, there was no real standard. This was a pain as floorspace was always limited, you couldn't fit much stock on the shelves, sometimes boxes were too big to even fit on the shelves and were laid sideways instead, etc. Yet ironically often over-sized boxes often indicated higher marketing spends which often thrust 'your' game onto the shelves in the first place. Standardised console game boxes were far more attractive to retail in that sense and seemed to me to herald the beginning of the end of PC games in shops.

3. Internet Shopping
Frequently under-cutting bricks and mortar, with no restrictions due to floor/display space and potentially only a day delay in getting the game, should not be ignored as a major factor.

4. Rise of the Console
For a long time I considered PC games superior to consoles and continued to buy PC games despite owning PS1, PS2. That changed around the time of Bioshock being released. My PC, which funnily enough I still use quite happily for work and am even using it now, was going to be inadequate to play it. The combination of a few other reasons, led me to purchase an xbox 360 and since that day I've purchased about 2 PC games (both from Steam). At the time I found the console (more specifically xbox 360) fillled in many gaps that PC gaming had, stuff like friends lists, voice chat etc. Sure I missed the dedicated game servers and large multiplayer games (e.g. 32 players), but the simplicity of everything else just made up for it.

Honestly I can't see myself going back to pc gaming, despite having a new 'monster' PC last year.

However all is NOT rosey in the console camp. EA is pissing me off with its stupid online pass code (to combat second hand sales). I play many games and will frequently rent them (mainly due to lack of re-playability) and the online pass frequently curtials the online experience. I also read (though have not checked) that Capcom have shot themselves in the foot with one of their new games on the PS3 as it needs an internet connection to even play the single player! Obviously not good when PSN goes down. Then there are questions about DLC (download content), which more and more frequently is actually just downloading a key to unlock stuff which is already on disk.

My concern here is that we have not simply lost the ability to purchase PC games from shops, but that we are increasingly losing control over the games that we buy. Physical product is rare and your rights to digital copies seem to constantly be eroded.

Someone remarked that the Adventure game is dead, well i'd disagree. Its certainly less visible then before, but over the last decade there have been plenty of good adventure games released. They are even making a come back on consoles, although with changes to interaction and structure.

1. Digital distribution.
Was heralded as cutting out the publisher and reducing costs, but last time I checked, apart from special deals, they seem just as expensive as physical products. However it would appear this has been the major factor in the decline of shops stocking pc games. It may not be to everyones taste, but enough of the market is happy to use it that it really is the only future for PC games now.

Have you ever picked up some games during the steam sales? You can get like 15 games for like 30 bucks and crazy stuff. I've picked up old games like Call of Cthulhu and Dark Messiah Might and Magic for steals during their sales.

Look at OnLive's Playpack. You can pay 10 dollars a month for access to 50+ games on a subscription service. That includes games you might not normally buy, but just because they're bundled you get to play them.

The digital system is cutting prices you just need to wait. The price is controlled by the developers/publishers. They're not going to cut their sales the first day if they know people are going to pay 60 dollars.

[quote name='noisecrime' timestamp='1305346466' post='4810543']
1. Digital distribution.

Have you ever picked up some games during the steam sales? You can get like 15 games for like 30 bucks and crazy stuff. I've picked up old games like Call of Cthulhu and Dark Messiah Might and Magic for steals during their sales.

Look at OnLive's Playpack. You can pay 10 dollars a month for access to 50+ games on a subscription service. That includes games you might not normally buy, but just because they're bundled you get to play them.

The digital system is cutting prices you just need to wait. The price is controlled by the developers/publishers. They're not going to cut their sales the first day if they know people are going to pay 60 dollars.
[/quote]

Even better than that are the holiday sales. I bought games that were normally $30-50 for only $5-10 each.
To me playing anything aside from MMORPGS on the computer is uncomfortable and I think a lot of people feel the same. Mouse + Keyboard just isnt made for games like FPS'
Mouse + Keyboard just isnt made for games like FPS'
O_o
The mouse is the pinnacle of FPS input devices. I'd love to see an FPS match between pro-gamers using mice and game-pads.

[quote name='Eurotic' timestamp='1305868377' post='4813331']Mouse + Keyboard just isnt made for games like FPS'
O_o
The mouse is the pinnacle of FPS input devices. I'd love to see an FPS match between pro-gamers using mice and game-pads.
[/quote]

I would say it's the best one we've come up with so far. The keyboard is severely lacking as far as fps's are concerned though.

I feel like a dual analogue accurate motion controller could give the mouse a run for its money. It will probably never get made, but I definitely think it would. Dual analogue is the best for most fluid movement, then for the most accuracy you have the motion controller for mouse like accuracy.

It's actually interesting to note the movement pattern differences between people using the different controllers (mouse vs gamepad). I notice a lot of PC fps players tend to be much less careful about where they position themselves because they can compensate by turning quickly, where console fps players are often more careful about keeping their backs to walls while moving and pointing in the direction they are most likely to need to fire rather than necessarily the direction they are going as they have more directional freedom with their strafing.

Crazy how different input can affect gameplay so much.
There's no piracy with OnLive.

[quote name='Eurotic' timestamp='1305868377' post='4813331']Mouse + Keyboard just isnt made for games like FPS'
O_o
[/quote]

Did you ever play Shadowrun? It was on X-box and PC and I never lost to someone from PC, infact I found I was superior with the controller to all of them.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement