Testing Social Game Design Ideas

Started by
12 comments, last by ESPMan 12 years, 11 months ago
Hello,
I have thrown my hat in the ring to make a social game. The game is similar in genre, and design as Castle Age, and Shakes & Fidget. I am currently in the design phase. I am wondering if there is a prototyping tool that I could use to test my design elements such as combat, leveling and questing. I am looking to test the algorithms,
I see many game creation programs out there that can do 2D, and 3D, but not really built to handle more of a text based game. I could code it, but for fast prototyping I was hoping there would be something already out there. Any help is appreciated.

Best Regards,

Eric
Advertisement
Social Game[/quote]

Without reading the rest of your post I can tell you that every thing about your idea is terrible.

Social Game

Without reading the rest of your post I can tell you that every thing about your idea is terrible.

[/quote]

What a worthwhile and constructive post.

I am NOT saying you should applaud him for having a great idea or that you should be supportive, but you could at least back it up with some explanation as to why it may not be the best idea (have fun arguing that if he simply want to do it for fun) even if you want to continue sounding like a dick as you tell him.

Social Game

[/quote]

I wasn't asking for feedback on my idea. I was asking if there is any prototyping tools out there that could help me in designing a social game. So what is so terrible about that?
Why reply to a post that you don't even take the time to read the whole post.
DarkBasic Professional is nice and easy for prototyping games. There's a free version of it now days, with an ad built in the IDE I believe. Have a look here.
I don't know if this is exactly what you're looking for, but you can always make a rough board game to prototype it. You can do a playthrough with your current designs, and feed the data into a basic calculator-like program to test the algorithms that you need as they come up. It's a little ad-hoc, but at least you can see how the formulas you've written will work in a playthrough and get some tweaking without having to code up a whole testing environment. If you want to test more stuff though, it may not be as suitable.

-------R.I.P.-------

Selective Quote

~Too Late - Too Soon~

explanation as to why it may not be the best idea[/quote]

It's a social game. That's why it is a bad idea. This should've been evident from my post.

Social games are roughly on par with pyramid schemes, both in terms of how they actually work, as well as, well, their merit to society as a whole.

Why reply to a post that you don't even take the time to read the whole post.[/quote]

I read your whole post, I just told you how far I had to read into it before it became apparent that it was a terrible idea.

Basically, look at it this way. If someone says they want to shoot themselves in the foot, you tell them not to. You DON'T go off recommending various crossbows with which they could experiment.

I don't know if this is exactly what you're looking for, but you can always make a rough board game to prototype it. You can do a playthrough with your current designs, and feed the data into a basic calculator-like program to test the algorithms that you need as they come up. It's a little ad-hoc, but at least you can see how the formulas you've written will work in a playthrough and get some tweaking without having to code up a whole testing environment. If you want to test more stuff though, it may not be as suitable.

That's a good idea. I will keep that in mind. Thanks for the feedback.

explanation as to why it may not be the best idea

It's a social game. That's why it is a bad idea. This should've been evident from my post.

Social games are roughly on par with pyramid schemes, both in terms of how they actually work, as well as, well, their merit to society as a whole.

Why reply to a post that you don't even take the time to read the whole post.[/quote]

I read your whole post, I just told you how far I had to read into it before it became apparent that it was a terrible idea.

Basically, look at it this way. If someone says they want to shoot themselves in the foot, you tell them not to. You DON'T go off recommending various crossbows with which they could experiment.

[/quote]

I can respect your view, and you don't sound like so much like a dill weed now. I share your view. i want to develop a social game that does have more merit. That engages the player more. I love role playing games, and I think the present grind-level-grind model will run its course. I want the journey to be what the game is all about.

And yet some people have been quite successful with them, and lots of people enjoy playing them. We may share an opinion on the quality of social games (I don't really like them either, and I can't imagine myself wanting to make one), but that doesn't mean that they are wholesale not worth making, ever. There's a market for it, and if someone wants to go for that market then that's their call. You can still make game that is more or less fun to play, better or more poorly designed, and on and on, which is what I imagine the OP came here for advice on, not whether or not you are a part of the target market.

[/quote]

Like pyramid schemes, except that you don't need to pay to play them unless you feel like it. As for merit to society, that's a pertty grand demand to make on any video game.

-------R.I.P.-------

Selective Quote

~Too Late - Too Soon~

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement