The power of persuasion is too powerful?

Started by
59 comments, last by DarklyDreaming 12 years, 11 months ago
Bang! (smoking gun icon) explain that :rolleyes: Im Assuming the study is correct,
But if so, its conclusive proof, unlike some ppl here have asserted with 'genetics plays no role in intelligence' (its all environment/learning etc),
genetics does play a role in intelligence
Was anyone in this thread saying that genetics plays no role and that it's all environment?

Everything is genetic to some degree or another, but we don't have much control over genetics. We do however have control over the environment in which we live.

Those studies on heritability show that depending on the environment, the observed numbers vary greatly (in some societies, it's mostly environment, in others it's mostly genetics).
The important thing is that we recognise that people need to be taught things in different ways (everything from IQ skills to dont-be-a-drug-addicted-criminal skills) and create an environment that supports people of whatever genetic make-up.
Advertisement

[quote name='zedz' timestamp='1305583534' post='4811655']Bang! (smoking gun icon) explain that :rolleyes: Im Assuming the study is correct,
But if so, its conclusive proof, unlike some ppl here have asserted with 'genetics plays no role in intelligence' (its all environment/learning etc),
genetics does play a role in intelligence
Was anyone in this thread saying that genetics plays no role and that it's all environment?

Everything is genetic to some degree or another, but we don't have much control over genetics. We do however have control over the environment in which we live.

Those studies on heritability show that depending on the environment, the observed numbers vary greatly (in some societies, it's mostly environment, in others it's mostly genetics).
The important thing is that we recognise that people need to be taught things in different ways (everything from IQ skills to dont-be-a-drug-addicted-criminal skills) and create an environment that supports people of whatever genetic make-up.
[/quote]

A large majority of people don't have control over their environment especially in third world countries which technically make up a vast majority of the world population. I don't blame crack heads for their addiction, I blame the parents, the parents of the parents, and so on. Whether it's genetically inherited or just pasted down as a social inheritance I still don't think they should even be allowed to have children which would solve the problem either way.

A large majority of people don't have control over their environment especially in third world countries which technically make up a vast majority of the world population. I don't blame crack heads for their addiction
Yes, of course. Addictions and poverty are largely a social disease - a disease of society as a whole. I was using "we" as in the collective "we people" or "we humans" or "we members of societies".
Smart guy teams up with social guy. Smart guy makes the thing, social guy sells it. Both end up richer than they would alone.

John .... also has a below normal appearance. Henry .... is also abnormally well built and has an attractive appearance.

John ... he likes the most beautiful girl in the school and always says the right things to make her feel good. Eventually they start dating. Henry on the other hand was not very popular and only had a few close friends.

Yes, because we all know that high school girls tend to go for the ugly but funny guys as opposed to the attractive and intelligent guy. :rolleyes:
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
Contrived example to prove a self-defeating point does not science make, kids. Persuasion isn't everything nor is having crazy skills. The extreme juxtapositioning that gives John no skills at all (except being persuasive) and giving Henry a whole slew of insane talent seems to be completely disconnected from reality - why in the world wouldn't a headhunter or investor find him and prepare to make an offer? Especially if his talents are so great...

Generally, if you have insane talent, sooner or later that is going to show - when that happens it's a mere matter of time before someone snatches you up. Of course, you might be overrating yourself or the skills you posses aren't in great need, in either case that would lessen your chances, but really - this story of how a perfectly smart guy with bad social skills didn't go anywhere with his life seems a tad bit overly biased. Why didn't Henry try harder? If he got so far as to start a company, and came up with a good product, then someone along the line should have noticed his lack of social skills and made up for it within the company. Otherwise, some investors should have been at least somewhat interested - regardless of social skill - if the product was good enough.

Of course you shouldn't run a company if you can't talk to people and carry an OK conversation, but really, that is something everyone has to learn to some extent if they aren't going to live as an eremite. So, for someone as smart as Henry, at one point that very obstacle should have been an eye opener and his life very likely would have changed. I mean, would he really give up because he can't get buddy-buddy with a few company execs and angel investors? Really? Was he that uninterested in succeeding after investing a boatload of money, on his own dime no less, and constructing a product from idea to finish, that he just couldn't get those last few socially awkward habits out of his system and move on or get someone to do the presentations for him? Say a PR guy? Shit. I don't know - I guess I just don't believe it.
"I will personally burn everything I've made to the fucking ground if I think I can catch them in the flames."
~ Gabe
"I don't mean to rush you but you are keeping two civilizations waiting!"
~ Cavil, BSG.
"If it's really important to you that other people follow your True Brace Style, it just indicates you're inexperienced. Go find something productive to do."
[size=2]~ Bregma

"Well, you're not alone.

There's a club for people like that. It's called Everybody and we meet at the bar[size=2].

"

[size=2]~

[size=1]Antheus
Sadly its perfectly true. Getting ahead in life isn't really about being good at what you do anymore. It's just about being good at manipulating people less intelligent than you into doing what you want.

Sadly its perfectly true. Getting ahead in life isn't really about being good at what you do anymore. It's just about being good at manipulating people less intelligent than you into doing what you want.

Yup, whining losers' truth...
Create, do it, or GTFO.
anymore
When was it different?

Sadly its perfectly true. Getting ahead in life isn't really about being good at what you do anymore.

Define "getting ahead in life".

If it involves anything related to society, then yes, it's about "manipulating" other people. They are the ones that make up society and its arbitrary rules.

Money is something that is not inherent to human genome. Individual traits do not matter. Want money - you need to take it from someone, one way or another. Not because that would be evil, but because money is by definition owned by someone and if that someone is not you, it is someone else.

Getting ahead in life is about being good at getting ahead in life. But that's hand waving. What goals do you want? (101 of career counseling):
- become rich? How rich? 1 million? 5? 50? How do you make 1 million? Simple - work a 100k job for 10 years. Rob a bank. Have 2 million and donate 1.
- become respected member of community? How respected? Mayor? Nobel laureate? Mafia boss? Get elected, do scientific work, kill other mobsters, in roughly this order.
- become a great father/mother? First, have children. Raise them into productive members of society.
- become an astronaut? Join the airforce, get into training, become one of the best 10.

It's just about being good at manipulating people less intelligent than you into doing what you want.[/quote]No, intelligence will not make you rich, respected or give success. No more than blond hair, being 6" or weigh 100kg. It's an inherent trait.

And think about something else - if everyone else is "less intelligent", why are people who "get ahead in life" not the most intelligent people to have ever lived? Intelligence is just a physical trait. Being smart is what matters. Smart people get ahead.

Smart guy teams up with social guy. Smart guy makes the thing, social guy sells it. Both end up richer than they would alone.[/quote]
See Microsoft, Linux, Apple, Oracle, Facebook, ....

For being often equated as asocial, software industry has relied on personal charisma and sales skills more than just about any other industry beyond fashion and entertainment.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement