• Create Account

Banner advertising on our site currently available from just $5!

1. Learn about the promo. 2. Sign up for GDNet+. 3. Set up your advert!

[OpenGL] Drawing cube using glDrawElements and glTexCoordPointer

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 Login   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:35 AM

Hi!

I would like to draw simple cube using glDrawElements, glTexCoordPointer .

There is part of my code

glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, texture[0]);

glEnableClientState( GL_VERTEX_ARRAY );        // Enable Vertex Arrays
 	glEnableClientState( GL_TEXTURE_COORD_ARRAY );   	// Enable Texture Coord Arrays

float vertices[] = { 		1.0f, 0.0f, -1.0f,    //0 index
						1.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f, 	//1
						-1.0f,0.0f, 1.0f, 	//2
						-1.0f, 0.0f,-1.0f, 	//3
						1.0f, 1.0f, -1.0f, 	//4
						1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f, 	//5
						-1.0f,1.0f, 1.0f, 	//6
						-1.0f, 1.0f, -1.0f,      //7
	};
	short indices[] = { 0, 1, 2, 0, 2, 3,
                		0, 4, 5, 0, 5, 1,
	};
	float texture[] = { 1, 0,
						1, 1,
						0, 1,
						0, 0,
								//... I repeat these 4 coordinate 2 times
						1, 0,
						1, 1,
						0, 1,
						0, 0,};

glVertexPointer( 3, GL_FLOAT, 0, vertices ); // Set The Vertex Pointer To Our Vertex Data
	glTexCoordPointer( 2, GL_FLOAT, 0, texture ); // Set The Vertex Pointer To Our TexCoord Data
	glDrawElements(GL_TRIANGLES, 12, GL_UNSIGNED_SHORT, indices);

The vertices and indices are show below:

cube_gamedev.png

I try render bottom and right face of this cube with texture, but only bottom face is textured, as you can see below

cube_textire.png

Why only bottom face is textured ? I gave texture coordinates for 2 faces. Also if I give more textures coordinates it won't work.
Is there another method to draw textured cube using glDrawElements ?

Sponsor:

#2 Brother Bob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 8949

1Likes

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:06 AM

This is a classical example of when you cannot use shared vertices. As soon as you introduce a vertex attribute other than position, the cube is required to have 24 vertices, not 8. The corners of a cube are not shared vertices, because they don't have the same texture coordinates.

For example, the first two triangles are made up of the indices [0, 1, 2, 0, 2, 3], and if you reference the vertex and texture coordinate arrays, that face is fine. The second two triangles are made up of the indices [0, 4, 5, 0, 5, 1], and while the vertex array is referenced correct to make second face of the cube, the resulting texture coordinates are entirely broken.

#3 Login   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:53 AM

so there is no way to use glDrawElements ?

I'd like avoid glVertex3f and glTexCoord2f and VBO to make my code a bit compatible with OpenGL ES, so glDrawArray is the only way ?

#4 Brother Bob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 8949

0Likes

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:20 AM

A flat vertex array that can be drawn with glDrawArrays can also be drawn with glDrawElements if the index array contains consecutive indices from 0 and up. But that's no point, so just use glDrawArrays.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS