Showing appreciation

Started by
19 comments, last by Koobazaur 12 years, 10 months ago

He is telling us that if we want an intern then we shouldn't bother paying them.

Interns get paid? That's a good one.
Advertisement
Don't worry, when you're told to write a certain program or Website that you've written 9 times already and don't get to reuse any of your code from before in any of the rewrites, then you will learn to hate it. But it will make you a better programmer.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Don't worry, when you're told to write a certain program or Website that you've written 9 times already and don't get to reuse any of your code from before in any of the rewrites, then you will learn to hate it. But it will make you a better programmer.

Ugh, the famous old.. We like what you did, but we think you can do better. Can you rewrite it this time follwing these guidelines line.. *shudder* thats how it was when I started working for a webdesign firm.

-Mayple
I usually just give my 2 cents, but since most of the people I meet are stubborn I give a 1$ so my advice isn't lost via exchange rate.

Don't worry, dude. I email the university of Connecticut and told them to stop paying you.

hahah, well the jokes on you, I'm not working for University of Connecticut, someone else was stupid enough to hire me.
Edge cases will show your design flaws in your code!
Visit my site
Visit my FaceBook
Visit my github

[quote name='capn_midnight' timestamp='1308058741' post='4823211']

Ugh, the famous old.. We like what you did, but we think you can do better. Can you rewrite it this time follwing these guidelines line.. *shudder* thats how it was when I started working for a webdesign firm.

-Mayple
[/quote]

Yeah, there's that, and there's the "we're going to do the same thing for this client that we did for the last client. No really. No really. No, you can't use the old code." And then you have to reinvent the wheel for stuff like authentication and authorization just because of a retarded contract line that gives all the source code to the client, even though they aren't going to do a damn thing with it, they'll just hire another firm to rewrite the app again, but no sales guy is ever going to argue the point because he just sees it as free money with no consequences. AND THEN, the actual functional bits are nothing like the previous project, so the time estimates are retardedly short and "why don't you know how to do this by now?"

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

[quote name='Mayple' timestamp='1308063605' post='4823229']
[quote name='capn_midnight' timestamp='1308058741' post='4823211']

-Mayple
[/quote]

Yeah, there's that, and there's the "we're going to do the same thing for this client that we did for the last client. No really. No really. No, you can't use the old code." And then you have to reinvent the wheel for stuff like authentication and authorization just because of a retarded contract line that gives all the source code to the client, even though they aren't going to do a damn thing with it, they'll just hire another firm to rewrite the app again, but no sales guy is ever going to argue the point because he just sees it as free money with no consequences. AND THEN, the actual functional bits are nothing like the previous project, so the time estimates are retardedly short and "why don't you know how to do this by now?"
[/quote]

Damn that sounds like it sucks, luckily I've always worked for companies developing in house products so I constantly reuse code I might of written for X. Iam assuming your some sort of consultant, why cant you guys actually reuse the old code?, is it because the client is actually owner of the code you write? or something else?
Alot of it is security, as well as source code rights. Theres a blurry line on whats allowed and whats not allowed when re using old code for clients. Mainly the large part of the blur is that lets say this scenario.

You hire me to make you a website cms.
I charge you 500$.
I give you code. Awesome, thats all said and done.

Person B hires me to make the same website cms.
I charge him 500$.
I reuse the old code. Awesome, thats all said and done.

Person B decided that he wants to be generous because everyone likes his website, so he charges people download his source code, lets say 5$.

Person A catches wind of Person B's new awesome CMS, which sounds just like his. He tugs around it, and realizes that he has the same code. Person A can sue Person B for alledgedly stealing code, or can go after the web firm for psudeo work. It sounds stupid, but we have had 2 people try to sue us in small claims court because people think they are the first to come up with a twitter clone. We create it for them, next thing you know they see another person with a twitter clone. Obviously we sold there script to that person they think. They didn't get there monies worth and the money they put on the table was for there R&D, yet were profiting two ways after we signed a design contract.

It happens more often than you think. Luckily the chances of people running into another persons website by the same firm is small. Unless your like us and you work as a speciatly firm, mainly focused on video games. I get the same group of people who ask for the same things all day long about WoW websites. When I make a website, they are usually referred by the other person, thus disabling the use of old code.

:-( Mayple
I usually just give my 2 cents, but since most of the people I meet are stubborn I give a 1$ so my advice isn't lost via exchange rate.

Person A catches wind of Person B's new awesome CMS, which sounds just like his. He tugs around it, and realizes that he has the same code. Person A can sue Person B for alledgedly stealing code, or can go after the web firm for psudeo work. It sounds stupid, but we have had 2 people try to sue us in small claims court because people think they are the first to come up with a twitter clone.....

Lol that line made me chuckle, you have no idea(actually you probably do, Iam pretty sure all programmers get asked this a few times per year) how many times a friend or associate of mines approaches me with the next great facebook idea, and ask me to develop it for them and how we will all be millionaires Lol. Sorry just had to interject that there.

[quote name='Luckless' timestamp='1307977511' post='4822783']
He is telling us that if we want an intern then we shouldn't bother paying them.

Interns get paid? That's a good one.
[/quote]

Sure, we do. Or some of us do, anyway; maybe that's just co-ops.

Alot of it is security, as well as source code rights. Theres a blurry line on whats allowed and whats not allowed when re using old code for clients. Mainly the large part of the blur is that lets say this scenario.

You hire me to make you a website cms.
I charge you 500$.
I give you code. Awesome, thats all said and done.

Person B hires me to make the same website cms.
I charge him 500$.
I reuse the old code. Awesome, thats all said and done.

Person B decided that he wants to be generous because everyone likes his website, so he charges people download his source code, lets say 5$.

Person A catches wind of Person B's new awesome CMS, which sounds just like his. He tugs around it, and realizes that he has the same code. Person A can sue Person B for alledgedly stealing code, or can go after the web firm for psudeo work. It sounds stupid, but we have had 2 people try to sue us in small claims court because people think they are the first to come up with a twitter clone. We create it for them, next thing you know they see another person with a twitter clone. Obviously we sold there script to that person they think. They didn't get there monies worth and the money they put on the table was for there R&D, yet were profiting two ways after we signed a design contract.

It happens more often than you think. Luckily the chances of people running into another persons website by the same firm is small. Unless your like us and you work as a speciatly firm, mainly focused on video games. I get the same group of people who ask for the same things all day long about WoW websites. When I make a website, they are usually referred by the other person, thus disabling the use of old code.

:-( Mayple

Wouldn't the license (and possibly ownership) terms be negotiated along with the price in pretty much all situations (Thats what i've always done when i've done work on commission as my ability to reuse my own or other peoples (free software for example) code for or from a project has a huge impact on the cost to develop it), Are there really any companies with lawyers stupid enough to think that they have full exclusive ownership of a piece of software when they've only payed for a non exclusive use license ?
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement