Help Wanted topic approval

Started by
26 comments, last by Victor Nike 12 years, 8 months ago
Thnx for all the feedback. Im looking forward to the new filtering system (had no idea it was in the making). Also i think the "badge" system is viable if strictly moderated. It seems like it might be a burden on moderators though. These are ways to improve the help wanted without exlcuding anyone. Wich is good. Although exlcuding an unfeasible project might encourage its owner to do some preliminary work and maybe scale down his ideas as he realizes the real complexity of it. Excluding a project doesnt mean killing it on the spot. It simply tell its owner to get it started and to come back later. Of course i fully agree that the new system should be implemented and observed first before any more changes gets considered.
Advertisement
I feel like adding one more thing to this topic: The nuking of MMOs

As luck would have it, some people come here with MMO ideas. I think that it is a bad idea both for the idea givers as well as the community to read those. Usually such topics catch fire fast, there is a lot of reputation downgrading etc. which renders the badges/reputation system quite prone to mood.

My suggestion is that when something contains the word MMO, the mods should really consider approving the topic beforehand. I don't know if it is possible via scripts or anything, but maybe upon finding the word MMO, the author would receive a couple of links with failed MMO titles, with a short note: "R u sure?". It would improve somewhat the quality of the Help Wanted section. Not that many MMO's come up as of late -- still, every little bit helps, no?

Disclaimer: Each my post is intended as an attempt of helping and/or brining some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone, unless stated otherwise

Homepage (Under Construction)

Check my profile for funny D&D/WH FRP quotes :)
i really like the idea of having a badge to show the user has previous completed projects, however i have two questions:[/quote]
Lets be honest though, even the best programmers on here haven't really completed stuff. I have tons of uncompleted stuff, some awesome and some not. I do have cool tech demos and videos to show.

The real problem with help wanted is that people are signing up just to post in help wanted. I was just browsing HW, and every post I clicked I viewed the profile and it was started by someone who joined a few days ago and their first post was looking for help. Of the ones that list age, they are like "15,16" and use terms like "hiring" and so on. The best way to fix help wanted is to make people be a user for a certain period of time. It is so flooded with 1 time users posting about how they are 12 and how much profits they will give and so on.

It seems like all these new young guys are laming up the forum. I didn't post in help wanted till I had been on here for almost 2 years in which I hung around programming forums. The best way is to get 2 forums for help wanted, pro and amateur. I would bet the 12 year old new guys will follow this very well in filtering their stuff into the amateur thread so that I dont have to see such awful garbage anymore. There used to be somewhat decent stuff between IOTD and help wanted but it is so rare that there is anything good, and I barely check HW, so I'm sure anything cool passes by before I see it.

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims http://www.pawlowskipinball.com/pinballeternal

There's also been a few new members offering services, too. It seems a little arbitrary to make them wait out in the cold just because of the behavior of others before them.

Segregating forums by aptitude wouldn't be very effective either: It'll create more work for the mods, and anyone who thinks they're a "CEO" that's "hoping to release on Playstation" is going to consider their project professional. Then we're back to evaluating posts or earning clearances again.

I browse through the HW forum from time to time, and it seems like trouble's not only because an inexperienced person posts a project that's too ambitious or lacking essentials, but that someone criticizes them about it. I know everyone just wants to add a little caution, and most of the respondents aren't necessarily rude, but that's where the flame wars and the downrating have been happening.There's also been incidents of people adding a quick good word to justify a paragraph of flaming.

jbadams recently posted:
If you're of the opinion that this project isn't going anywhere then rather than ignoring or trying to side-step the feedback rule, simply do not respond and our bumping rules will allow it to drop away pretty quickly; your constant responses keep this topic at the top of the list.
[/quote]

I say let the new system kick in since it's happening anyways, and the thread tags should help cut down the clutter. At worst have "good feedback only" as the default to keep the conflict down. If that's not enough, perhaps a button for "misrepresentation in Help Wanted" and let the Mods bring up serious issues a little more diplomatically.

Otherwise maybe we need some new pinned FAQs: "How To Accept Criticism" and "Why Is No One Volunteering?" for project posters, and "How To Ignore Projects You Aren't Going To Join" for the rest of us. After all, if a project looks that infeasible to you, it's probably that obvious to everyone else too.

Otherwise maybe we need some new pinned FAQs: "How To Accept Criticism" and "Why Is No One Volunteering?" for project posters, and "How To Ignore Projects You Aren't Going To Join" for the rest of us. After all, if a project looks that infeasible to you, it's probably that obvious to everyone else too.

Great idea. Alas, it is always the freshman's mistake NOT to read such topics. Not that everyone doesn't -- it's just the posts that get flamed that don't pay attention. I mean, should everyone read the HW FAQ, they would know how people approach MMOs for example. Still, I could use the post "How To Ignore Projects You Aren't Going To Join" -- it is really hard not to comment... Or at least give out advice. Come to think of it, I think I'll start using the PM more often for that. Makes kind of sense -- the goal of helping is fulfilled, and no flames are ignited.

You think that is acceptable?
Disclaimer: Each my post is intended as an attempt of helping and/or brining some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone, unless stated otherwise

Homepage (Under Construction)

Check my profile for funny D&D/WH FRP quotes :)

it is really hard not to comment... Or at least give out advice. Come to think of it, I think I'll start using the PM more often for that. Makes kind of sense -- the goal of helping is fulfilled, and no flames are ignited.

You think that is acceptable?

Absolutely -- I'd strongly encourage it. You should of course still remain polite; from my dealings with you I'm sure it wouldn't happen, but anyone who got abusive offering feedback via PM can still be reported for moderation, and for those with genuine good intentions such as yourself you'll be able to offer your thoughts and advice without bumping or cluttering the topic.

- Jason Astle-Adams

I don't think anyone is going to read an FAQ, how many times still do we have to say "Use the mandatory template?" I still think even if a kid claims as a "CEO" that is "Hiring" that they would understand they are amateur. Or somehow have them all go into amateur and if someone requests it as pro, then you can use this self investigation badge system and move them over to pro (if the OP asks it to go there).

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims http://www.pawlowskipinball.com/pinballeternal

I've mentioned it before, why not just a minimum post count before being able to post an ad? Most of the crap posts come from people whos first post ever on the forums is how they got this great new idea for a MMO and just need to get 50 people to work for free to make it a reality. Make them at least put some effort in to learning what goes on in making a game by contributing some posts. Either they will figure out a MMO is hard or they won't be bothered with making enough posts to be able to make an ad. So either way there is less clutter posts floating around.

I've mentioned it before, why not just a minimum post count before being able to post an ad? Most of the crap posts come from people whos first post ever on the forums is how they got this great new idea for a MMO and just need to get 50 people to work for free to make it a reality. Make them at least put some effort in to learning what goes on in making a game by contributing some posts. Either they will figure out a MMO is hard or they won't be bothered with making enough posts to be able to make an ad. So either way there is less clutter posts floating around.

Either that or they spam the other sections with junk posts about how cool their mmo is until they have a high enough post count... :-(

I've mentioned it before, why not just a minimum post count before being able to post an ad?

There are two reasons we won't consider doing this:
  1. It encourages crap-posting in other forums to artificially reach the minimum.
  2. Some of the best Help Wanted posts are the first or only posts in our community by the members in question -- and those who are hard at work on a genuine serious project often don't spend a whole lot of time posting in forums, or are already doing so elsewhere and do not wish to also participate (outside of Help Wanted) here -- if a minimum post count were required many of these people simply wouldn't bother, depriving our members of potentially good projects.

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement