Which route to take

Started by
13 comments, last by Krohm 12 years, 8 months ago
To be honest I'm not a beginner. I'm not an expert but I call my self "novice". But to start with my question. I have a game idea (its great and will deserve at least an indie award when its done). But I'm wondering which language to start it with. I know AS3, Java, and C+ as well as some BASIC languages. Now I know my choice comes down to what I'm trying to achieve so here's an example outline (since I'm not done with the story line)

Say I wanted to make a top-down 2D RPG with RTS elements. I chose top-down 2D since it seems the simplest for getting my idea across and I don't really want to spend the next year doing 3D modelling to get anything 3D looking remotely decent (I suck at modelling). Imagine Fallout 1/2 minus the dialog and story, so just the character development, inventory, and even the post-apocalyptic theme. And mix that in with like, Sid Mier's Civilization, in the ideas of civilization growth and resource take in and all. I REALLY REALLY want to go multi-player with this, as in its pretty much a requirement. And I understand the length of coding that's gonna take alone.

So it comes down to this. What language do you think is best for this? I like the aesthetic quality's of Flash and the fact that it can go browser based which would be AWESOME. But I don't really know about its networking capabilities, it seems to be really tight-cheeked about external information of all kinds. Plus I don't think it could really handle all the logic from AI that's required in the RTS elements. I like Java too cause its multi-platform and can go browser based too. Plus I here there a bit better on the networking scheme. But I also heard that it might not be able to handle the logic either since its mostly VM'd coding. Now I know C can handle it, but I can never get any libraries to EVER work together so I'm pretty much abandoning this language as a choice.

Any ideas on a starting point? Language, engine suggestions, resources to look into?
Advertisement
Java would work perfectly fine, not sure what you mean by it not being able to handle the logic. I'm personally a big fan of C#, as it has the productivity of Java, yet it is more powerful than it. As far as I know you can't do in browser games with it though.
Any language you mentioned is fine. Not be able to handle the logic? What does that mean?
Never, ever stop learning.
- Me
I would suggest using C++ and direct X. Which libraries have you used with c++ that you say dont work well? Depending how you instal the DX SDK and visual studio you have to set the paths for libs and includes manually for c++ access the DX libs. Im using directX for a game im putting together.
Also to consider: do you want the game to be cross platform? (I.e Linux, Mac, etc.. not consoles). The languages you've listed would be fine if you wanted to do this (although I think Java would be most portable, I believe), but you'd have to be weary of features or libraries that aren't cross platform (i.e. for graphics rendering, use OpenGL instead of DirectX, for instance). If you play your cards right compiling for multiple OSs will be easy.
Well I tried running a few different 3D engines on C++ with VS2010. Such as Ogre3d, Irrlicht, etc. And I can get them running as themselves but when I try and add any other libraries (physics, audio, etc.) that's when stuff stops working together. So far I really like the idea on Java as well. And by not running the logic I mean like muti-threading support or its performance on the many iterations I'm going to need to do for the AI.

Finally any suggestions on frameworks/engines for Java for some nice tile based or maybe isometric drawing?
haha if youre gonna use C++ I'd recommend doing what i am doing:

Use OpenGL and write your own game engine. It's not THAT hard, especially with all that example code floating around the net...

Well I tried running a few different 3D engines on C++ with VS2010. Such as Ogre3d, Irrlicht, etc. And I can get them running as themselves but when I try and add any other libraries (physics, audio, etc.) that's when stuff stops working together. So far I really like the idea on Java as well. And by not running the logic I mean like muti-threading support or its performance on the many iterations I'm going to need to do for the AI.

Finally any suggestions on frameworks/engines for Java for some nice tile based or maybe isometric drawing?

Java supports multi threading and can more than handle the AI Im sure.
- Me

I hear that Slick is popular, but I personally can't give an opinion as I never used it.

[quote name='baystep' timestamp='1312165954' post='4842972']

I hear that Slick is popular, but I personally can't give an opinion as I never used it.
[/quote]

Slick is the best choice. It comes with a great way to import maps with Tiled map editor, it even bundles Tiled in the download. Slick is built on LWJGL, so you have access to all openGL calls for 3d as well.
- Me

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement