App developer gets screwed out of $55,000

Started by
23 comments, last by Khaiy 12 years, 8 months ago

[color="#1C2837"][size="4"]
[color="#1C2837"]Bullshit. Read the linked story.[color="#1C2837"][size="4"]

[color="#1C2837"][size="4"]Ahem:

[color="#1C2837"][size="4"]
[color="#444444"][font="Helvetica,"]Update: (and this one surprised us) you can’t remove apps from their store! You have to ask them for permission via an email. Every other store lets you remove apps from sale.[/font][color="#1C2837"][/quote]
[/quote]

You said they couldn't decline which was a lie. You can also get apps removed via email. It's not exactly as if they won't remove the app, but it's not as convenient as it likely should be. The fact that the app is no longer in the app store also shows that it's hardly impossible to get an app removed. They (and you) are blowing the whole thing out of proportion.
Advertisement
This is just depressing.
[color="#444444"][font="Helvetica,"]They not only knew that they would not get paid, they discussed and agreed that it was worth it.[/font]
So... what's depressing?
That some people chose to give away their product for free, and then bitched about the choice they made?

Also, saying they lost or were screwed out of money just isn't credible. It's like the MPAA/RIAA's inflated "losses" that they cite from piracy, but worse, because they agreed to give away their product for free...
Basically. I just think that it their position, I'd be seriously kicking myself.
----------------------------My site: www.sudoexec.net
I don't think the original blog post was particularly whiny. They weren't complaining about the money itself, they had written off that. They were illustrating/complaining about how the Amazon app store is portrayed versus how it actually works.

What makes us mad though is the public perception that Amazon pays developers to be featured. Every single person we asked on Twitter or via email thought they were helping developers out, and getting a free application. Amazon does nothing to dispel these rumours, in fact they put really restrictive clauses at the bottom of their emails, saying that no one is even allowed to discuss these back door deals they are doing.
[/quote]
This and the bullet points that follow are things which one wouldn't necessarily discern from reading the contract.

I believe they are offering their story as a cautionary tale. The linked blog post is a poor overreaction to the original.
I think it's been brought up before that there are legal loopholes that benefit Amazon in the AZ App Store contract. IGDA and quite a lot of other people have made noises about this since the first time the store opened. It benefits them more than it benefits developers. The fact that they signed up for it and complained that AZ took advantage of it is recklessness on their side.

Btw, after knowing about the legal loopholes, I basically uninstalled Amazon App Store App from my Android. I support developers. I don't support corporations trying to cash-in app-store bubbles.
These people are arguing the perception versus the execution of the Amazon App Store? Please...I'm not even an Android developer and I knew a while before the Amazon App Store came to fruition that it allowed for this type of behavior. Would I condemn this behavior by Amazon? No, because unlike books there is significant money to be made in the retention of large user-bases versus application downloads.

Is Facebook losing money because its allowing users to use their product for free? No, they chose the pricing model that fit them best by realizing that it was user-base numbers that mattered, not subscription fees. These developers need to suck it up and find a lawyer to read their contracts. If they would have paid me $0.02, I could have given them the foresight they desperately needed. It's a pity to see developers blame someone else for their ineptitude.
Denzel Morris (@drdizzy) :: Software Engineer :: SkyTech Enterprises, Inc.
"When men are most sure and arrogant they are commonly most mistaken, giving views to passion without that proper deliberation which alone can secure them from the grossest absurdities." - David Hume
These people made a podcast list. Not content, just podcast lists from public feeds. A JTextList with JIconImage if you will.

They published it and in 2 days apparently made $50k.

Not so long ago, that would be well above my yearly salary, pre-tax.

And now they go into a hissy fit.

No sympathies here. Instead they should praise the world they are in that gives such incredible retail opportunities to a common man. 10 years ago retail was huge barrier to both, profits and entry. And today one can do this from bedroom by slapping a list of colorful icons on screen. In any other industry or even using any other method of distribution at such scale, 50k would be just the costs to launch, after which it would make exactly the same as it did.

What they earned is what the app is worth. The post just reeks of entitlement.

Also: ALWAYS READ THE CONTRACT. If you can't, GET A LAWYER.
You're so setting yourself up for when your health insurance or car insurance won't pay out.
I agree with comments, there isn't really anything for them to complain about here. If one wants to protest an app store, then by all means raise awareness of the clauses - and don't use it yourself.

Btw, after knowing about the legal loopholes, I basically uninstalled Amazon App Store App from my Android. I support developers. I don't support corporations trying to cash-in app-store bubbles.
Indeed, though I'd also say this applies to all of the "official" app stores from Google, Nokia, Apple etc. 30% cut of all revenue? They must be laughing all the way to the bank.

http://erebusrpg.sourceforge.net/ - Erebus, Open Source RPG for Windows/Linux/Android
http://conquests.sourceforge.net/ - Conquests, Open Source Civ-like Game for Windows/Linux

[quote name='blog']That’s right, Amazon gave away 101,491 copies of our app! At this point, we had a few seconds of excitement as well, had we mis-read the email and really earned $54,800 in one day? We would have done if our public agreement was in place, but we can now confirm that thanks to Amazon’s secret back-door deals, we made $0 on that day. That’s right, over 100,000 apps given away, $0 made.[/quote]
This caught my attention from the blog. What is the public agreement they are talking about?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement