Original Post
The free NVidia DXTn compression utility is considered the industry standard in generating DXTn-compressed DDS files.
I am currently building a next-generation game engine and as we all know the quality of the graphics is important for any major title.
I wondered if the quality of the .DDS files could be improved, and I had an idea that seemed to be a reasonable way to do that. I have implemented it and am happy with the results.
It is both higher in quality and faster than the NVidia tool. In fact its low-quality setting is not only many times faster than NVidia’s low setting, but produces quality that is often higher than NVidia’s medium setting.
I have documented the algorithm with code snippets here.
I hope many individuals and game companies alike can make use of this algorithm.
L. Spiro
I am currently building a next-generation game engine and as we all know the quality of the graphics is important for any major title.
I wondered if the quality of the .DDS files could be improved, and I had an idea that seemed to be a reasonable way to do that. I have implemented it and am happy with the results.
It is both higher in quality and faster than the NVidia tool. In fact its low-quality setting is not only many times faster than NVidia’s low setting, but produces quality that is often higher than NVidia’s medium setting.
I have documented the algorithm with code snippets here.
I hope many individuals and game companies alike can make use of this algorithm.
L. Spiro
