Graphics & Languages [2D etc.]

Started by
4 comments, last by Mayley 12 years, 4 months ago
At the moment I'm programming in pascal as that's what we are taught for at A-level in my school. However they don't go on to develop into forms and other graphical representations until next year [around 8 months]. I've tried to Google how to use some sort of graphics in pascal - mainly for delphi, but so far have been unsuccessful.

Not sure if what i posted above uses the right words for what i'm trying to get across. If this isn't clear or you can help me phrase this better that would be greatly appreciated

My query to forums is
1: Can you possible link me to a tutorial or alike that can help me develop further into pascal using other than console applications.
2: Is it worth programming a graphical game in pascal if i learn the above because i already know the language or do you suggest moving onto another language. If so what language would you suggest personally from your point of view.

This would be a great help
thanks,
Advertisement

1: Can you possible link me to a tutorial or alike that can help me develop further into pascal using other than console applications.
2: Is it worth programming a graphical game in pascal if i learn the above because i already know the language or do you suggest moving onto another language. If so what language would you suggest personally from your point of view.

1. Sorry, I'm not on it.
  2. AFAIK, pascal is little more than a learning device. It is surely possible to do games with it, just as it is possible to do them in ASM. Whatever this makes sense is a different thing. I'd look at Delphi (Object pascal). A friend of mine uses it regularly and he claims it's pretty good. Hopefully it will have more up-to-date documentation and libraries.

I'm afraid you'll have to plan for a language switch in the future.

Previously "Krohm"

Thanks , I figured as much. I've heard all bout c++, c , java etc

Not sure what I'll try thought.
20 years ago C++ was the "new thing" so a lot of people have been using it, and still is for that reason, but be aware that it is horrible for game programming. It was made for writing things like operating systems, database servers, web servers and such. The same can be said about C. Using it for a graphic engine can still be justified I guess as those often needs direct access to the metal, but if you want to actually make games, not spend months hunting down bugs and crashes, I strongly recommend using something else like C#, Python or Java.
What kind of pascal are you talking?
If you look into the more recent object pascal/delphi, it is perfectly suitable for making games.
Check out this game I've written using "modern" pascal: www.sushiquest.net
Also you might be interested in my game engine engine: www.pascalgameengine.com
I'm going to release it next month, and it allows to create 2D and 3D without having to worry about the low level stuff :)
And here is also another link with lots of helpful resources:
www.pascalgamedevelopment.com

Snip

Thanks for those usefull links ill check them out. I'm pretty sure the language is the more modern pascal using delphi. I've also seen that engine and checked it out but get this everytime

Downloads
[color=#BBBBBB][font=raleway_thin]

TERRA engine is currently not available to the public.
If you want to participate in the beta testing phase, please use the form below, thanks

[/font]
Which put me off the fist time but ill sign up for the beta now.

Snip

I read the FAQ and saw C#, Python and Java suggested and that's what I was thinking about using. No experience with any of them so ill just experience with them

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement