Question to CS Degree holders

Started by
30 comments, last by MilesRobson 12 years, 3 months ago

There's the difference in that last link.

It is not a Computer Science program.

It is a "Computer Programming & Analysis" (trade degree) program.

I understand, I was just throwing that up as a list of classes I can tack onto my AA as I enter a university.

On a side note, I have been looking around in out of state universities a little more strongly. I'd lose a Florida only grant, but if it's worth it, it's worth it.
And I've been hanging around with some friends in UF, they're Educational Plan looks on par with mine.

I have a feeling I'm over reacting. xD

Twitter

Learning to code in general, Junior at FAU

Advertisement

That's kinda sad. I haven't been out of college that long...

Even without programming background, students were expected to take the data structures and algorithms course freshman year where I went (though I wasn't in the CS program). Picking up a programming language & basics was considered something you got alongside the theory.

Hell, even my non-CS program required programming with the reasoning that any intelligent person could work out how to do the basic problems (make a series of 4 LEDs blink in order for example).

Glancing at the offerings from Florida State, which my colleagues suggest to be a fairly respected CS program in that area, they don't offer a Data Structures course until Junior year.

In our own program, which is considered quite rigorous (albeit lightly attended), data structures is a second-year requirement. And we have trouble filling second-year courses - our bleed-off of rising freshmen to quote-unquote "easy" majors in the humanities, is staggering.

As little as 5 years ago we could rely on incoming freshmen to have some programming background, even if it was only a little PHP/MySQL. Now we are lucky if they have a solid grasp on highschool-level algebra... Such are the changing times, especially for schools that don't run admissions based on scientific excellence. Departments adapt their curriculum to suit, or wither away.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Indeed, my university now condenses algorithms and data structures into one class, spring sophmore year. Freshman year is C++ 101, then C++/STL; then java/swing(!?!) before algorithms & data structures...

No wonder we can't find any competent programmers anymore...

Indeed, my university now condenses algorithms and data structures into one class, spring sophmore year. Freshman year is C++ 101, then C++/STL; then java/swing(!?!) before algorithms & data structures...

No wonder we can't find any competent programmers anymore...

I'm just gonna start teaching myself, I want to become a competent programmer :D
If there's a will, there's a way. Hopefully.

Twitter

I'll echo shadowisadog's excellent advice from the first page, about 'school not making you a good programmer'. It's true of pretty much every program in university, but especially in CS departments. CS courses may teach you the tools you need, but it's up to you to become proficient with them, and ultimately to excel as a programmer.

Equally, I'll echo frob's statement that a good programmer can switch languages at will - languages are just tools. Don't worry about what language each college uses, etc. just practice till you are a strong programmer, and the rest will follow naturally.

The point, is that learning is pretty much on you, even in university. And you'll probably learn more and faster on your own terms than you do in courses (but courses do serve to open your mind to things you would otherwise have missed, plus the piece of paper at the end of it all is invaluable).

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

plus the piece of paper at the end of it all is invaluable
I care about that, too. Most of my friends are getting Humanities degrees, waiting, or just dicking around. I'd like to be able to take that piece of paper and the knowledge I earn and apply it to gaming, or whatever. I might end up fighting I like software in general, and do somethin' super cool in science.
Or not. I know it sounds cheesy, but I just hate waiting. High school (at least in south Florida) was a bore, and the community college is fine, but I still feel like I'm waiting for junior + classes to start.

So I'm going on Khan Academy and other sites, just scooping up knowledge instead of playing a video game. Kind of ironic. xD.

I just wanna make sure I have any possible leaks welded before I take on any....water....in the voyage of life.

It sounded way cooler in my head.xD

Twitter

I just found this today, http://www.broward.edu/ext/DepartmentCourseList.jsp?Name=COP.
As of now, I only have to take Intro to CS and and Intro to C++ for my AA, anything else should I take?

Twitter

I'd recommend at least "Intermediate C++ Programming", "Database Design And Programming Using Sql", and "C# Programming", if you can fit them in (others would probably recommend "Object-Oriented Analysis And Design", but I'm not a huge fan).

I'd recommend at least "Intermediate C++ Programming", "Database Design And Programming Using Sql", and "C# Programming", if you can fit them in (others would probably recommend "Object-Oriented Analysis And Design", but I'm not a huge fan).
This is my schedule up to Winter of 2013, satisfying AA requirements for my college and most of the school in the area I want.

In theory, if I added some classes up in Fall, Winter, and took a summer 2013 at BC, those classes are totally possible. :D

Twitter

I just don't get how this is UF's requirements for a transfer degree. Maybe I'm just bickering at this point, but it sure is strange.

Twitter

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement