Dual monitors for increased productivity?

Started by
35 comments, last by mightypigeon 12 years, 2 months ago
Dual monitors, or triple if you can swing it, is absolutely fantastic and completely worth it. In fact I would rather have two smaller monitors than one huge one.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Advertisement

I have a 20" widescreen in the middle and two 17" on either side. Recently added two of these little buggers - they are great!

How do you hook up more than three monitors with those little buggers? Did you just buy USB extensions and plug them in, and your PC will detect them?
If you have the money then a 30" is the way to go. Having 2560x1600 pixels on a single screen is incredibly useful. It will make everything else seem tiny though, so make sure that you get one for home as well as work ;)
Something I will suggest you try with a dual monitor setup is to put your task bar up the side of your secondary monitor, on the edge toward the "Main" screen.

I found it took a few days to adjust to this, but it works wonderfully, and you can pack a lot of info into the thing and keep it 'handy' to either screen. The bonuses are that in a 'full screen' app running on the primary, you have a clear view of anything demanding your attention from the task bar, and you can devote the entire primary to work. Sure, it is an extra line of code, but that is an extra line of code to look at.

I actually had another bonus, but I am tired and managed to forget it in the time it took me to make tea and wash a few dishes.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

[quote name='Gaiiden' timestamp='1327357821' post='4905592']
I have a 20" widescreen in the middle and two 17" on either side. Recently added two of these little buggers - they are great!

How do you hook up more than three monitors with those little buggers? Did you just buy USB extensions and plug them in, and your PC will detect them?
[/quote]
I can't speak for Gaiiden obviously, but looking at the page he linked to, those small monitors do everything through a single USB cable - both the powering of the monitor, and the video feed ("[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

Use a USB cable to power the monitor and send the video signal to the monitor. [/font][color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

One cable does it all![/font]

[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

Innovation USB-only connection---add monitors without adding clutter![/font]

[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

")[/font]. It's a could idea, since (afaik) most videocards can only support 2 monitors, or maybe three, without special workarounds.

Anyone seen a price tag on those little buggers? I'm 'enjoying' a cold, and rather large amounts of pain killers, so I'm not exactly alert, but I can't see a price listed anywhere there.

Mind you, I did dose off twice while looking for it.

Wonder if they can be run off a netbook using linux. I don't mind the small screen, but every now and then I do find myself wishing that I had a second... smaller screen.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
go with 2.

Anyone seen a price tag on those little buggers? I'm 'enjoying' a cold, and rather large amounts of pain killers, so I'm not exactly alert, but I can't see a price listed anywhere there.

I couldn't find a price on the site itself, but Amazon's price is about the same as a 20" monitor, and that pricing seems about average, if not slightly lower than average. They seem to focus their business more towards selling the monitors to other businesses (restaurants, car manufacturers, information kiosks, etc...), and so charge more that a similar consumer-targeted monitor might be sold for. If you do a little shopping around, I bet you could probably get something similar for a more reasonable price - but be careful you are actually buying a PC monitor.
yea I got them for around $100 each from ThinkGeek but looks like they are out of stock over there now

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

I do everything off a tri-monitor setup.. couldn't imagine not having the space. Though I keep the taskbar in the middle. The downside though was having to spring for the displayport capable display with eyefinity.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement