• Create Account

Banner advertising on our site currently available from just $5!

1. Learn about the promo. 2. Sign up for GDNet+. 3. Set up your advert!

Dual monitors for increased productivity?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
36 replies to this topic

#21 Promit   Moderators   -  Reputation: 10011

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:21 PM

Dual monitors, or triple if you can swing it, is absolutely fantastic and completely worth it. In fact I would rather have two smaller monitors than one huge one.

Sponsor:

#22 alnite   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2650

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:33 PM

I have a 20" widescreen in the middle and two 17" on either side. Recently added two of these little buggers - they are great!

How do you hook up more than three monitors with those little buggers? Did you just buy USB extensions and plug them in, and your PC will detect them?

#23 teutonicus   Members   -  Reputation: 518

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:39 PM

If you have the money then a 30" is the way to go. Having 2560x1600 pixels on a single screen is incredibly useful. It will make everything else seem tiny though, so make sure that you get one for home as well as work ;)

#24 Luckless   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2200

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:44 PM

Something I will suggest you try with a dual monitor setup is to put your task bar up the side of your secondary monitor, on the edge toward the "Main" screen.

I found it took a few days to adjust to this, but it works wonderfully, and you can pack a lot of info into the thing and keep it 'handy' to either screen. The bonuses are that in a 'full screen' app running on the primary, you have a clear view of anything demanding your attention from the task bar, and you can devote the entire primary to work. Sure, it is an extra line of code, but that is an extra line of code to look at.

I actually had another bonus, but I am tired and managed to forget it in the time it took me to make tea and wash a few dishes.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

#25 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 26079

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:05 PM

I have a 20" widescreen in the middle and two 17" on either side. Recently added two of these little buggers - they are great!

How do you hook up more than three monitors with those little buggers? Did you just buy USB extensions and plug them in, and your PC will detect them?

I can't speak for Gaiiden obviously, but looking at the page he linked to, those small monitors do everything through a single USB cable - both the powering of the monitor, and the video feed ("Use a USB cable to power the monitor and send the video signal to the monitor. One cable does it all!
Innovation USB-only connection---add monitors without adding clutter!"). It's a could idea, since (afaik) most videocards can only support 2 monitors, or maybe three, without special workarounds.

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal | [Fly with me on Twitter

#26 Luckless   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2200

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:03 PM

Anyone seen a price tag on those little buggers? I'm 'enjoying' a cold, and rather large amounts of pain killers, so I'm not exactly alert, but I can't see a price listed anywhere there.

Mind you, I did dose off twice while looking for it.

Wonder if they can be run off a netbook using linux. I don't mind the small screen, but every now and then I do find myself wishing that I had a second... smaller screen.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

#27 szigeti_roland   Members   -  Reputation: 96

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:27 PM

go with 2.

#28 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 26079

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:33 PM

Anyone seen a price tag on those little buggers? I'm 'enjoying' a cold, and rather large amounts of pain killers, so I'm not exactly alert, but I can't see a price listed anywhere there.

I couldn't find a price on the site itself, but Amazon's price is about the same as a 20" monitor, and that pricing seems about average, if not slightly lower than average. They seem to focus their business more towards selling the monitors to other businesses (restaurants, car manufacturers, information kiosks, etc...), and so charge more that a similar consumer-targeted monitor might be sold for. If you do a little shopping around, I bet you could probably get something similar for a more reasonable price - but be careful you are actually buying a PC monitor.

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal | [Fly with me on Twitter

#29 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5456

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:33 PM

yea I got them for around $100 each from ThinkGeek but looks like they are out of stock over there now

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

#30 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5561

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:54 PM

I do everything off a tri-monitor setup.. couldn't imagine not having the space. Though I keep the taskbar in the middle. The downside though was having to spring for the displayport capable display with eyefinity.

#31 jamby   Members   -  Reputation: 147

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:27 PM

I recently had to move to a smaller desk which can't hold multiple displays... unless I take a saw to various parts of the desk (my 2nd display is a huge, old CRT). So I went down to one display. I feel lost without a place to dump tool palettes, various VS windows, IRC, etc. I might be breaking out that saw soon.

#32 swiftcoder   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 14429

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:45 PM

I do everything off a tri-monitor setup.. couldn't imagine not having the space. Though I keep the taskbar in the middle. The downside though was having to spring for the displayport capable display with eyefinity.

DisplayPort -> DVI/HDMI adapters are in the $20 range now. It's a far cry from the cost they were right after eyefinity hit the market.

Tristam MacDonald - Software Engineer @Amazon - [swiftcoding]

#33 zedz   Members   -  Reputation: 291

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:26 PM

as nearly everyone has said, yes.
I'ld say in fact it is the single largest thing you can do to improve productivity
IDE = one screen, the program that youre working on = 2nd screen

#34 ManuelMarino   Members   -  Reputation: 153

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:43 AM

On my desk there is a monitor and two laptops (one next to the monitor and another one on the right, imagine an "L" setup). But I don't think I will ever need two monitors for the desktop computer. At the moment everything is perfect right this way Posted Image
Electronic, Hard House, Film Music

88 preview tracks to listen to online + artist forums

And my projects Vanethian, and X-tivity Factor

#35 Katie   Members   -  Reputation: 1434

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:51 AM

One interesting set-up I saw on a desk a few banks away in my office is having 2 monitors, one is tilted back 45degrees the other vertically above it. The guy using it seems to put reference things on the lower screen where one might otherwise put physical books to glance down at and puts editors/shells in the top one.

#36 PasiP   Members   -  Reputation: 253

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:40 AM

I definitely need at least two monitors for composing music. I like to have the sequencer window on one and the mixer window on the other. This way my workflow is a lot faster and I don't need to close windows or applications to do my work. When I'm working with movies I usually add my 37" TV as the third monitor, just to have the movie on the big screen. :)
Pasi Pitkänen
Award-winning Sound Designer & Composer

#37 mightypigeon   Members   -  Reputation: 560

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:49 PM

Here's a photo from a while back (I still have the exact same setup but my desk has a lot of junk on it right now...). This is my work setup.

I put the netbook and extra tablet in as a joke, but you get the idea. Can't bear to code on landscape monitors anymore...

Posted Image

At home I have one landscape as the main monitor and one portrait for coding. (Can't fit any more monitors on my desk at home... and don't use the PC enough to justify having more, haha)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS