NPC AI

Started by
46 comments, last by Nazrix 22 years, 3 months ago
Oh no... Not this again!
*dwarfsoft senses a foreboding future of this topic*

Sorry, had to make my presence known again.

But naz - If you want anything from the now defunct NPCAI/IOL project I can send it all your way ...

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - The future of RPGs Thanks to all the goblins in the GDCorner niche
Advertisement
quote:Original post by dwarfsoft
Oh no... Not this again!
*dwarfsoft senses a foreboding future of this topic*

I've got to try anyway. And I don't think it will be quite as intense is what you guys did w/ IOL since I am making it more custom for what I want rather than making it extremely general for anyone's project.

quote:
But naz - If you want anything from the now defunct NPCAI/IOL project I can send it all your way ...

Thanks ...I'll let you know if I do

NPCs are people too! Just wait til I make a Lisa NPC

A CRPG in development...

Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.

Edited by - Nazrix on October 8, 2001 8:34:17 PM
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Well, we scaled back IOL a lot. It didn''t die because we didn''t have the skills, but because we didn''t have the time... Anyway, I am interested in seeing how you go with this... I am not into really developing AI in my game atm, but I am definitely thinking about it

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - The future of RPGs Thanks to all the goblins in the GDCorner niche
quote:Original post by dwarfsoft
Well, we scaled back IOL a lot. It didn''t die because we didn''t have the skills, but because we didn''t have the time... Anyway, I am interested in seeing how you go with this... I am not into really developing AI in my game atm, but I am definitely thinking about it

sorry...I didn''t mean to say you didn''t have the skills

I don''t really have the time either but I''m trying to make time. When I do have something substantial to show I will certainly let you know.

A CRPG in development...

Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
quote:Original post by Merrick

Let''s briefly look at two options (there are more, but I don''t want to spoil the surprise)

You are a tease

A CRPG in development...

quote:Original post by Nazrix
You are a tease

Oh yes, and I''m sure many people from Tiberia will agree

"NPCs will be inherited from the basic Entity class. They will be fully independent, and carry out their own lives oblivious to the world around them ... that is, until you set them on fire ..." -- Merrick
"NPCs will be inherited from the basic Entity class. They will be fully independent, and carry out their own lives oblivious to the world around them ... that is, until you set them on fire ..." -- Merrick
Merr,
one thing I thought of was instead of making NPCs'' desires specific like wanting to become the king, the NPCs will want something more general and abstract like get admiration from the people or something. Then there would be rules in the world about how to get admiration.
Hmm, so you''re focusing on Respect, rather than Power. I guess that would be a lot easier to achieve if you have some sort of Karma attribute.

So those who are closer to the negative & positive extremes (or zero & maximum), would be more respected by evil/good people, whereas the more neutral your karma, the more dull you seem.

sorry I don't think I explained it well...My point was there would be many abstract desires to fill (power, respect, etc) but the desires would be general rather than specific. For instance, if an NPC wanted power there would be more than one way to attain it. The way the NPC chose to attain it would be dependant upon many factors of the NPC's personality. NPC would desire an "apple" he would desire "food"

A CRPG in development...

Edited by - Nazrix on October 9, 2001 7:24:47 PM
quote:Original post by Nazrix

sorry I don''t think I explained it well...My point was there would be many abstract desires to fill (power, respect, etc) but the desires would be general rather than specific. For instance, if an NPC wanted power there would be more than one way to attain it. The way the NPC chose to attain it would be dependant upon many factors of the NPC''s personality.

Ah, so you mean your NPCs will never have goals that specific? They''ll always be generalised, but could lead to the same effect as specific ones?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement