Learning C++ by book VS degree

Started by
10 comments, last by Dr Chi 22 years, 6 months ago
what are the pros and cons of both? who of you learnt by a degree or only a book? I am half way through a Commerce/Info Sys degree and I realize that there is no more programming in the IS part. I also realize that to get a real programming job, I need to know more than just some Java and Delphi (which is what I know so far). I guess the question is should I try and pick up C++ using a book or should I go for the harder option and try a Computer Science degree? thanx!
Advertisement
Computer Science degree will teach u the basics of C++ enough to make a working program... it wont go into depth tho..
Dunno about the book...!!!
Tryin to make an RPG game like Diablo II and Everquest combined!! with tons new features!!!
I personally have learned by the book. Dispite I had two years of High School Comp Sci, which was nothing more than which I already knew. I say if you want to learn on your own, at your own pace, expecially if you''re motivated, go the book way. The Comp Sci Degree is also a nice piece of paper to have. I personally believe you learn more through a book only if you are truely movited and have the will to learn and excel at the topic at hand weither it be programming, or baking.

Huh... oh I see..
You cannot learn more on your own than you can/will through a Computer Science degree. There are things that you will not even be aware of - and therefore would never read up on - that you will be taught in Computer Science (the vast majority of programmers, for example, do not understand algorithm analysis while Comp Sci majors/graduates are required to know that stuff).

Go with self-study as a supplement.
What uni Dr Chi? I''m from UNSW.

I learned most of the stuff from CompSci. Learning from a book doesn''t give you a greater understanding than from uni. There is more support, feedback, etc from uni. If your into gamedev there is a new course in UNSW that deals with advanced gfx topics, character animation etc.
A degree will jumpstart you, but if youre intrested enough the book will suffice will only take a bit longer.
HardDrop - hard link shell extension."Tread softly because you tread on my dreams" - Yeats
thankyou all

I was hoping that there would be a really good book that would eliminate the need for another degree ...

I have made one "educational" java game for an assignment for a programming subject. It was pretty hard to do but the result was satisfying. Anyway, I want to be able to have a go at C++ first before I change my whole degree.

hi -=Code=-, I''m from Melb Uni. That new course in NSW sounds interesting.
I have to agree with Oluseyi, a CS degree gives you a background that you can''t pick up from a book. I am currently in the process of interviewing (finishing up my CS degree in December), and 90% of the companies I am interviewing with wouldn''t even meet with me unless I had (or would soon have) a CS degree.

The key point seems to be the experience in creating projects in a group. You can certainly teach yourself the language through books, but you just won''t get some other things. The whole concept of working as a team on a project, deciding which algorithms, data structures, etc. to use based on their efficiency. Unless you buy a book which deals with those issues (it''s really hard go through books like that without grades motivating you), you won''t get experience with them.

That said, I decided halfway through a math degree to change to computer science. It was a tough transition, but one I think it was the right one. Sorry if I sound pessimistic, I just thought I''d offer my opinion.

www.geocities.com/saetrum
You can learn a lot from a book, but no one book will have everything you need. A book may be strong in one area but weak in another area. I have taking some classes with some bad teachers. Let''s not say bad, just that they had to slow down teaching for the people who do not take time comprehend the language. It does not take 2 weeks to learn how to write a FOR loop in C++. Besides 98% of the people in the class already took pascal and C. The degree is important! Along with the degree, some pratical experience will help. Imagine having a 3.5 gpa but can not even write a simple "hello" program. Furthermore, you have to keep learning outside of the classroom. The job market is very competitive.

-----------------------------
"There are ones that say they can and there are those who actually do."

"...u can not learn programming in a class, you have to learn it on your own."

-----------------------------"There are ones that say they can and there are those who actually do.""...u can not learn programming in a class, you have to learn it on your own."
Heya All,

I''ve written up an essay on this issue and more and I finished revising it last night. You might be interested in what I have to say about the topic. It is not necessarily about book learning versus a degree pursuit but rather what is important as far as education is concerned for someone who wants to program games.

Check it out at:
Programming Advice

While you''re at it check out the rest of the development website at:
Numia Politico Development Website

Peace,

RandomTask

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement