[Car Physics] - Wheels rotation with traction force

Started by
1 comment, last by jujunosuke 11 years, 12 months ago
Hi everyone !

In my current racing simulation, for a RWD car, the front wheels rotation speed is calculated with the local z velocity of the car.
This work well from now, but my simulation is getting more complex now, and i was wondering if calculating the front wheels rotation with the ground friction was a good idea ?

For example, rear wheels acceleration push the car forward and move the car.
Then, i would accelerate the front wheels with the traction force (frontWheelsAngularVelocity vs ground speed).

Is this a good approach to calculate the wheels that are not linked with the drive train ?

I know that this is a very specific question but, any feedback or discussion about this is welcome.

Thank you in advance.
Best regards !
Advertisement
ya, undriven wheels have their own angular inertia and are affected by the same forces and torques you have at the driven wheels (minus, of course, the driving torque from the engine).

Stefano Casillo
TWITTER: [twitter]KunosStefano[/twitter]
AssettoCorsa - netKar PRO - Kunos Simulazioni

One more time Kunos thank you !

I will try to apply this new approach to my simulation and see if everything works and looks fine.
Kunos, my car sim is getting better, i plan to release a demo quite soon (I still don't know when exactly tho). Be sure to check your gamedev private message because you will be the first one to receive it !

Cheers !
Best regards.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement