Book for beginner networking programming in game

Started by
3 comments, last by birdkingz 11 years, 11 months ago
Hi, I wish to learn networking programming for game but I dont know where to start.

I hope someone can recommend me some good books. I did checked from the Book section (networking) in Gamedev.net but I don't think those are what I need.

Hope can get some useful advices here :)
Seeking for Perfection
Advertisement
The best textbook I know on network programming is "TCP/IP Illustrated" by Stevens.
The best textbook I know on network programming for interactive, real-time systems such as games is "Networked Virtual Environments" by Singhal et al.
Note that those are both college-level textbooks -- there aren't really any high quality networking "tutorial" books like the "for Dummies" series, because the problem itself is actually pretty complex. Kind of how there's no "rocket science for dummies" or "brain surgery for dummies" :-)
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Hi, thanks for your reply.

Actually I'm planning to apply a job as a game programmer in MMO game development company but the requirement listed there is "Familiarity with client/server game development techniques." I think I don't have this skill yet so I wish to learn some fundamental before going to apply for job.

So for the book that u recommended, do u think it fits my needs or is there any other books/tutorials that will suit me more?
Seeking for Perfection
The Singhal book is probably the better of the two choices for gaining familiarity with the issues of networked game implementation.

The best thing to do is to build a networked game, and then ship and support it, though -- nothing beats hands-on experience of what happens in real life :-)
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
I'll take a look at that book. Thanks for your suggestions :)
Seeking for Perfection

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement