Is there any reason I shouldn't purchase this Logitech keyboard?

Started by
17 comments, last by CoffeeCoder 11 years, 10 months ago
looks nice, can you swap keys around?
Ive recently gone over to the dark side (mac) whilst most things I prefer the windows way one thing the mac is superior is instead of ctrl they use (in windows parlance) alt key for most shortcuts
i.e. ctrl-c ctrl-v becomes alt-c alt-v
minor thing but wow huge difference in use. using alt is far superior

Of course you can just use a keyboard mapping software
Advertisement
It looks like the function keys may be function keys as their secondary purpose and default to being (programmable?) multimedia keys. Having used (and been annoyed by) Microsoft keyboards that override the standard function keys with media keys by default it may be worth investigating - hitting F2 to rename a file and have it Undo instead is somewhat annoying (I haven't found any information on how the Logitech keyboard implements these keys).

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

Personally, I think 70 bucks for a damn keyboard is overkill. I hate gimmicks like "LED displays" or 'backlights" - when was the last time you actually looked down at your keyboard while coding/gaming/writing/doing anything on the computer?

Honestly I'd say, go for one of the cheap (but good) ones you can get for like 7 bucks off of newegg, and save the extra cash for something that warrants it (new RAM, better HDD, fourty boxes of cereal, bigger monitor, nice speakers etc.)

Honestly, you probably use your keyboard more frequently than most of the features of your computer. Having a comfortable quality keyboard does have an impact, despite cheap keyboards being totally usable. I'd agree that gimmicks usually aren't worth the extra price, but there's plenty of features in nicer keyboards that are totally worth paying a premium.
I found this one to be fairly nice for the price: http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Natural-Ergonomic-Keyboard-4000/dp/tech-data/B000A6PPOK
I'm still rocking my Logitech keyboard from 2006. Never had a single problem with it and it still operates just fine, though I have worn off a few letters :) I don't see it crapping out on me anytime soon either. They are certainly built to last

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

I think nothing beats Model M keyboards. Logitech, Microsoft etc. keyboards are nice, but Model M ist the real thing. It's like finally getting your lightsaber.
I'll stick with my Lycosa Razer keyboard. [s]$10 more than what you are looking at, but I enjoy it.[/s] Plus, BestBuy has it, so I didn't have to order it. [link]

EDIT: Not sure if you use it, but should you ever need your menu key (opens the right click menu), I don't see it on there.

EDIT2: Misread price. :P But still.

To me it's missing the most important thing: a large Enter key. I genuinely hate the small Enter key, which causes me to constantly hit Shift, especially since I'm in the habit of using 2 fingers to somewhat lazily lob at the return key.
I use a G15 (v2) and a G19. For my next computer, I'll surely get their then-coolest keyboard as well. They are really high quality and the gimmicks are surprisingly useful. The lcd display is great for displaying 'background' stuff such as time, cpu/ram usage, bandwidth usage etc. I use it alot while programming to monitor my apps and games behaviours. The macro keys can be extremely annoying the first few days since you keep pressing them instead of Ctrl, Tab and Esc, but once you get used to them being there, you can do lots of useful stuff with them.

I've used macro keys extensively while programming to rewrite seveal lines in a very similar way (stuff like reverse assignments). I also have keys to lock my cursor to my main display and to release such locks, to pause and resume the currently debugged app/game (using thread suspend/resume) as well as kill it, to bring up a color picker (show argb, html hex, as 3d vector, ..) and so on.

[quote name='CoffeeCoder' timestamp='1338733839' post='4945812']

To me it's missing the most important thing: a large Enter key. I genuinely hate the small Enter key, which causes me to constantly hit Shift, especially since I'm in the habit of using 2 fingers to somewhat lazily lob at the return key.
[/quote]That's down to the individual keyboard layout - US keyboards have a small Enter key, UK keyboards have a large one, and other nationalities tend to use one of the two (last time I checked slightly more used the large key). The only time this should become a problem is if a US company does a lazy job of creating international versions of its products - Apple are notable offenders when it comes to dodgy UK keyboards.

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement