• Create Account

Which language to learn, and what to do with it for unity?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Chris941   Members   -  Reputation: 144

0Likes

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:31 PM

Hi all!

Like in previous posts here, I'm brand new to the industry and with the answers on those topics suggesting to learn a program language (or at least the basics) I'm confused at which one, and what to do with it.

If I want to put an arcade mode that's similar to tower defense on the main menu, how would I do that? Would I need to code that all? If I wanted to create customizations, and unlocks, and hidden secrets In levels, would I need to code that?

Basically, I have NO knowledge of programming and I'm clueless to even know what to do with it. Or what I can do with it. If I want to create a catapult, how would I code that? If I want Said catapult to be customizable, do I have to code that?

You don't have to answer these questions if you don't know how, I'm really looking for what language to use and what I could do with it, alon with an example or so if that's possible.

Any advice to a true beginner would be great!

Thanks,
Chris941

Sponsor:

#2 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 19431

0Likes

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:49 AM

Hi Chris,

If I'm not mistaken, you already have Unity installed on your computer, is that correct?

I would suggest the following course of action:Start working through the basic tutorials, examining sample projects, and asking questions about anything that you're getting stuck on. You'll find it much easier to learn once you're actually working through things rather than just reading information and asking questions. As you're going through the tutorials you'll likely start to encounter snippets and samples of code along the way, and can start to learn with real examples while you also learn how to use the editor.

Hope that's helpful! Posted Image

#3 Chris941   Members   -  Reputation: 144

0Likes

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:47 AM

Hi Chris,

If I'm not mistaken, you already have Unity installed on your computer, is that correct?

I would suggest the following course of action:

Start working through the basic tutorials, examining sample projects, and asking questions about anything that you're getting stuck on. You'll find it much easier to learn once you're actually working through things rather than just reading information and asking questions. As you're going through the tutorials you'll likely start to encounter snippets and samples of code along the way, and can start to learn with real examples while you also learn how to use the editor.

Hope that's helpful! Posted Image

Well that kind of helps, thanks! and by the way that topic you closed wasn't the same, that post was generally how Chillingo would create their games but considering you or no one else could probably answer it, thats great...if you could remove it entirely that would be better.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS