Voiceover?

Started by
1 comment, last by robbyd 11 years, 10 months ago
Hello,

I am more or less done with a short first-level demo of my game, and the main thing it is missing is voiceover. (I will mention that the game really is designed for voice and would suffer for not having it.) I want it to sound better than a bunch of my untrained friends over a webcam microphone.

Problem is, I have no idea how to go about recording decent-quality voiceover. I figure for voices I could get a good deal on some drama students from the nearby university. For recording, I don't know. Rent a studio? I don't need a world-class sound stage but cheapest ones I could find around here are pricey. Buy or rent equipment and do it in my apartment? Don't know what equipment I should get. I'm pretty much an audiophobe. Plus I'm not sure about bringing random college kids to my abode. I have a budget in the hundreds of dollars for this (no fixed number, it's a trade-off at this point).

Does anyone have any experience or at least has some educated advice?

Note: My question is only about recording. I have no questions about post-processing; I'm all good there.

Thanks.
Advertisement
Hello,

If you're an "audiophobe", lack equipment and generally don't feel good about the thought of recording people, don't do it.
You will be disappointed by the outcome lest you spend a lot of money on renting out a studio along with a recording engineer.

Every decent voice-over artist has good recording gear at home nowadays - either set up a pitch on a voice artist forum or take a look around yourself, there are quite a few really good (and affordable) people with insightful portfolios out there!

Cheers,
Moritz

Check out my Music/Sound Design Reel on moritzpgkatz.de

A friend of mine does pro voiceovers and he said that he generally does most of his work from home (like Moritz said). Here is his site http://mikegoral.com/

If post-production isn't a worry then maybe you should consider picking up the apogee MiC. Both of us have been really impressed with what it can do, and it's only a couple hundred bucks (exactly your price range).

Here is a link to the MiC itself: http://www.sweetwate...re/detail/MiC/

And here is a really great demo

[media]
[/media]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement