So what's your RPG story?

Started by
22 comments, last by ToniKorpela 11 years, 10 months ago
Irh9, it sounds really interesting. It would be refreshing and hopefully rewarding to play a game where I got the feeling that the designer wasn't just a D&D nerd (not that that's a bad thing to be) but actually took an interest in and had opinions about the larger world. I like to think that a few bioware games (Dragon Age, KOTOR, etc) were really reaching for this kind of reflection, but when I try and identify specific examples it gets too murky to be sure. I think too many designers want to make their game artistic, without necessarily realizing that the best art expresses ideas that are political, philosophical, theological, etc. If you can come up with story that has actual themes and artistic intent, and then impose a gameplay mechanic that doesn't destroy them, more power to you. I'll pay for it (maybe, probably :D). Thanks for sharing.
Advertisement
Have you ever played Final Fantasy X for the Playstation 2?
Yes. I was like 13 and not much into theme or interpretive meaning at the time. Since you mention it, I guess the whole sin catastrophe could be allegorical. I think I was distracted by the personal stories (fatalism, duty, etc.) and didn't really even consider the story of the world as anything but backdrop. I suppose that could be a lesson, that if you want to include potentially divisive or advanced ideas into a game, perhaps its best to cover them with just enough gloss that they can be ignored by the uninterested.
Then again, perhaps if the story had been just a bit plainer, it would have really challenged me to consider its meaning. :S
I do not have a story for my MMORPG idea. Basically it is sandbox with no story for the player to follow, but the players create their own stories and become heroes / villains in it and those players who play at the same time might clash with their stories like you playing a villain and burning houses, killing cows, etc. Now I start playing and I get a request from town to help them get you caught. I take the task and start hunting you. All of these actions are recorded and non-player characters you interact with might ask you about them and storyteller non-player characters tell about these things to new players and might give the new player quest to hunt for your secret villain base with stolen riches after you have been inactive for some time as in dead. Dead because the game would classify your character as dead if you are inactive long enough because you went missing from the story. I'm still playing with the idea of no-return death if you are actually killed in the game, but give these dead people new place to play like hell and heaven.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement