Alternative minecraft

Started by
105 comments, last by bvanevery 10 years ago

I think the major issue is everybody knowsn Minecraft so they do like people do with MMO's and WOW. Everybody thinks the defining game of MMO's would be WoW. I would argue that WoW has done some amazing things and obviously have won over the majority of the public but it is not the best game to play for an MMO experience nor is it the most fun. It is, however, the most professional quality for the ones that are out there ( tera and guildwars 2 have some seriously good possibilities though )
Point is, voxel based games were around long before minecraft ever existed. Minecraft is simply the one that made it big. There is thousands of things you could do to make minecraft better; thus the reason why there is over 1000 mods for the game. To simply suggest that the game is perfect as is really shows your own ignorance and borderlines on the term "fanboy". I have a personal stock in this fight because my game is a voxel based game. We are taking the core aspects of building and placing blocks but that does not make my game a minecraft clone. The premise of my game is 100% different from that of minecraft ( which if you wanted to argue had 0 until they added the bs "the end" ). On top of that the code for minecraft can very much be improved. Unique features as well as untouched modding possibility are very much open to new development.
Having stated this, the download link the OP provided does not have anything of real worth just yet. Perhaps in a later stage of development there will be more than just placing blocks... who are we to tell him that he should not work on this further. I say more power to you, just try and branch away from the normal minecraft setup.

I've read a bit of your blog. You have never used word like minecraft there. Perhaps you're right that if my game has a voxel world like in Minecraft it is NOT minecraft. I'll try thinking that way and maybe some people will play my it.

All truth about the game idea:
When first played minecraft, I immediatelly wanted to make such a game, but develop it in way I want.
I was thinking about original idea for months, but I didn't find anything. Developing such a game became an obsession.
Finally I decided to created sth. like minecraft classic and then think again how to develop it.

What do you think?
Advertisement
It needs ramp shaped blocks so you can use carts etc. to pull blocks up and down...

I think minecrft style light is necessary to make it feel right...

o3o

I liked the idea but eventually gave up. I didn't want to be seen as a minecraft clone.

The last Minecraft "clone" I read about, Castle Miner Z, grossed over $1 million on XBLIG alone. So, are you saying you don't like money? Or you hate voxel games so much, that the taint of being confused with Minecraft makes you want to run away as fast as possible? Or that you're so confident in some other game concept you have, that you don't see making $1 million as any big deal, you'll make it your own way soon enough? My point is, don't let worries about market saturation stop you. These guys still managed to hit it reasonably big, even with all those clones around. The voxel game genre is young, and if you happen to like it, just go make the game you wanted to make. People who talk themselves out of making games, don't make any money.
gamedesign-l pre-moderated mailing list. Preventing flames since 2000! All opinions welcome.
haha, jumped off the edge into an endless freefall. Anyhow, if you never do finish your game it will bring loads of experience to you merely by the fact that you attempted it. So there is always a benefit from developing a game, even its an exact clone of something else. It makes more sense if you're a programmer, if you have the time, its a great learning experience.
Other then that, I did play minecraft for maybe half a year or so, back when the "minecraft is where its at for voxel gaming era" (mostly before they added all that adventure mode and magic bulls**t and then released it). Heck I even developed several bukkit mods for it myself. And I always had those thoughts on how unrealistic it is and so much more could be added. So like someone else here said, there is always more to expand on, things that could be handled better (realism/physics) and so on. Personally I like the fact that you going for a realistic aspect here, having the player really work for digging themselves that nice little cave to pass the night is a great idea. So I look forward to the development of this game. IMHO you should make a more official thread and/or blog/website or simply re-work your first post and edit the title.... That's of course if you're serious about developing this game. Good luck! biggrin.png

[quote name='ShawnCowles' timestamp='1342097272' post='4958379']
I liked the idea but eventually gave up. I didn't want to be seen as a minecraft clone.

The last Minecraft "clone" I read about, Castle Miner Z, grossed over $1 million on XBLIG alone. So, are you saying you don't like money? Or you hate voxel games so much, that the taint of being confused with Minecraft makes you want to run away as fast as possible? Or that you're so confident in some other game concept you have, that you don't see making $1 million as any big deal, you'll make it your own way soon enough? My point is, don't let worries about market saturation stop you. These guys still managed to hit it reasonably big, even with all those clones around. The voxel game genre is young, and if you happen to like it, just go make the game you wanted to make. People who talk themselves out of making games, don't make any money.
[/quote]

I guess it's a choice of getting bad reputation and money or good/neutral reputation and no money.
For me I do game development as a hobby and I don't care about money (when it comes to game development).

I guess it's a choice of getting bad reputation and money or good/neutral reputation and no money.

I say that's a false choice. Someone is always going to think something "bad" of you, because the world is full of haters. Ignore them. No money is also likely to leave you with no reputation, although there are some exceptions like Dwarf Fortress.

For me I do game development as a hobby and I don't care about money (when it comes to game development).
[/quote]

If you're not / never trying to write much of a game in your life, then you really don't need money and it doesn't matter what you do. If you want to try to do as much game writing as possible, and make the games the best they can be, then you need money. Because without it, sooner or later other people stop paying for your existence, and you have to pay for it yourself. I've stood in food bank lines before, so I do care about money to the extent that it lets me keep developing games.
gamedesign-l pre-moderated mailing list. Preventing flames since 2000! All opinions welcome.

[quote name='CryoGenesis' timestamp='1344650717' post='4968286']

I say that's a false choice. Someone is always going to think something "bad" of you, because the world is full of haters. Ignore them. No money is also likely to leave you with no reputation, although there are some exceptions like Dwarf Fortress.

[/quote]

If you're not / never trying to write much of a game in your life, then you really don't need money and it doesn't matter what you do. If you want to try to do as much game writing as possible, and make the games the best they can be, then you need money. Because without it, sooner or later other people stop paying for your existence, and you have to pay for it yourself. I've stood in food bank lines before, so I do care about money to the extent that it lets me keep developing games.
[/quote]
You either need money or time and because I still go to school I have a LOT of free time. I'm only game developing as a hobby at the moment. I could make something big and sell it but at the moment I just want experience.
In my honest opinion it wouldn't be a great idea to try and remake Minecraft in anyway even if you did make it better by your standards its a niche that's already been filled and I can't see many people that would be willing to migrate over from it. Other than that i'm pretty sure that there is a whole source available for a minecraft style game in the unity asset store. If you decide to take on the project that might be a good place to start.

Edit -Just seen that you decided to take this on after being directed to the later pages. I will defiantly download and give it a try later on!
Hi again!
I resumed the project after 3 months of finding sense of this game, but I finally decided to write it. The reason is: Mobile Platforms. I've seen minecraft for mobile, xBox and PC are three diffrent games, which makes dev. of 'em 3 times slower and incompatibility. When I was about to leave this project i "accidentally" built and tested the game on Android and....it worked fine with 16x16 chunks on 50FPS (and my phone isn't high-end). It seemed impossible. so if I wrote this game for android it'd has a chance of being successful (lukily there aren't much games this kind on Google Play YET). And then by a few clicks I would get a version for PC, Mac and iPhone. All the versions would be the same (except input) so the games would be compatibile with each other.

I've already got a new version (with huge changes - human mob, grass, simple terrain generator, etc.). I'll place it here on 2012-11-11. Do you think, people would like my game (assuming multiple platforms, high performance and lack of all java error stuff like in minecraft)?
I'm sorry everyone, if I've touched on subjects that had already been touched on. 5 pages was too much for me. ohk, some quotes from the first page.

Me personally in minecraft its all the same. Materials that you mine all seem the same as in red stone, lapis lazuli, diamond, iron, coal, etc all have the same block design, just different colors. My suggestion is to really set them apart from each other. Instead of it be all blocks change up the formats and make it so that its not just all 3d blocks. Cylidrical blocks, square blocks, rectangular blocks, all of these to me would make the game unique.

Nice idea depending on what progression you wish it to take. If you wish it to retain as a sandbox building game, then changing the shapes of blocks is unrealistic. You know who much of an ass it would be to build? If you wish it to be an entirely different type of sandbox game, then sure. It's a great suggestion.

Also, a side note, minecraft made the the blocks look similar on purpose and is the exact same reason why the game itself has such bad graphics. They wish the players themselves to make texture packs for the games, so they encouraged its development through that exact reason. People hating the texture.

Now some of my own ideas:
-When the game becomes a little bit larger, add a campaign. (I read that Minecraft adventure mode is going to be silly)
-Global server with user-created maps
-Components: You can build sth in freebuild (creative) and when put on survival map as a set of semi-transparent blocks, to see where to place particular voxels.

Minecraft adventure mode's intention upon design and creation, was to be able to create a specific part of minecraft for people's modded maps, or "puzzle" maps. It is not designed to be playable as a normal minecraft game, but rather to allow easier and less trusting specific paths. Before modified maps could become a pain because you accidently destroyed a block that caused the entire place to collapse and ruin it, or you would play an actual "adventure" modified map which was a pain in the ass to adventure through because you had to keep in mind what you were or were not allowed to do. Besides that, the actually map builders now don't have to just trust that you won't cheat, adventure map does that for them.
Don't trust what people say, make sure you understand the implications and reasons behind something being added before stating the public's opinion.

the rest are nice ideas, but a global server could become quite a "hassle" as such. Imagine not only maintaining it, but the amount of gigs it would need.

I would have hoped the physics and gameplay be more realistic. As in, placing blocks takes time, restraints on where you can place them, gathering stuff might not be possible due to environment (1000 tons of stone on top of the base of a castle, no mining castle base for you), limit to block carrying capacity.
Of course it would require stuff like carts to move blocks around, or on multiplayer other players or npc's to help you. I just thought the player has too much power in how he can edit the world, i want to be able to make a castle where people cant just dig in in seconds or make a pile of dirt to climb over the walls...

I'm sure many people have said it, but terrible terrible idea. Just terrible. Blocks taking time to place is just another way to say we're creating a shop for you to waste your money on time saving items. This will not be an app game, no-one on the computer would find it worth it. And if you didn't make a shop, it'd be just as bad cause you'd have to sit there while a block takes the time to be placed. You have no idea how frustrating it becomes. Of course, the weight idea I can't disagree with,

And minecraft worked so well BECAUSE of the power the user had in editing the world. Taking that away is like taking away the whole idea of it. Of course, this is a different game, but you don't want to stray too far from the concepts that made it so popular.

I really wouldnt ecpect many people to play this (if thats what you want). The 'minecraft' phase has come and gone, along with games like terraria. I doubt you would be able to bring it back unless the game was really realistic.

This is a different game, he wishes it to be something that is NOT a clone of minecraft. Therefore, basing your statement of people not playing this on the idea that the "minecraft phase is gone" is entirely invalid, besides the fact that your wrong.
Minecraft, believe it or not, is one of those games that you pick up again, eventually, after you got bored of it. It doesn't run out of fun, there's just nothing left to do in it except build what you have already built. So you leave it for a year, come back, and there's fresh new content there besides the fact that you have fun building again. I;m not even going to bother to talk about Terraria.
-----
I stopped looking further, sorry. It's just my opinion on some things I saw,

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement