Rugby League Live 2

Started by
14 comments, last by Hodgman 11 years, 3 months ago
These images are from an upcoming "low budget" (i.e. not EA, Activision, 2K, Ubisoft, etc...) Australian sports game for PS3/360.
The graphics programming behind them was done by forum member "Digital", myself and our great tech-artist "Lived". Our goal was to basically take the previous graphics pipeline and "make it next gen, like FIFA". Hopefully we've succeeded in reaching a good 360/PS3 standard of quality.

The main features in the image that contribute to the kind of "cartoon hyperrealism" art-direction are:
* Physically-based BRDF's
* HDR tonemapping (photographic/filmic)
* a lot of post-processing
...which turned out to be a challenge to implement at 30FPS on ~6 year old DX9c/SM3 GPUs! But we did stumble onto some novel optimisations along the way that hopefully we can share at some point.

P.S. If there's any experienced graphics-programmers or tech-artists reading this, who want to work on this kind of technology in Australia's best city, Melbourne, then get in contact with me biggrin.png
[hr]
N.B. the usual disclaimer: Any views expressed are my own, and aren't endorsed by the publisher or developer. The publisher, Tru Blu is responsible for releasing information about the game, so I can't share any information beyond what they've already made public. I'm re-posting these images from their Facebook. If anyone has any technical questions, I'll probably have to get permission before answering, but I'll try.

If you want news from the horse's mouth, head to TruBlu on facebook, and if you're a Rugby League fan then some Australian retailers are taking pre-orders cool.png

Click here to view the iotd
Advertisement
How does the game play compared to say Rugby Challenge? Do you think its the best League/Rugby game so far?

Would be interested as the budget would be some what similar as Sidhe is based in NZ.
That looks pretty awesome! I've always loved your input in this community and it's great to see some of your work :). In comparison to the previous graphics pipeline I'd say your goal has been accomplished, nice work.
This looks awesome. I think every time you post something (IOTD or not), you blow my mind, Hodgman.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
port it to PC pls :D I don't have a PS3 / Xbox
@all - thanks for the feedback smile.png

@Guest - I'd be stepping on Big Ant's and Tru Blu's toes to talk about the gameplay before they've released any word on it themselves.
All I can say is that I am actually looking forward to the reviews/previews appearing (I think they'll be favourable), and am really looking forward to getting my own copy on release day! But then again, I'm of course biased, so you're best off waiting for independent reviews tongue.png

@Yours3!f - The Tru Blu press release only announced a PS3/360 version, but some retailers are taking pre-orders for a PC version... So a PC port is kind of unofficially assumed, I guess ;)
hmm
yaaaay thx
Two not-quite-professional critiques: Hair, on the whole, looks rather flat and could do with some anisotropic BRDF love. Faces/skin look pretty good on the whole, but the lack of sweat/flush adds a sort of uncanny valley effect (esp. considering how good the base looks!).

Otherwise, damn, son. Keep on truckin', Hodgman.

EDIT: And digitafragment!
clb: At the end of 2012, the positions of jupiter, saturn, mercury, and deimos are aligned so as to cause a denormalized flush-to-zero bug when computing earth's gravitational force, slinging it to the sun.
Thanks for the props Hodgman, and cheers @InvalidPointer smile.png

I agree with the remark on the hair. Time constraints versus the feature list ended up meaning that the hair improvements get left till another project unfortunately.

Hmm, hadn't considered skin flush from exertion, its written down in the notebook for consideration now smile.png

That said, there is sweat - the public screen shots didn't feature it as a focal point, but you can see it on this one.

Hopefully once this game is released we will be able to show off some shots demonstrating the individual techniques - but no guarantees.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement