Macs vs PCs?

Started by
32 comments, last by rip-off 11 years, 9 months ago
Apple II is the first Personal Computer (PC). So, Apples are PCs [as a joke fruits], but PCs [as a joke fruits] are not Apples.

Why do people use PC as a synonym for Wintel?
I use QueryPerformanceFrequency(), and the result averages to 8 nanoseconds or about 13 cpu cycles (1.66GHz CPU). Is that reasonable?
I though that the assembly equivalent to accessing unaligned data would be something similar to this order:

• move
  • mask
  • shift
  • move
  • mask
  • shift
  • or

So it seems reasonable to say that it takes 14 cycles for unaligned data since we'll have to do the series of instructions once to access and once to assign?
Advertisement

This is a bit off-topic, but the way people say this really bugs me.

Macs vs PCs?

Are you implying Macs are NOT Personal Computers? Do they still belong to Apple even though you just paid $5,000 for it or something?
[/quote]

This is a bit off-topic, but the way people say this really bugs me.

Macs vs PCs?

Are you implying Macs are NOT Personal Computers? Do they still belong to Apple even though you just paid $5,000 for it or something?
[/quote]

Usually when people said PC in the past they meant the IBM PC or compatible systems: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_PC_compatible
in the 90s it carried over to the x86 Windows machines (as most Windows machines were IBM PC compatible still and the Apple/amiga,etc machines at the time were not).

It has very little to do with the actual meaning of the abbrevation and more to do with 20-30 years of marketing. (Even Apple have tried to make people think that they're not selling PCs in the past)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Ubuntu beats them all out of the water...
Triple booting with Grub only to recompile my stuff on OSX86 and Vista.

I remember watching a show on facebook and if I remember correctly they use macs. Now for web I can understand why you would use a mac but what about for gaming. What do companies like Infinity Ward, Treyarch, EA, Dice, Ubisoft, etc. use? And what do you use?

I am surprised this thread hasn't resulted in a crusade yet.

Under the hood, OSX is a modified unix. The only oddball these days is Windows. It has a bad memory management and allows the graphic driver to work as direclty as possible with the graphics hardware, which makes the system unstable and vulnerable. But also is the quickest for every task where a big graphic card is needed. Microsoft knew, Windows lives and dies with gaming and V.R. I don't know what they think now, but we live in interesting times, maybe we see the fall of windows: http://www.slashgear...rophe-25240280/

Going back to the question: most games are developed for Windows today. But why do you even care? The biggest difference for you are the different toolsets available. You can develop top games for all platforms.

Ubuntu beats them all out of the water...

They all have their pros and cons, that's why they survived all these years. HasUbuntu finally received an acceptable powermanager?
Project: Project
Setting fire to these damn cows one entry at a time!
For me Windows dominates only because I see no real use of an apple product, but this is for me only, iPhones, iMacs, iPads etc did not appeal to me at all neither did their OSX

If Apple created something I needed, I would buy it, now sure iPhones are popular but then so are a lot of things. Also could you elaborate on why you would think Macs are better for 'web'? I hear a lot of vague statements like this where Macs are complimented for doing something 'better' than windows but never really explained how.
When I was working on Android project on Windows I used:
Firefox, Eclipse, command line (git), Skype, Thunderbird

When I was working on Android project on Mac I used:
Firefox, Eclipse, command line (git), Skype, Thunderbird

So basically both (Mac, PC) are pretty the same, as long as I could use software that I like. The only difference was when I had to navigate to build *.apk file and send it via e-mail. On Windows I used explorer (or totalcmd), on Mac - Finder. Thats it!
I think it really comes down to your computer habits and the price. I personally like the look and feel of Macs but wouldn't buy one, since this is not what I'm looking for when buying a computer - I could buy a better-performance PC for the same price. I think this reflects the way many people think. It's just that when you buy a Mac, you always pay more fore something that has nothing to do with actual computing (like design and brand). There's no wonder why Macs are so much loved and favored by Hollywood. Through great marketing they've become a symbol of "being cool and trendy" - the high price they put on the brand is also a marketing trick, so the product is even more desired and increases the prestige of its owner. If this is important to you, I guess Mac would be the right choice, otherwise stick with PC - if you care about performance and freedom you'll be better off in the long run.
The one big thing that really speaks for a mac is that it is based on UNIX. You have the whole power of the shell which really eases development and in general allows for building a great asset pipeline. I always hate it when windows programs dont work from the command line and/or cannot be automated. I don't know if that is something important for you and your goals but definitely something to consider. It also means that you get all this awesome open source software for nothing. If you want to do server programming for your new MMORPG than unix is IMHO the way to go. Also, with the raise of OpenGL (ES2) the game is changing anyway in the future. A lot of companies want to develop for iPhone/iPad as well as PC systems so they will PROBABLY choose OpenGL over DirectX... (and yeah i know there is MinGW, but that is nothing like a real shell).

The one big thing that really speaks for windows is Visual Studio. There is nothing like this on Unix/Mac (XCode maaaaayyyybeeee)... and that a lot of sample code on the internet is written for windows systems.

I open sourced my C++/iOS OpenGL 2D RPG engine :-)

See my blog: (Tutorials and GameDev)

[size=2]http://howtomakeitin....wordpress.com/

The one big thing that really speaks for windows is Visual Studio. There is nothing like this on Unix/Mac (XCode maaaaayyyybeeee)... and that a lot of sample code on the internet is written for windows systems.

No, most is written for Unix/Linux. Have a look at sourceforge. Also there's Eclipse which is superior to many other IDEs.
i said a lot.. :-) for example the NeHe tutorials were windows only ..
And sorry, but you cant compare Eclipse to Visual Studio...

I open sourced my C++/iOS OpenGL 2D RPG engine :-)

See my blog: (Tutorials and GameDev)

[size=2]http://howtomakeitin....wordpress.com/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement