Torque 3d! is it worth the time and money for an MMO?

Started by
30 comments, last by 6677 11 years, 8 months ago

I agree with You dwarf king 100% but um 25% isnt the actual royalty tongue.png it says that in the license but its actually alot less just send them a mail and you'll get a smaller number and as for torque im going along fine with it all i really had to do is find my way around and the docs helped out enough along with my previous knowledge with game dev, even though its a bit more manual in some places unlike udk and unity or even cry engine it does the job.hah just a side note i wonder what the end user's specs would have to be to run a cry-engine mmo on the smaller size. The secret world wants 6 series gpu's losing some potential customers if i cant run it on lower specs there ,but yeh thanks allot dwarf king you really did reassure me that ill be fine with this but u said torque only supports 32 players is that a mistake? and i read udk does max 64 unless u do some digging and grinding in some dark places to allow it to do mmo's which it wasn't suppose too ;) hah not to say it cant be done APB used to be one of my favorite games that used UE but yeh whats next tongue.png .

No as far as I know it only supports up to 32 out of the box(yes I do not aim for multi-player at the moment tongue.png ). If you want better than that then you will need a good network programmer that can work with the source code of T3D as far as I have understood from Garagegames forums and website. So out of the box it is not a MMO engine(making an MMO is really a "no go" for only two people).

Anyway it has been done by big teams as I showed here http://www.prairiegames.com/ Just remember they were not only two people tongue.png

Why not a small rpg for a start?

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education"

Albert Einstein

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education"

Albert Einstein

Advertisement
UDK will easily cope with 32, I think I've read about people going upto 250 (by experienced users with some real trickery, you won't want to try this yourself).

Plenty of games have been sold commercially using it (many AAA, gears of war, assasins creed etc) and a royalty based license is actually quite useful for developing games, plus if its a free game theres no payment required.

You say you've played with it already so you should actually be ok, plus theres loads of tutorials and free samples available.

[quote name='Dwarf King' timestamp='1345827925' post='4973043']
[quote name='CryoGenesis' timestamp='1345823023' post='4973016']
Is this a troll post? It seems like a troll post.

What do you mean? Could you be more specific?
[/quote]

Badly worded post, only two people, MMO, knows nothing about programming? Seems like the stereotypical GameDev troll post.
[/quote]

Or inexperience and need your help. I do agree that two people is really not enough and that no experience is really not a good start. The best way is to let them try to work on some programming and play around with a demo engine first(they are free). After a while they will get the idea about how much work it takes.

Of course taking a course in programming first would be the best approach. I just give people a chance before I draw the

card tongue.png

Also they seem okay to me. Interested and curious.

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education"

Albert Einstein

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education"

Albert Einstein

Hi, I do 3d modeling with 3ds Max an autodesk program. I have a lot of experience using it if you need help doing 3d models or anything let me know, to make the game in 2 years it all depends on how large the game is and what you want to include into it.
Hey guys What Should The Polygon limit be for the meshes in a single map combined all together for the average user's pc ?
Don't! If you have no experience go with UDK or CryEngine 3. Both are free to use while developing. Plenty of help to find as well as lot's of books and tutorials. Not to mention they are the best engines on the planet (with the exception of ID5 but that is not an option for you (yet)). So my suggestion would be to look at these sites:

http://mycryengine.com
http://www.unrealengine.com/udk

Granted, it's not MMO out of the box, but my suggestion to you here is that you get a small multiplay game running, with let's say 16 people (believe me it's not easy) and make your gameplay work (also not easy). Once you have some experience under the belt, move on up the ladder.

Crawl before walk, and walk before running grasshopper ;)

Good luck.

P.s Don't worry about polycount at this stage (it's mostly free these days on decent machines) you are going to have more problems with shaders and things like that.
Go wild, and look into the places where the performance hurts :)
No no no no! :)
Polygon limits a tricky one, you've got to consider the number of enemies on screen etc aswell as the polygons on the map itself. For outdoor non urban environments I've seen 1 meter or larger grids being used without seeming to be too low poly, there are then techniques to smooth those poly's into something less jagged closer to the player, this can then be scaled dependant on hardware. The GTA3 era games I believe used a grid roughly 2 meters in size with a few sections done higher or lower even, they were obvious as low-ish poly but it shows what you might be able to get away with. PLay some older games. PS2 era maybe and have a look at the poly counts used there, any modern machine will be able to beat them so you should be able to aim a little higher and still have a game capable of running on average hardware.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement