Is using a debugger lazy?

Started by
83 comments, last by SuperVGA 11 years, 7 months ago

What? I really have no idea what you are talking about now... how could I apply that to either?

"If <something> wasn't useful, it wouldn't exist" <- is a truth-free assertion. Lot's of things exist that aren't useful. But that's beside the point.

I have no problem with people stepping through their code after every checkin - if it makes you feel better, by all means, go ahead. But I continue to maintain that it's really not adding much to anything but your false sense of security.

Each time you step through your code, you are validating one particular path through your code. If you are very diligent (and have good test coverage), you might step through each test path. But these are still all only testing your "happy paths" (if you have written a test, then that path has an expected outcome => happy path). And your happy paths are already tested.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Advertisement

[quote name='Olof Hedman' timestamp='1348315848' post='4982635']
What? I really have no idea what you are talking about now... how could I apply that to either?

"If <something> wasn't useful, it wouldn't exist" <- is a truth-free assertion. Lot's of things exist that aren't useful. But that's beside the point.
[/quote]

In general, yes. But in this context of tradesmen's tools, this is rarely true.
Tools that aren't useful gets forgotten or replaced.
Lots of statements makes no sense when taken out of their context.

I don't use my debugger as quality control in the way you describe, I use it to quickly track down problems in my own and other peoples code.
I find it's extremely useful to check my assumptions about the implementation with real life data, without having to pollute the code with asserts and printouts.
Things like watchpoints and memory dump views makes it easy to quickly see that each step of the process is behaving as expected.
I can quickly set up tests and tweaks on my code and see if the behavior changes as the current theory assumes.

I don't understand why people make such a big deal about it really, its just a quick way to find problems, and to quickly check if your assumptions about what the problem really is, is true...

Its not replacing anything, its just another tool you can use, making you an even more productive coder if used right. (like any other tool in software engineering really)
Sure, in a perfect world, of perfect software engineering, where all code is written by (bugfree) AIs, debuggers will be useless, but they are still very useful now smile.png

Talking about Quality Control, you shouldn't under estimate code reviews. (which this stepping through each line is a variant of). At one place I worked, we were forced to go through each line of code with a colleague, explaining what it did. Everyone was groaning, but you'd be surprised how many small potential issues where found that way. (I don't recommend that in general though, but on some critical software, it might be motivated)
I don't know if the term "lazy" fits here well.

It is a tool; a program to help you. A compiler is a program that helps you.

If we started this debate, I could tell you that using a compiler/interpreter is lazy because you're having a program(s) take care of many things for you to make the goal much easier.

I mean you don't have to use a debugger, but many people do.

I could probably write a flat binary program, but I would benefit so much more from writing code in a programming language.

I could also write code without a debugger program, but it would probably help me with error-catching(though some just use exceptions for this).

If it works for you, do it.

I guess it's just not everyone's thing.
Yes, this is red text.

I don't know if the term "lazy" fits here well.

Agreed, but for slightly different reasons.

I'm not convinced that using a debugger rather than your brain is ultimately the best form of laziness to aim for. Instead, not having to debug code at all is a better kind of laziness (which I guess is what I was trying to express in my previous post).

I could also write code without a debugger program, but it would probably help me with error-catching(though some just use exceptions for this).
[/quote]
If you mean hardware exceptions generated by e.g. C++'s assert(), or the like, agreed to an extent. But that's not what your common-or-garden programming language's exceptions are for; how would you know you aren't missing any error cases without enshrining all code paths in tests, at which point a debugger isn't needed (perhaps until/unless the tests start failing).
I meant expections in C++ with try, catch, throw.

Although the latter may not be the absolute best way to "debug" program code, or to help decrease compiler-errors and such, a nicer way could be to comment the code so you remind yourself of what it does and why it goes there.

Single-stepping through code with a debugger can help give programmers a better picture of their analyzed code, subroutines, code structuring, etc.

Another thing you can do to avoid compilation errors and/or runtime errors is to use separate outlined classes/methods for each type of data, and pursue a way to highlight and fix each specific flagged line of code one at a time.

Most real-advanced errors in a language like C++ are very simple: pointers.

As simple as the subject may be to some experts, the creepy things pop out when you least expect them.
Yes, this is red text.

Each time you step through your code, you are validating one particular path through your code. If you are very diligent (and have good test coverage), you might step through each test path. But these are still all only testing your "happy paths" (if you have written a test, then that path has an expected outcome => happy path). And your happy paths are already tested.

I think that even falling for a trap like that is its own kind of dependence on the debugger.

Also, I'm surprised people are still posting here. I completely forgot. I guess when you question something that so many people like, you're bound to get everyone talking. At least it's been flame-free thus far.
Merely using a debugger isn't lazy at all, but writing code carelessly and expecting the debugger to find all the problems for you is.

He probably got the impression you were doing the later, and that would be where he was coming from.
"In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."
My website dedicated to sorting algorithms
A professor who uses Dev-C++ and thinks using a debugger to debug code is "lazy" is, in my honest opinion, an arrogant idiot.

"Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile"

"Life is short, [the] craft long, opportunity fleeting, experiment treacherous, judgement difficult."

To be completely fair, I told him that using a debugger helped me with a lot of null references when I was trying to handle data from files that somehow never loaded up during runtime (something I've always thought was a fairly common, small mistake people make), and his response was that those situations rarely arise for him.

Ok, now we get to the crux of it. Using a debugger is NOT lazy, however using a debugger as a replacement for propper runtime checks & logging is lazy (and bad practice). If you delete all of your assets, and then run your app, does it A) crash, or B) gracefully handle the runtime error, and print a log entry + error dialog? If the answer is A, then you have more work to do. I think I actually agree with your professor here......

To me that seems like a questionable claim, but again, I'm just a beginner.

It is entirely reasonable, and entirely likely. I've worked in mddleware before, and I've had to unit test asset loadng code to the point where it would never fail. It's not actually difficult to achieve, you've just got to apply due diligence.

Furthermore, he said that he just uses error messages to let him know whenever something goes wrong. But isn't that in itself a flawed idea to begin with? Since you only put error messages where you expect errors to occur, when a problem pops up in an unexpected place your error messages won't mean anything.

An expected error of attempting to load an asset, is that the asset cannot be found on disk. I'm absolutely certain this is what the professor was talking about. Using a debugger to catch these errors is a terrible approach, and a habit you should unlearn as soon as possible.

A debugger is a good tool to help track down difficult to diagnose problems in your code. It is not a tool that allows you to avoid writing error handling mechanisms. (As an aside, I probably use a debugger once a month maybe. Unit tests have largely eradicated my need to use one on a daily basis....)
[deleted because I'd like to just withdraw from this conversation while the withdrawin's good]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement