Is XNA dying and MS forcing to C++?

Started by
123 comments, last by viper110110 11 years, 6 months ago
Oh I envy you so much.........
I may be getting on dreamspark next year though so all is good :D
Advertisement
why not this year?

You just have to be in any school. anything that is educating and not a job. (see here at "are only students from major...")
I´m doing my A-levels at the moment and will be at an university next year. I just had to contact the dreamspark support and they said me what to do to get into the dreamspark program.
I contacted them and they said my college had to be enrolled in the dreamspark program (which my 6th form is not). However next school year I hope to be at uni studying computer science and so far I have 3 mates studying that already at uni and all are enrolled in it. My A-Level computer science teacher in 6th form is trying to persuade the school to enrol in it right now though (apparently cost per student is less than the school already pays per PC for visual studio which is up for renewal in december)
thats strange, normally dreamspark is for everyone who is at school. just say that you are in a school that isn´t in the program and that you want to register you with the manual registration and what they need to register you. then they will ask for some things and you got your dreamspark account.
Personally, while it may not be a popular choice, I'd be excited about a transition to C++. At the end of the day, a major reason for the use of C#/Boo/Javascript is ease and speed of development. This is a loss, and there's no denying that. On the flip side, you'd be hard pressed as a game designer to find a way to nullify the potential performance gains from the switch to C++. C++ is at the base of pretty much every engine for a reason. It just works. I also think that once you can write good code in C++, you can write good code in pretty much anything. It gives you a sense of careful, organized code because of the fact that it doesn't offer some of the nice safety nets of the Object Oriented languages, such as automatic garbage collection and immutable operators. When you're forced to work around the "fun" pointers regularly or wonder if you've overloaded ever operator, it creates an attention to the smaller details of a larger system. People seem to give C++ a bad reputation because it's just not as pretty as the other girls. I know that the fake object orientation and Segfaults are a pain, but C++ will always be my main woman when it comes to anything I need to perform well. You could definitely do worse. Just my opinion, though.

C#/Boo/Javascript

ONly time I've ever seen those 3 written together is in reference to unity 3d xD, windows metro is in the works for that apparently.

.NET is still in windows 8, just XNA isn't supported very well by microsoft and doesnt run under metro, only legacy.

I know that the fake object orientation and Segfaults are a pain, but C++ will always be my main woman when it comes to anything I need to perform well.

Yes, indeed... The big woman will cook a great meal for you if you treat her well!

laugh.png

Clinton

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

I was interested in XNA earlier this year since I was at the time teaching myself C#, I even bought the SunBurn game engine and played with it a bit but nothing came out of that experience. I guess I hadn't set my mind on what I really wanted then. But now that I do have a project on paper, I'm thinking of using it to teach myself C++ and DirectX instead.

I have a Bsc in CS and since I'm an old fart, I've learn over the years multiple programming languages, from Basic on my TRS MC-10, 6502 Assembly language on the Atari 800xl and C64, to Pascal and COBOL on Vax and finally C, ADA, VB.net and C# on the PC... I guess I'll be learning C++ next :-)

I'm wondering, is there a third party library or utility for C++ for importing and playing Blender object and animations?

My blogs:

http://www.osrebel.com <-- En Français
L'information libre et la joie d'apprendre

http://www.osrebel.com/english <-- English Version
Free information and the joy of learning

I'm wondering, is there a third party library or utility for C++ for importing and playing Blender object and animations?

I beleive thats the wrong question. You should be asking how to import from a graphics library. I have spent a year spinning around on where to go with things but in all honesty its just making us all go bald. The simple questions from an indie dev are:-

1. Target platforms.
2. Team development.
3. Prototyping.
4. Skillset of programmers for project.
5. Turnaround.

I even purchased GMS just to play with something thats quick to prototype with in the begining. Every developer has their likes/dislikes but in all honesty if you're game runs on your desired platform to a good standard, it could be coded in whatever!
Please Add Rep if I helped // Working on untitled 2D platformer (more to come soon)
Twitter - @MarkPashby
No worry... I've just received my books from Amazon today about DirectX and C++. I believe that with those and with the help of Braynzarsoft & Rastertek tutorials I'll be able to get by. Beside, while Blender is a great application, I'm not wed to it. If I can't find a way to import what I create with it into my game, I'll just have to jump ship and try something else. There are plenty of 3D modelling applications after all, albeit some are quite pricey.

But I don't think I'll have to, since both Rastertek & barynzarsoft have an .obj loading tutorial. I would prefer a .md5 exemple, since I could then use the animation storing functionality of that format instead of having a bunch of separated .obj that I'll have to flip in code.
My blogs:

http://www.osrebel.com <-- En Français
L'information libre et la joie d'apprendre

http://www.osrebel.com/english <-- English Version
Free information and the joy of learning

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement