Is XNA dying and MS forcing to C++?

Started by
123 comments, last by viper110110 11 years, 6 months ago
Yeah, I agree with your point to some extent, Jeffery, but Microsoft claims recently to offer strong support for XNA into the indefinate future. XNA still has a strong following, so perhaps demand will send a message adequately to Microsoft? Another thing to remember is that Microsoft just finished a good 10 year or so of heavy expense and delay from lawsuits and is now refocusing on R&D according to their spokespersons.

Clinton

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

Advertisement
Thanks for the reply :)
With all this information SharpDX seems to be a better choice for me. I will definitely give it a try.
I can still switch to C++ if I want to. But making a game in C# is way more comfortable for me.

@xoofx: I like it how you, as a dev of SharpDX, interact with the community. This convinced me, that their is quite a well supported community.

We will see what will fill the gap, SharpDX looks to be a good deal. Lets wait for Microsofts move.

-Sooker
If C# is your choice as a language, then you can try Unity3D. Its free and its not going to die soon. If you have a good grasp of C#, then Unity can be a very powerful tool for making games and it also supports many platforms. Another option will be to use the C# built in GDI, msdn can be a very good reference for it. Good Luck :D

To follow the path:

look to the master,

follow the master,

walk with the master,

see through the master,

become the master.

http://kazisami.wordpress.com/

[quote name='xexuxjy' timestamp='1348067127' post='4981706']
Microsoft do seem to be trying to kill it off, they've recently split the creators section of their site into phone/indie games sections and in the process broken nearly every single google link to the data there.

That one is plainly just an oversight on Microsoft when they updated the sub-domains for each section, forgetting to handle re-directs properly and SEO integrity possibly going down the tubes as a result. You can still open the Google links, by replacing "forums" with "xboxforums" (if you're looking for Indie games topics). It's still a bit of a pain to do each time, though.
[/quote]

I wish it was so, but a lot of people (including MVP's) have reported/raised this with Microsoft for a couple of months now and have had no response at all. Not even acknowledgement of the issue.

If C# is your choice as a language, then you can try Unity3D. Its free and its not going to die soon. If you have a good grasp of C#, then Unity can be a very powerful tool for making games and it also supports many platforms

I don´t want to start with Unity3D. I want to start with a 2D game. anything related to 3D is to far away from my actual goal and it would be overwhelming to start with Unity first.

[quote name='kazisami' timestamp='1348126895' post='4981952']
If C# is your choice as a language, then you can try Unity3D. Its free and its not going to die soon. If you have a good grasp of C#, then Unity can be a very powerful tool for making games and it also supports many platforms

I don´t want to start with Unity3D. I want to start with a 2D game. anything related to 3D is to far away from my actual goal and it would be overwhelming to start with Unity first.
[/quote]
You can actually make 2d games easily with Unity3d too (Battleheart on IOS/Android -- Look it Up).

I'm a game programmer and computer science ninja !

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

hobohm.business@gmail.com

or Personal-Message me on here !

In every 3D Framework/Engine you are able to develop a 2D game if you want to
Whether or not microsoft condones C#/XNA is irrelevant in the long run thanks to mono/monogame.
I think XNA is more a victim of politics than technology. It could have been updated to work with DX11 with relative ease if they put the resources behind it.

The problem was there was a civil war at Microsoft, between Steven Sinofsky and J Allard, and the Steven won. He was in charge of the money printing server division, then took over Windows and is credited with turning the turd ( Vista ) into a gem ( Win7 ), mostly unfairly if we are honest.

There were two competing and vastly different outlooks on the future of Microsoft, they went head to head, and Allard ( Xbox, Zune, WinPhone 7, Courier and yes XNA are his babies ) lost.

You could see the results of Sinofsky's victory almost instantly. Silverlight, dead. WinPhone 7 OS, gone and replaced by Win8 ( Sinofsky's baby ), Zune, dead. Courier, killed off and now XNA, dead. Obviously Xbox is too big to kill at this point.

That Windows 8 has "epic, putting Windows Vista to shame, flop!" written all over it, must have Allard smiling in anticipation. It was enough to make me dump my MSFT holdings.

Whether or not microsoft condones C#/XNA is irrelevant in the long run thanks to mono/monogame.

I personally think monogame is an excellent route forwards at this moment in time. Plus you have a huge number of platforms available: android, iOS, windows, mac, linux. Its easy to port straight between XNA and monogame and vice versa opening up WP7, xbox 360 and windows again. Then in beta you have PS Vita.

Across the desktop platforms theres no code change either assuming you are compiling to mono in the first place instead of .net. The blog in my signature has information on compiling straight to mono from visual studio, I can confirm the exectuables produced using that method on my desktop then run fine on my laptop's windows 7 partition (which is running .net 4, does not have mono installed at all) and on my linux mint partition.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement