Preferred development OS (Desktop/Laptop).

Started by
60 comments, last by Green_Gill 11 years, 5 months ago
I break out DOS and Turbo C++ every once in a while
If you had stopped there, you would have won the thread. :P
Advertisement

[quote name='Drakonka' timestamp='1349959260' post='4989078']
I work on my Mac (running Lion) and play on my Windows PC (currently waiting to be rebuilt after a move). But then, I work with JavaScript and HTML5 which allows plenty of flexibility in terms of what OS one prefers. I just prefer using OS X for most activities. Because the development environment isn't really hardware intensive I can work comfortably on a MacBook Air and carry it everywhere with me, working in coffee shops, parks, etc if I feel like it.

Well safari is pretty sweet, and there are a lot of nice editors to write html and js in,
so i can understand you. For the web and creative stuff a macbook is ok for me too.
[/quote]

I mostly use Chrome Canary until I'm testing browser compatibility, but yeah :) Canary + Sublime Text 2 + coffee shop.
MacBook...baah, I could buy around 4 equally performant laptops and install OSX86 onto.

MacBook...baah, I could buy around 4 equally performant laptops and install OSX86 onto.

I'd love to see some numbers to back that assertion up.

The cheapest "equally performant" laptop I can find is the HP DV7T at $900, but that comes with an anaemic 1600x900 display resolution - even though you could buy two (and only 2) of those for the price of the Retina MacBook, I'd argue that the retina display is well worth the $1,300 price premium (and I'd never even consider a 17" laptop with less than 1080p resolution).

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

[quote name='slicer4ever' timestamp='1348997827' post='4985303']
umm....how often do u buy windows?

Once per machine, if you are doing things the legal way. You are also implicitly buying Windows every time you buy a PC.

I have quite a number of Windows licenses lying around. Boxed set of Windows 3.1, anyone?
[/quote]
I'll take it, if you still have all the activation codes - you wouldn't believe how hard it is to get "vintage" games I grew up with to run on a modern OS.

The "programming environment" I use the most currently is Eclipse Indigo, how ever that is subject to change with whatever I happen to be doing.
The OS I prefer is Windows - mostly owing to it having so many more toys / tools I can work with, AND compatibility with the most resources.
I very rarely use Mac, and only use Linux when forced to ( good gods, when will 1980's style computing die?! ).

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'll take it, if you still have all the activation codes - you wouldn't believe how hard it is to get "vintage" games I grew up with to run on a modern OS.

If the hardware is too modern note that you can always use a virtual machine, which (hopefully) has compatible drivers. I boot up Windows 95 in Virtualbox and indulge in some retro gaming every now and then. I had to get a third-party graphics driver but other than that, works well (as far as 95 goes, anyway).

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

[quote name='Shippou' timestamp='1350053087' post='4989479']

If the hardware is too modern note that you can always use a virtual machine, which (hopefully) has compatible drivers. I boot up Windows 95 in Virtualbox and indulge in some retro gaming every now and then. I had to get a third-party graphics driver but other than that, works well (as far as 95 goes, anyway).
[/quote]
I use DosBox, however there are games that will not run even on that.
If I had the time ( and money ), there would be a computer for every major OS at my place - starting with the TI-99 and Atari SE

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'd argue that the retina display is well worth the $1,300 price premium

I'll have a look at the local dealer...but hey it would need to be huge for me to support a patent troll.

only use Linux when forced to ( good gods, when will 1980's style computing die

Not possible...nobody cares if you buy stuff instead.

I use DosBox, however there are games that will not run even on that.

I run Rage, Wolfenstein, Photoshop etc. in Wine 1.4 on Ubuntu.

but hey it would need to be huge for me to support a patent troll.

What, and every other tech company doesn't do the same? It's how the game is played - if you don't like it, go back to using an abacus tongue.png

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

The whole patent system p* me off and is way below my level.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement