Am i making good time?

Started by
5 comments, last by SonShadowCat 22 years, 6 months ago
i have been learning OGL for the past 1 1/2 weeks or so and so far i have been able to make 3d triangles and cubes, 2d objects, and rotate them so as the subject says am i making good time? oh and one more question... i want to make the radiation symbol in 3d but im not sure if i can make it using only triangles will i need to use quads also? "Those who serve no purpose, have no purpose" Edited by - SonShadowCat on October 13, 2001 9:34:06 PM
--------------------------------- "Those who serve no purpose, have no purpose."- SSC Oh the possibilities!!Edited By - SonShadowCat on Your Girlfriends Birthday
Advertisement
scratch that last part, it just came to me

"Those who serve no purpose, have no purpose"
--------------------------------- "Those who serve no purpose, have no purpose."- SSC Oh the possibilities!!Edited By - SonShadowCat on Your Girlfriends Birthday
being good at OpenGL programming doesn''t mean you are just _able_ to do them... being good at OGL Programming means that you can do it FAST. You have to know the faster and slower parts of OGL. It also means that you know a lot of other Programmign topics. If you still hard-code all your triangles then start thinkin'' about loading them from a file or something like that...

Ok, hope that helped,
good luck!
cya,
Phil

Visit Rarebyte!
and no!, there are NO kangaroos in Austria (I got this questions a few times over in the states
Visit Rarebyte! and no!, there are NO kangaroos in Austria (I got this question a few times over in the states ;) )
when you know alpha blending, selection buffer, matrix modes, multi-texturing, extensions, vertex arrays (packed and unpacked), stencil buffer, accumilation buffer, offscreen rendering, texture modes, display lists, masks, culling, materials, lighting, and probably a few other things i''ve forgotten, then you can say you''re good at opengl.

nehe.gamedev.net - pretty much all of those is covered in his tutorials. go though them in order to prevent getting confused as hell.

oh yeah, i forgot fogging

MENTAL
Don''t forget Vertex Shaders, Pixel Shaders, Compiled vertex arrays, fences, and all the other NVidia - T&L Extensions....

OpenGL is a very easy-to-use, straightforward API. The API will never give you a headache. The problem is: How to store your 3D-Data, how to represent your meshes, whether you want to use faces or whether you prefer a lot of hardware brushes, which is most efficient way of loading them, etc. The API isn''t the big problem.

However, NeHe is the best place to learn some basic things I think, check out his site.
I think the big part will come when you use that knowledge to process data to render to a world, unless you plan to supply every vertice by hand.
Anonymous.. what''s the diffrence between Hardware Brushes and Faces!? Hardware brushes is one of the Unreal2 Features I just don''t understand... All I know that you feed all the data into Vertex/Index Arrays.. guess that''s all it is.. maybe a display list? But a display list won''t be a lot faster if you already use index arrays..

cya,
Phil

Visit Rarebyte!
and no!, there are NO kangaroos in Austria (I got this questions a few times over in the states )
Visit Rarebyte! and no!, there are NO kangaroos in Austria (I got this question a few times over in the states ;) )

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement