Ooops... XNA is dead?!.

Started by
49 comments, last by 3Ddreamer 11 years, 4 months ago
I feel like they have "dropped" XNA because of their efforts on native development and windows 8/WinRT/WP8...

The lead developer (Shawn Hargreaves) of XNA has moved on to... a XNA-like framework for C++ http://directxtk.codeplex.com/.

Just use MonoGame (actively developed clone of XNA) or SharpDX (which will require you to learn the actual DirectX library).

I would be very happy if they happen to create another XNA-like framework for the new xbox or upgrade the current XNA.
Advertisement
With their native code push I don't think its entirely infeasible to suggest that the "XNA Replacement" on the next gen console could well support native code with a few restrictions, maybe still requiring the indie license and using the same distribution methods, if this is the case it would also be theoretically possible for a monogame port I guess. I wonder if monogame on WP8 is possible

With their native code push I don't think its entirely infeasible to suggest that the "XNA Replacement" on the next gen console could well support native code with a few restrictions, maybe still requiring the indie license and using the same distribution methods, if this is the case it would also be theoretically possible for a monogame port I guess. I wonder if monogame on WP8 is possible

Monogame is definitely possible on WP8. As is Microsoft's XNA.

The problem with XNA is that, from what we know so far, it won't be supported anymore..so no new WP8 features for XNA apps.
Well lack of XNA support is why I was thinking monogame. But I guess really thats a pointless suggestion come to think of it, its easy enough to backport to XNA which for now still exists and can deploy to WP7, WP8 then runs the WP7 apps no problem so I guess really it doesnt matter if monogame works or not, although a native version would still be cool.

Nah seriously, does somebody knows if there are any news regarding a future online platform of the next Xbox? 'Cause, as I see it, XNA offered to "tie in" Microsoft's biggest platforms around. It does surely looks like a good deal for them, specially with the direction they're going with Windows 8.

Imagine a single XNAish framework that works across all Windows 8 editions and Xbox, obviously passing through Windows Store first. It would be strange not to see such thing in the next few years.

If the XBox 720 is running some version of Windows 8 or RT, then the "tie in" would just be the Windows SDK. It has already subsumed DirectX. If there was a native framework like XNA being developed, that's where it would go, and you'd automatically have access to it on all Microsoft platforms. However I doubt they would bother with such a framework, because it appears they don't really need to. Most major commercial developers are already using their own native in-house engines or licensing products like UDK and Unity, and frameworks like MonoGame have already started to pick up the slack for managed game developers. Microsoft created a vacuum, and it has started to fill on its own. No use spending resources on a problem that's solving itself for free smile.png
That makes sense in the short term, but there are tech innovations coming on the horizon. We wonder what Microsoft will launch to take advantage of them.

Clinton

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

Here is some info about XNA and WP 8 OS: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/library/windowsphone/develop/jj207003(v=vs.105).aspx

Also, here http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windowsphone/develop/jj206940(v=vs.105).aspx could be found, what's new in Win 8 SDK.

But, no, new apps that target WP 8.0 OS can't be developed.
I find a bit amusing how somebody here is convinced that MS will support "indie" style development on the new XBox. Ya they did on the current one, but it came long after the XBox release and I have the impression that the quality of the games released with XNA on the XBox was from poor to very poor to very poor with avatars. I don't have numbers, but I doubt it was a profitable move for MS.. so I will be really surprised to see an "indie" support on the new consoles, at least for some years after the launch.

As for being "dead".. it works on X360, PC (pretty much every Windows OS out there) and WP7x ... how can this be defined "dead" is beyond my comprehension.

Stefano Casillo
TWITTER: [twitter]KunosStefano[/twitter]
AssettoCorsa - netKar PRO - Kunos Simulazioni

Well, XNA no doubt hooked and inspired many hobby and some eventual pro game programmers, so the advantages long term in that are obvious, but shorter term you are totally correct.

Clinton

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

I find a bit amusing how somebody here is convinced that MS will support "indie" style development on the new XBox. Ya they did on the current one, but it came long after the XBox release and I have the impression that the quality of the games released with XNA on the XBox was from poor to very poor to very poor with avatars. I don't have numbers, but I doubt it was a profitable move for MS.. so I will be really surprised to see an "indie" support on the new consoles, at least for some years after the launch.

As for being "dead".. it works on X360, PC (pretty much every Windows OS out there) and WP7x ... how can this be defined "dead" is beyond my comprehension.

Yeah, how remoting(another MS technique used several years ago. And as far as I know MS doesn't develop or supported it anymore either ) could be dead, if it still could be used? =)) I can't call something alive if it doesn't supported anymore(active developing, adding new features etc.). Above links could be considered only as a relief for some persons, who don't believe XNA will not be developed anymore. The sadest part of this story is: they(persons) will teach us this crap(XNA) in the uni after this X-mas, instead of changing the program.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement