IDE=runs Jar File=hangs

Started by
9 comments, last by Bruno Sofiato 11 years, 4 months ago
A program runs fine through the Eclipse IDE but hangs when run through a Jar and JNLP. The Jar has been signed and I've run similar jars through the same process. The problem occurs as shown below using txt msgs to track. INPUT is a file chosen by the user with a file browser. The functions that take INPUT are in jar libraries so I can't get any deeper without massively rearranging the code.

selectedFile = jfileChooser.getSelectedFile();

final FileConversion task = new FileConversion(selectedFile, txtArea);

//Conversion Function

FileConversion(File INPUT, JTextArea innerTextArea) {
//initialize
this.INPUT = INPUT;
this.innerTextArea = innerTextArea;

}

@Override
public File doInBackground() {
File convertedFile = new File("convertedFile.txt");
int convertstepcounter=0, convertstepcounter2=0;

publish( 1 );
IoUtil.assertFileIsReadable(INPUT);//hangs here
publish( 2 );
final SAMFileReader reader = new SAMFileReader(INPUT);//or here if above line is disabled.
publish ( 3 );
Advertisement
Do you have provided the required permissions on the JNLP descriptor ? Seems like a sandbox permission problem to me. Try running with <all-permissions/> first to pinpoint if it's indeed a security problem.

Do you have provided the required permissions on the JNLP descriptor ? Seems like a sandbox permission problem to me. Try running with <all-permissions/> first to pinpoint if it's indeed a security problem.

All permissions is already set in the jnlp
Try to put a try catch block(catching Throwable) encapsulating the method call, this block should call ex.printStackTrace(), sometimes a RuntimeError can lurk and unwind the entire stack.

P.S. Does anything get printed on the Webstart console ?

Try to put a try catch block(catching Throwable) encapsulating the method call, this block should call ex.printStackTrace(), sometimes a RuntimeError can lurk and unwind the entire stack.

P.S. Does anything get printed on the Webstart console ?

Thanks for your help so far I tried

try{
publish( 1 );
IoUtil.assertFileIsReadable(INPUT);
publish( 2 );
}
catch(Throwable ex)
{
ex.printStackTrace();
}

in the code posted and I get the same as before...the '1' prints out and then nothing happens. meanwhile its happily chugging on the IDE with the exact same code. I don't know exactly what you mean by the webstart console. After the prompts its just the program thats running.
Hmmm to turn the console on type on the prompt javaws -viewer, on the last tab there's a node which is called java console. Turn it on and see if something pop on it.

You can also try turning the debugger on the webstart application by using the Java's remote debugging facility. I never had to used it, but I know it is feasible.

Hmmm to turn the console on type on the prompt javaws -viewer, on the last tab there's a node which is called java console. Turn it on and see if something pop on it.

You can also try turning the debugger on the webstart application by using the Java's remote debugging facility. I never had to used it, but I know it is feasible.

Aite, looks like we have a something here finally...

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: net/sf/picard/io/IoUtil

at javax.swing.SwingWorker$1.call(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.SwingWorker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: net.sf.picard.io.IoUtil
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.jnlp.JNLPClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

I have the relevant jars packed into my jar file I open the net/sf/picard/io/ directory in the jar and I see the classes they're whining about so I don't know why they can't be detected.
It's all packed in one jar ?

It's all packed in one jar ?

Yeah, the supposedly missing classes run fine from the same jar in the IDE so I dunno why it can't detect them anymore once the files are exported in one big jar. Maybe its the manifest file? But I can't tell from the documentation what I'm doing wrong since it autogenerates during the jar export.
I've decided it would be easier to simply reference the jars from the jnlp file. It seems to work alright...thanks for your help.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement